Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

High latency in games after Windows 10 (7260AC)

smcle3
New Contributor I

I was requested to re-submit my issue here on the wireless forums regarding high latency in games for the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 wireless adapter. It came from the OEM in my Lenovo Y50 laptop (not installed by myself). I've tried many things in attempts to diagnose and resolve the issue including:

- Resetting the router

- Testing multiple games to ensure the latency issue is not within just CS:GO

- Plugged in an external adapter (Belkin N300 USB Wireless NIC), this produced better more stable results

- Added "ScanWhenAssociated" to the registry (previous known fix for high latency)

- Ensured all as many bandwidth eating features in Windows 10 were off such as One Drive Sync, Xbox Streaming Service, Shared P2P updates, etc.

And just a couple hours ago, wiped the entire SSHD in the laptop and did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 Home Edition 64Bit.

After the fresh install, the issue 'appears' to be less predominant, but then again, the time of day is 1:30AM and if the issue is lying within interference, it would be coincidental that

my findings on the pre-installed (during Windows 10 installation) driver 17.15.0.5 would not have my ping in CS:GO reach over 70 (perfectly acceptable).

I then proceeded to install the latest driver from Intel's download page (18.12.0.3), when hopping back in game, latency started at 130ms, settled down to around 55ms in about 10seconds and frequently would bounce

between 55-85ms throughout the match with three notable spikes to 130ms over the course of a 25min game.

Since i've done a fresh install, I don't yet have any other games to test at the moment.

Side notes that may help:

- This NIC has given trouble in the past 2-3months after purchasing the laptop. Using the OEM's driver, it suddenly started dropping connections and completely refusing out right to connect to my university network.

- The machine ran Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit installed by the OEM.

- I went through 6-7 different drivers before resolving the issue by installing 17.13.11.5 which was the 'perfect' driver. No more dropped connections, no high latency. This was all on Windows 8.1, and i proceeded using the machine like this for almost a year till now when I had windows update upgrade my 8.1 installation to Win10 home edition.

- The issue occurs even with only one other connected to the AP. My phone, which is not being actively used

- My ISP, router, etc.. Have not changed since when I had stable performance with this NIC on Windows 8.1

- I attempted to use Windows latest driver, Intel's latest driver, and Lenovo's latest driver for the NIC on Windows 10. None helped.

If there are any tweaks/settings I can change within the adapter or another driver I can try installing, please let me know. Wireless is currently the only means im able to play any game online at the moment.

Everything was stable on Windows 8.1 and I really hope we can get things working right with Windows 10 too! I know im not alone on this issue as I've been responded to on Steam discussion forums regarding the exact same problem. Some incite on what is causing this issue and how to go about resolving it is much appreciated!

Thank you for giving this a read.
0 Kudos
25 Replies
ASurm
Novice

hi,

i have same issue with my laptop, fixing by turning off wifi sense or positioning doesn't help.

SSID:MikroTikprotocol:802.11nsecurity:WPA2-PersonalIPv4-адрес:192.168.88.11DNS-серверы IPv4:192.168.88.1made by:Intel Corporationdescription:Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260driver:18.12.0.3maс:‎E8-2A-EA-59-C1-58laptop - MSI GS60-2PCi581

router - mikrotik RB951G-2HnD

on win8.1 i had 50 - 60mb/s download-upload speed, now i have only 10mb/s donwload and 2mb/s upload, huge ping in games and soft about 700 - 1500ms.

Now it's possible to use laptop only with ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
ASurm
Novice

i found solution which helps me:

Hey community! So i really hope you get a chance to read this:

Intel has been aware of the issue since the card was manufactured yet never did anything to resolve it. I had issues with this card on 8.1 as well but eventually fixed it. Again they appeared with Win10 but after two long weeks of struggling with these ping issues, I believe I have found a valid solution.

So here goes! This card is very fiddly when attempting to connect to home routers as it was created mainly for 5Ghz AC connections. What you essentailly need to do is update the 7260AC adapter from intel's website to the latest driver, 18.12.0.3 from here:https://vk.com/away.php?to=https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25199/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25199/Intel.. (ensure you get the one that matches Win10's architecutre, for most of you, this means the 64BIT edition if you have a Lenovo Y50. It does not matter if you get the full Pro Wireless installer or just the small driver only version.)

Now after you install the driver, some of you will get a "limited connection", others will have it connect but be EXTREMLY SLOW or refuse to load web pages all together. This is because the card is not configured properly for your router because Intel are a bunch of idiots who cant write proper drivers to support older hardware.

(Note this will work with Win7, 8, 8.1 and 10 for Intel's 7260 and 3160 AC cards, and possibly work for other cards too)

So the solution:

1) Right click your wireless Icon, bottom left of Winows 10 taskbar (or 7, 8, 8.1)

2) Select "Open Network and Sharing Center"

3) Select "Change adapter settings", found on the left

4) Right click your wireless connection and select "Properities" (ensure you are doing this on the faulty wireless card and not ethernet or a different wireless adapter if you have more than one)

5) Select "Configure"

6) Select the "Advanced" tab and change these settings from the defualt to the ones I have indicated

- 802.11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz conenctions to 20mhz ONLY (Defualt is Auto)

- Prefered Band 2.4Ghz (Defualt is Auto)

- Roaming Agressiveness 1. Lowest (Defualt is 3. Medium)

- Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Defualt is 802.11a/b/g)

The first and last steps are MOST IMPORATNT. The first step, changing connections to 20mhz only stoped giving me "limited connetions" as this forces the antena to penatrate through walls. The last is what seems to have compleatly eliminated the ping spikes. It seems that Windows 10 was causing my connection to the router to defualt to the 802.11a standard which is slower and less reliable. Setting wireless mode to just b/g forced the card to only connect using the faster speeds. Setting it to just 'g' ensures the very fastest speed avaliable on 2.4Ghz routers with this card, however this will limit the compatibility when connecting to other roters that may be older. Either 'b/g' or just 'g' seem to have both elimiated ping spikes. I suggest to choose 'b/g' to allwow you to connect to diffrent conenctions, however, just 'g' seems to have worked fine with my home network.

Finally, to eliminate any issues from Windows 10 itself, make sure to disable P2P updates in your wifi settings. Open the Xbox app and sign in, go to settings and disable Game DVR. Open wifi settings and disable auto connecting to wireless hotspots. And finally, if you are not using any bluetooth devices, turn off bluetooth in Windows 10 settings so the wireless card has less interference to deal with.

Now I can finally go back to CS:GO without crazy lag spikes ruining the game. Not to mention finally not be afraid of having these spikes occour during a competitive match. I've played a couple games with this fix and have not noticed the spikes like before. Luckily fixed it before the 30days came to a close and saved my rank from dissappering in game.

smcle3
New Contributor I

Yep! this is the answer I personally wrote, it can now be marked as the Correct Answer to this problem. Glad it worked for you.Hopefully intel software engineers / driver engineers reads this too!

0 Kudos
ASurm
Novice

Thank You! it saves me from backing up to win8.1.

0 Kudos
JCato2
Beginner

Just want to take a second to say thank you to mykrode and surmneok . Was having issues with videos buffering, connection dropping in games, and latency until I found this solution. I stuck with my current driver: 7260-AC driver version 17.15.0.5 and followed this solution:

"So the solution:

1) Right click your wireless Icon, bottom left of Winows 10 taskbar (or 7, 8, 8.1)

2) Select "Open Network and Sharing Center"

3) Select "Change adapter settings", found on the left

4) Right click your wireless connection and select "Properities" (ensure you are doing this on the faulty wireless card and not ethernet or a different wireless adapter if you have more than one)

5) Select "Configure"

6) Select the "Advanced" tab and change these settings from the defualt to the ones I have indicated

- 802.11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz conenctions to 20mhz ONLY (Defualt is Auto)

- Prefered Band 2.4Ghz (Defualt is Auto)

- Roaming Agressiveness 1. Lowest (Defualt is 3. Medium)

- Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Defualt is 802.11a/b/g)"

No more issues.

0 Kudos