Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 7260 AC for desktop does not work under windows, works under linux?

JMoff
Beginner

As the title of this post claims, I've recently purchased a desktop Intel Dual Band AC7260 + Bluetooth for Desktop (it installs in a PCI-Express x1 slot). I cannot get the wifi to work under windows under any conditions.

1- I know the hardware works fine, because both bluetooth and Wifi work great under ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (x64).

2- In Windows, bluetooth works fine.

3- Under Windows, I cannot enable the wifi no matter what I do.

I get this message in device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Event viewer gives me these two errors every time I try to enable the card:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

followed by

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

I've tried many different driver versions, from the latest 17.13.11.5 drivers all the way back to older drivers in the 16.x range. I've tried clean installations of Windows 7 Home Premium (x64), Windows 8.1 Pro and even tried the Windows 10 Technical Preview, and I get the same error no matter what combination of operating system / driver I use. These are clean installations on a home built desktop. I've tried swapping the card out to another PCI-E slot, but that changes nothing. I've tried disabling every single third party device on my motherboard (I have an Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1), but that doesn't change anything either.

I've searched around these forums a bit to try and see if any other people have similar problems, and many people have similar issues, they are generally related to the card giving a code 10 error coming out of sleep. However, in my particular case, the wifi device never starts, even with sleep modes disabled.

At this point, I'm completely out of ideas. Anyone?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Joel,

In this particular case, you may want to try the following:

1 - Uninstall Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.

2 - Reinstall wireless drivers. Use customize path and enable all the three options.

3 - Reboot computer.

4 - Install Bluetooth* drivers.

5 - Test connections. If it does not work, you may want to take a look at the steps found in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104 Fix: "This device cannot start" Code 10 error in Device Manager in Windows

Let us know if this piece of information helped you to find the solution.

JMoff
Beginner

I've done what you've suggested. Do not that I've spent the better part of the past three days reinstalling Windows from a clean disk, effectively reinstalling the wireless drivers from a clean slate every single time, so I highly doubt that it's a "driver isn't installed properly" issue. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview both come with a built in driver that should work, yet that still doesn't work either.

In any case, the Intel ProSET Manual Diagnostics tools fails on the hardware test, claiming that "Wireless Hardware is not Bound to Transport Driver". Here is the full log from the generated .csv file:

# Event,Source,Time,Error Severity,Domain,User,Description

1,Manual Diagnostic,03/09/2015 20:43:54,Warning,Unknown,dnx3,Hardware Test - Result : Failed, Summary : Wireless Hardware is not bound to transport driver

The troubleshooting information in that particular tool tells me that I should enable my hardware device, which of course I've been trying to do for several days now, and that if all else fails, I should reinstall wireless drivers, which I have also been doing many, many times.

I've tried the suggestions on Microsoft's website relating to Code 10 issues. Their first suggestion is to (urg) update the drivers. The microsoft fixit tool tries to reinstall the wireless driver, which it does, and of course solves nothing as this is what I've been manually doing countless times, it's final solution is to "update your drivers". (urg)

Basically, none of this helps. The event viewer logs still tells me:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 # 3 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

and

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 # 3 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

no matter how many times I reinstall Windows or various driver versions.As a last resort, I've tried moving the the Wireless Card into another Desktop PC (which is a completely different, much older build), and I get the exact same issue. Code 10 errors, driver wont load, bluetooth works fine. The fact that no matter what I do, I cannot get the wireless device to enable under any circumstances would naturally lead me to believe that it's defective hardware, yet everything works 100% under ubuntu linux. I am completely out of ideas at this point.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Joel Moffatt,

You can try a full power cycle and also check with the desktop board OEM the configuration and if meets the PCI requirement to handle products like this one.

Also, please enable the power management option to avoid issues after resuming.

0 Kudos
MMart43
Beginner

The card works flawlessly under Ubuntu. Why would power cycling or checking PCI requirements make a difference?

I just bought the same card to replace the AC 3160 (which works fine) and have had exactly the same problem with the AC 7260. I bought it since I figured if one card worked, the other should too since they use the same driver. A fresh install of Windows 7 or Windows 10 makes no difference (error code 10 as above) and tried a range of drivers. Yet Ubuntu works great on the same machine.

I understand my OEM might not support this card on my older laptop, but it doesnt explain why Ubuntu can do it. Clearly this is not a pure hardware problem but a combination of Windows driver and hardware. But why my AC 3160 works but the AC 7260 doesn't I can't understand (basically the same card with a 2x2 antenna).

I hope someone has an answer. My answer soon is going to be buy another brand

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hugga,

Our recommendation is to contact your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer. Please bear in mind that the computer manufacturer customize the adapter in order to meet all the requirements of the system it was meant to be installed. Another adapter, even if it is the same brand and model that is not validated by the computer manufacturer may not work as it should due to such customization. Please check this document online as it contains information on this matter: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

*If the adapter you have was meant for laptops, you may experience low performance as it was not designed for desktops. Check this out for further information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-desktop.html Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth* for Desktop

On our best effort to assist you, you can try a clean installation of the drivers. Here is how you can do it:

1. Download and save the lates driver version 18.40.x by accessing this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Drivers & Software and download the one according to the version of your OS and architecture, 32 or 64 bit

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
MMart43
Beginner

Whilst we appreciate your reply, we shouldn't need to repeat:

• A fresh install of Windows 7 or Windows 10 with no added software makes no difference
  • Another operating system (eg Ubuntu) works perfectly out-of-the-box

If neither operating system worked, I'd accept it just wasn't a compatible card with this laptop and move on. It doesn't make sense to me that the Windows driver wouldn't work on the same machine that works for Ubuntu, except to suggest a driver oddity.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hugga,

We do understand your point. The steps above suggest an clean installation of the wireless adapter drivers and not a clean installation fo the OS. We do apologize if there was any misunderstanding with the procedure above. If that is ok with you, please do a clean installation of the drivers as instructed above and let us know if there was any improvement.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

0 Kudos
ik
Beginner

Any development on this issue ?

On two laptops from different vendors (one Dell another Acer) I have the exact same issue: When "AC 7260" installed, windows only enables bluetooth and wifi doesn't work. It gives errors (in event viewer):

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

I tried all the past and the newest intel drivers (both manual install and automatically with intel's own driver update program).

The issue is the intels drivers on these new skylake motherboards.

Also on both machines, Linux (opensuse) can see and enable "AC 7260" flawlessly.

Dear Intel developers (if any reading this), to replicate the bug : Take a skylake motherboard try to use it with "Intel AC 7260" in windows (instead of 8260).

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ilkerk,

Are these wireless adapters installed by factory or were they installed later?

0 Kudos
ik
Beginner

They were both installed later.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ilker,

Integration is not supported by Intel. You will find more detailed information on this matter here:http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Linux* is an open source OS and this may be the reason as to why it works flawlessly as you have stated. As for Windows*, in this paticular case that it is an integration. We recommend to contact the computer manufacturer as you may be encountering compatibilty issue.

Please, bear in mind that a http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer may customize the OS and the original wireless adapter in order to be fully compatible with the type of system you have.

Did you do a BIOS update and then tested your connection? If not, please do so.

Regards,

Alek

0 Kudos
ik
Beginner

Alek,

Yes bios updated in both computers. I don't think computer manufacturer will help on this one. It is a driver issue and both Dell and Acer are both using stock intel drivers.

From what you write I understand that Intel does not support AC 7260 under new skylake architecture in Windows 10 (and Windows 7 as noted in OP and probably other versions).

In fact that is the first time I've seen a wifi card driver is not supported under windows but supported under Linux.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ilkerk,

Linux* is open sourse. Regarding Windows* there is a chance the the OEM (Original Equipement Manufacturer) customized it as well in order to fit the system specification. When this happens, issues such as this one may occur. That is why it is important to contact them. However, they might be policies of support regarding integration as well.

regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
ik
Beginner

Aleki,

I understand Intel will not provide the drivers. At this point there is no technical issue that needs a solution.

My point is that by not providing backward compatible drivers (even for 1 generation) Intel is forcing OEM manufacturers (and consumers) to buy newer generation cards. That smells like a marketing. How do we know they are compatible ? Well AC 7260 working on Linux is a proof that they are indeed compatible. Also note that Linux drivers are written by people who has less access to information about intel cards/chips. So it must be straightforward to develop the driver for Intel.

P.S. Asking drivers to OEM manufacturers is out of question. We all know they use the intel drivers and why would they write new drivers for Intel instead of just putting newer generation cards into their configurations...

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ilkerk,

We understand your point but it is important that you know that Intel does not sell wireless adapters directly to end-users. They are aimed to OEMs so they can install the adapter according to the type of system it is meant to and it may suffer customization that may not be found in our generic drivers found in our download center. You can find more information in this advisory regarding software installation here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005600.html Install Intel® Wireless Drivers and Software

Please, bear in mind that Intel does not support integration which is when the original wireless adapter is replaced. That is the reason as to why the OEM is the best option as they can provide you a list of supported adapter for the type of system you have. Please check this documentation for further information on this matter: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

There are cases that when clean uninstalling the current drivers and clean installing the new drivers would resolve the situation. You can find the step-by step for a clean installation on post # 5 of this thread.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
ADroc
Beginner

Hi Joel,

I have the same problem here. The PCI card is the only card on the motherboard (Asus Maximus Gene VIII, latest BIOS).

Except for me it is on and off. Sometimes Windows 10 take it and I can use internet, and some days, I end up with code 10.

It drives me crazy.

When it works I got 250+ Mbps. I never tried Linux but probably could, that is a good idea.

Drivers: 18.40.0.9

The eventlog of the machine does tell a bit more:

Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfigDate: 6/10/2016 6:38:02 PMEvent ID: 4003

Task Category: None

Level: ErrorKeywords: (536870912)User: SYSTEMComputer: The-Refugee

Description:

WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter.

Code: 1 0xC 0x4

Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfigDate: 6/10/2016 6:38:02 PMEvent ID: 4003

Description:

Code: 2 0xDEADDEED 0xEEEC

Log Name: SystemSource: NETwNb64Date: 6/10/2016 6:38:02 PMEvent ID: 8000

Level: InformationKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: The-Refugee

Description:

The description for Event ID 8000 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP1

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfigDate: 6/10/2016 6:38:03 PMEvent ID: 4003

Description:

Code: 8 0x0 0x0

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

bitonio,

Have you consulted with ASUS* for compatibility? It is important to check with them first if the Asus* Maximus Gene VIII supports this adapter.

Regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos