Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel 9260 built in wifi on Aorus X470 Gaming 7

Glam
New Contributor I

I have just purchased a new X470 motherboard that features a built in Intel 9260, but upon installing the drivers I have found that it doesn't work properly. It will work for a split second then cut out, depending on the driver (Intel website or Gigabyte website) will BSOD with irql_not_less_or_equal from netwtw06. The event viewer spews out "network adapter returned a wrong value " then an attempt to reset the adapter. Are the latest drivers not compatible with Ryzen?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Glam
New Contributor I

The official Gigabyte X470 f4e BIOS seems to have solved the wifi issues but I will update if the issues persist after awhile. Just be cautious as the f4e bios also seems to cause memory instability, even with default XMP profiles.

Edit: It does not seem to be the bios, but a Windows Update, however im not sure which.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
37 Replies
RGold3
Beginner

I just purchased the same motherboard and have the exact same issues. All the reviewers of this motherboard used an earlier BIOS no reported no WIFI issues. I updated mine right away so I cant say for sure it is the new BIOS that is causing the issue. I raised a tech issue with Gigabyte but Im glad you raised one here as well. I hope this gets resolved soon.

0 Kudos
Glam
New Contributor I

Did Gigabyte get back to you? Its got to be some sort of driver compatibility issue so maybe they are aware of the issue.

0 Kudos
Glam
New Contributor I

The official Gigabyte X470 f4e BIOS seems to have solved the wifi issues but I will update if the issues persist after awhile. Just be cautious as the f4e bios also seems to cause memory instability, even with default XMP profiles.

Edit: It does not seem to be the bios, but a Windows Update, however im not sure which.

0 Kudos
RGold3
Beginner

The same BIOS from the link I posted? Still has not helped me, same issues of not actually being able to connect.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello srg3037,

Please make sure that your https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-update-windows-10 Windows 10* is up to date and let us know if there any changes. Also, have you tested connecting to a different network (if possible)?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
RGold3
Beginner

I did a fresh install of Windows using version 1803. A newer AC 9260 driver gets installed by Windows (driver version 20.50.0.3). Still the same issues as before. Able to locate networks to connect to, but when I attempt to it fails to connect or adapter resets.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello srg3037,

Thanks for your reply. The issue seems to have been fixed for other users by having drivers, BIOS and operating system up to date.

At this point, we recommend to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html contact the motherboard OEM for further support options or hardware replacement if required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm having similar issues with the same motherboard and I am running the latest BIOS. No BSOD but the 5Ghz is pretty much inoperable. It resets itself when I attempt to connect. 2Ghz is very slow and if I download at a decent speed it throttles back and eventually pauses. I didn't have many issues prior to this with my previous adapter.

Things I've tried:

Clean install of Windows

Installed latest BIOS for my board.

Removing latest Intel drivers (cleanly... add/remove software... device manager and uninstall device w/drivers... cleaned temporary files and reboot) and installing latest OEM provided drivers. Same thing. I am now back on latest Intel drivers.

creating wireless profiles with the administrative tools

I've already created the WLAN report and it looks pretty horrible to be honest. I have no control over the router used in this shared residency, so I'm really at the end of the road here. I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bibalo,

Thank you for posting your inquiry through our communities.

Please provide me with the .txt file that https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-Best the System Support Utility will generate so we can check your current configuration. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

As well, can you please provide us more details about your current settings?

You mentioned that you did not have issues with your previous adapter?

Did you replace/upgrade it?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I've attached the SSU report and the WLAN diagnostics. To be clear prior to this I was using an Intel 7260 desktop edition in my Z97 chipset. I've since switched to my current configuration. This build originally had a ASRock Taichi board with Wifi (Intel 3168), which I also couldn't get to work properly, among other things. I tested the 7260 in the same board and it was just as flaky... weird since it worked fine in my Z97 chipset. So I returned the board thinking it was defective in some way (I was also having a few issues with the BIOS). I now have the Gigabyte board and I'm experiencing the same issues. I'm feeling like it's some type of compatibly issues with Ryzen or the AMD chipset?

Quick timeline summary:

Z97 with 7260 - worked fine

ASRock Taichi X470 with 3168 built-in or 7260 desktop - same issues regardless of adapter used.

Gigabyte Aorus X470 Wifi with 9260 - same issue (haven't tested the 7260 in this build)

Best,

Kevin

0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Sorry, forgot to include current settings, I thought they might be in WLAN.

Basically WP2 Personal (AES-CCMP) for both connections. I didn't change much if anything else in the wifi profiles created. Other than to make it auto-connect and selecting the appropriate band. I've done it the simple way through Windows wireless settings as well. InSSIDer shows very low interference in the area. I'm able to eventually get connected to 5Ghz band but it's dirt slow, as pictured. SNPP and SNPP-5G are my home networks.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bibalo,

Thank you for your patience.

We are currently investigating your case; I will reach you back as soon as we have an answer.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bibalo

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the quick timeline summary that you provided to us, we suspect that the problem could be caused by a compatibility issue (as you mentioned) among Ryzen* or the AMD* chipset.

Based on the manufacturer's WebPages, our cards meet the minimum requirements; however we strongly encourage you to double check with them if these specific models (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 9260 and 3168) are fully compatible with their systems:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp# Specification https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp# Specification

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10# sp https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10# sp

Another possibility could be the router (since you do not have access to it) however the fact that the Z97 system was working with the AC 7260 tells us that the card is fine, and that the router is also working properly (theoretically.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thanks for looking into it for me. Actually both motherboards came with the Intel adapters pre-installed. If they're not compatible then they're selling incompatible hardware and that seems to be a bit of a problem. The other day I happened to let Windows search for another driver for the adapter and it happened to find version 20.80.1.1... which it installed and it actually seemed to provide a decent connection. The occasional disconnect but speeds and latency were consistent. I checked the Intel driver site and found a new version listed, 20.80 whereas the last driver I downloaded was 20.70. The question here is, is this driver newer than the one listed for download? Or is there something funky with the version numbering that Intel uses? 20.80.1.1 is dated 08/14 according to the device driver properties. Oh well, since I am having issues still I am going to install the latest set and see if that helps. They appear to have addressed the BSOD that some users were experiencing. I'm hoping this is related to my issue.

So I guess the only question I really have now is regarding the driver version numbers and which is newer? 20.80.1.1 or 20.80.0.5...

Thanks again,

Kevin

0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Guess I answered my own question, upon trying to install the driver it told me a newer version is already installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bibalo,

Thank you for your response.

I was taking a look to your posts and wanted to ask about the driver installation, did you have any success?

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
KDiAm1
Beginner

Yeah I ended up removing all the drivers. By that I mean, I uninstalled the device and driver as many times as it took for windows to not have any older versions left. Just installed the latest one from windows update 20.80.1.1 (driver only). Seems to work pretty well, initially connects better to the network but still eventually continues to stall and disconnect a lot. Drove me crazy because downloads would fail and games would disconnect. I went out and bought an older Asus Realtek-based adapter and its been working flawless for two days now. I have to say I think there's something odd in the way Intel's wireless works. Sad that I had to buy a wireless solution even though there was one included in my brand new board(or boards, since I returned one for the same reason). I really don't have to the time or patience to wait for a driver that works properly to come out. It may work fine on Intel-based systems? I'm not sure...

That said, when the connection is there... it's great, speeds are as they should be. Something just seems to freeze the adapter and cause it to pause for an extended period. I attempted to ping google's DNS and even bring up the router's interface just to be sure it wasn't just something else, but the entire connection is done. I've experienced this on both boards, and they were both fresh installs of Windows. I don't have any sort of odd hardware config. So I can't be the only one experiencing this, but most people probably only use wireless in a pinch. Unfortunately that's not an option at the moment.

But thank you for your help, I do appreciate it. Not your fault and I don't meant to rant, but the whole situation was just a little more than frustrating.

Best Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos