I recently tried to install Windows 10 32 bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad T460s. I had been using Win 7 64 bit; wanted to try Win 10 32 bit because of some legacy software issues. I installed Win 10 on a new SSD; kept the old SSD as "backup." The install, which used the latest version of Win 10 downloaded from Microsoft, went smoothly but when it finished, I had no wireless service. When I look for the AC-8260 in device manager under Win 10, it does not show up. I have tried downloading and installing the latest driver from Intel but this does not fix the problem. It is not the adapter; wireless works flawlessly in Win 7. I note that I have switched back and forth between the Win 7 and Win 10 ssd's and when I use Win 7 everything is fine but when I switch to Win 10, it cannot see the AC-8260. Finally, wired internet works fine under Win 10. Any ideas?
This is an expected behavior as the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 only supports 64-bit versions of Windows® 10, as noted in the driver download page. For more information you may refer back to the following articles:
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005602/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Wireless Products.
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter (footnote).
This may be possible as both adapters have similar requirements.
However, some computer manufacturers limit which wireless adapter models may be installed on a particular computer through a hardware white list. Our recommendation is to always verify with your computer manufacturer to see if the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 will work on your particular system. We do not provide support to custom wireless integrations.
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022336/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... Can I Purchase Wireless Adapters from Intel?
We hope this information helps.
Just an update; no whitelist issue. If anyone needs to run 32 bit Win 10 on a Thinkpad 460s, replacing the AC-8260 with with an 7260NGW wireless card will allow wireless functionality. I have used it for the last few hours and the connection speed is good.