Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

How do I use the bluetooth on my Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 wireless/bluetooth adapter. I also happen to have a small plethora of bluetooth devices that I would like to use with the laptop. I have used the Intel Driver Update utility on the website to check, confirm, and upgrade all of the parts of my laptop to their latest drivers. I have confirmed that under Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 > Properties > Advanced Tab I see the Bluetooth(R) AMP and that it is set to Enabled. Finally, I have also confirmed that if I go to the Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > The appropriate wireless connection (using the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230) > Properties... I see that the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) + High Speed Protocol is there and checked.

But I have nothing that actually prompts for bluetooth connectivity, and nothing that i can run to search for bluetooth devices.

So... How do I actually get bluetooth to work? The Intel site says everything is up to date at this point. I'm not sure what the next step is

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Win7?

Do you see any adapters under Device Manager > Bluetooth Radios?

Or do you see Bluetooth icon on systray?

---

Disclaimer: Not speaking for Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Indeed, Windows 7.

There are no adapters under Device Manager > Bluetooth Radios. There is no Bluetooth Radios section.

There is also no bluetooth icon on the system tray.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To update from this, after a restart (or two) I was prompted on a driver installation and now I have the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 3.0+ High Speed Adapter installed and Bluetooth Radios shows up in Device Manager. However, during this installation the "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" reported being unplugged and the installation was not successful.

In device Manager I now have the Radio but there is the typical caution sign that indicates dirver issues. Any help at this point would be advised as I keep seeming to loop back to this issue.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Please check "Program and Features" by clicking on "Uninstall a program" from the Control Panel for "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology". Click on it to see the version at the bottom of the Window. It should read "Product version: 2.2.x.x".

If you have a older version, please install the latest version from here for your OS and reboot.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21713&keyword=bluetooth&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21713&keyword=bluetooth&lang=eng

You will see "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" entries in Device Manager if you have any Bluetooth devices paired already, and if any of them have Bluetooth services (usually some custom services) not supported by Intel Bluetooth Stack.

For some reason, the driver yellow banged. Let's try the following first

Please check "Program and Features" by clicking on "Uninstall a program" from the Control Panel for "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology". Click on it to see the version at the bottom of the Window. It should read "Product version: 2.2.x.x".

If you have a older version, please install the latest version from here for your OS (x64) and reboot.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21713&keyword=bluetooth&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21713&keyword=bluetooth&lang=eng

You will see "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" entries in Device Manager if you have any Bluetooth devices paired already, and if any of them have Bluetooth services (usually some custom services) not supported by Intel Bluetooth Stack.

-----

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Programs and Features states that it is version 2.2.0.0266.

I do not see Bluetooth Peripheral Devices in Device Manager, it was only present during the driver install that windows did on boot-up. I have not seen it again since.

I am, however, confused. I have

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless for Bluetooth(R) + High Speed Internet (v 15.3.0.0398)

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology (v 2.2.0.0266)

Should I have both of these?

I also, of course, have the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (v15.03.1000.1637)

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Yes, both are required. The 1st one provides Bluetooth high speed support. The 2nd one is the profile extension pack.

You still don't see BT readios in device manager or BT icon on systray?

----

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do now see BT radios in device manager, but the item inside gives the yellow caution. There is no icon in the systray. :\

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Try uninstalling Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology (v 2.2.0.0266) (reboot required) and check if BT icon comes up (no yellow bang in device manager). Prior to that, could you report what is the error code you see for the yellow bang issue? (Right click on BT radio, Properties and check the general tab)

------

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm afarid without making any changes, the bluetooth radios have disappeared . Not sure if it would self-uninstall if it didn't install properly, but I'll see if I can get back to this step. The error was originally Code(43)

0 Kudos