Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

How do I make my-wifi share Internet?

idata
Employee

Greetings,

I need to connect a mini-galaxy samsung phone to a dell xps17 laptop using the my-wifi technology, so that they can share Internet.

The laptop has the following specs:

- Dell XPS17

- Intel i7 - 2630 QM

- 8 GBs Ram

- Intel Wifi link N-1000 BGM

- Windows 7 (64bits)

While using the My-wifi technology provided by Intel, I am able to setup a connection my computer and other devices, such as other laptops or cellphones.

They recognize the wifi connection as I program it, with or without security measures activated.

However, the Internet can never accessed through the cell phone or the other laptop.

This situation occurs either if the Dell computer is acessing to Internet from a LAN or via a Wifi connection. The dell computer acesses the internet just fine, but the other devices do not, if they're using the my-wifi provided by the dell computer. The devices are able to access other wifis without a problem using the router that gives Internet to the dell. So the problem, must be in the my-wifi setup.

I have tried changing the sharing definitions I have tried activating an deactivating the Share my Internet on the My-Wifi window. I have changed the channel frequency from 1 to 11, without success.

I have called Dell about this issue, they say they are not responsible for a third party software that comes by default.

Intel's troubleshoot solutions thus far have proven futiile.

Does anyone have this problem?

Did anyone fixed it?

Regards

Carlos

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Dear all,

Similar problem. Intel My Wifi allows my devices to connect but there is no internet access.

As far as I can see the IP adresses, subnet mask etc are not assigned properly. I have checked the the LAN adapter or wifi adapter being used has ICS enabled. I checked the DHCP setttings in MY Wifi Technology Options but these DHCP is not allocating the IP address that are specified.

If I connect a device and share the Internet, it shows 'acquiring IP address' followed by 'connected'.

The connected device then has

IP address 169.254.82.117 (although the IP address range is specified as 192.168.16.1 to 192.168.16.254 in options)

Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Router >nothing<

DNS >nothing<

Also checked the properties of the adapters connected to the internet, and they have DHCP enabled....

All help greatfully received!

CJ

Windows 7 SP1

Dell xps 15z, i5

Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230 wifi card

Atheros AR8151 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller

For info to indicate that there was no conflict with my internet connection: LAN default gateway and DHCP server 192.168.255.254

My LAN IP address 192.168.250.175

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good day Carlos,

Are you doing the same thing I tried to do? Are you trying to skip buying the wifi transmitter/router and use the wifi signal from the computer/laptop and connect to the internet through the laptop? If so, I'm not finding a way to make the radio in the laptop operate the same way as a router radio. If you have a router with wifi, then never mind...

JB

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Or... Maybe the firewall is interfering with your connection as in this piece...

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/mywf/sb/CS-029375.htm Intel� My WiFi Technology (Intel� MWT) — Does Intel� My WiFi Technology share Internet access with connected devices?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John Bonner wrote:

Or... Maybe the firewall is interfering with your connection as in this piece...

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/mywf/sb/CS-029375.htm Intel� My WiFi Technology (Intel� MWT) — Does Intel� My WiFi Technology share Internet access with connected devices?

Check out website shared by John B. : http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/mywf/sb/CS-029375.htm Does Intel® My WiFi Technology share Internet access with connected devices?

Follow the steps: Setting up Internet Connection Sharing ICS (Default view, not Classic view)

0 Kudos