Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7489 Discussions

How to ban a specific AP from a certain wifi

notme
Beginner

I currently use a wifi network that has multiple APs. Unfortunately, the one with the strongest signal doesn't work.

I got Killer Intelligence Center with my laptop, and it allows me to switch to a different AP, which works. However, my wifi randomly switches back to the strongest AP from time to time and I lose internet connection.

Is there a way to ban specific APs, or make it so that my laptop stops switching automatically?

I'm on Windows 11 if that helps.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello notme,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your laptop.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. What is the brand and model name of your laptop?

3. What is the brand and model name of your wireless adapter?

Also, you can get in contact with the AP manufacturer or your Internet Service Provider and they might be able to provide steps to change the router/modem/AP configuration.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
notme
Beginner

Thanks for your answer Deivid!

My laptop is the MSI gs75 Stealth 8sf. I am using the original adapter/wifi card: "Killer(R) Wireless-AC 1550i".

The Wifi I am using is subscription based, and basically every personal router in the city broadcasts a personal AP and a subscription only AP. So I can connect to any of the subscription APs, and the one my laptop keeps switching automatically to does not work.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello notme, 

Thanks for the confirmation. In order to investigate this issue further, please provide the following:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Do you know the model of the AP that is not working?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
notme
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

1. I ran the SSU. What information do you need?

2. It is most likely one of the Xfinity wifi routers.

Reminder: While Killer Intelligence center clearly has issues recognizing which of the APs with the same SSID has working internet; for my personal use I just need to know how to either:

-Block/ban a specific AP

-How to stop my laptop from automatically switching to the bad AP

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello notme, 

Thanks for the confirmation. In this I will need the complete report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU), I would need you to attach the report to your next response.

I appreciate your understanding.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello notme, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello notme, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, since the operating system controls which network the laptop is going to connect the only recommendations would be the following:

1. Try going to network & internet settings then wi-fi and select the wanted wi-fi network, then uncheck connect automatically when in range.

2. Select the private option in the Network profile.

I recommend you check with MSI for further support.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos