Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7491 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
MNich3
Novice

I just want to confirm the same issue is happening here with a new Dell Latitude E5540 using the Intel AC7260 running Windows 7 x64 .

The Wireless simply will not connect to the SSID on resume from sleep. I've tried using both Intel Proset or Windows Networking Tool. The adapter needs to be disabled an enabled and the connection is immediate.

0 Kudos
RJahn
Beginner

Found a fix for this problem, or at least what appears to be a fix.

By going to Device Manager -> Right Click the Wireless Adapter -> Select Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Restart the computer

Go back to the properties for the device and re-check the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Restart the computer

The restarts may or may not be needed, but I do it just as a best practice when changing device settings. Before following these steps on a Lattitude E5540 the system would take several minutes to connect to a known wireless network if it reconnected at all after sleep/hibernate. After these steps the system re-connected immediately every time. I ran a ping -t on the system while putting it to sleep and hibernating and the pings resumed as soon as the system came out of sleep mode.

Hope this helps

Reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wifi-very-slow-to-reconnect-if-at-all-after-sleep/0d925acd-e789-456c-a4eb-444cd1876085 WiFi very slow to reconnect (if at all) after sleep or - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you all for the information you have shared.

@Chris_S' issue (event ID 8002) is related to the association with the access point while plainv70's appears to be caused by corruption or hardware failure (event ID 5010). Based on this discrepancy I can only tell that the cause of the issue is not the same for everybody, so perhaps we shall continue troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
ABlai1
Beginner

Joe_intel, if you still need to get engineering more data, please let me know, I have a Lenovo T440p laptop and am experiencing the same issues. More then happy to provide data or beta test if needed. Hopefully the driver update will be soon, as this issue is fairly irritating, so willing to do whatever is needed to help speed the process up.

0 Kudos
RShiv2
Beginner

I am also having a similar problem with my AC7260 adapter (in a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s). When running Windows 7, I seem to have intermittent issues resuming from sleep and maintaining any form of connectivity. At best I'm dropping around 1/3rd of packets to my router; when it doesn't work I can't even connect to a network. This is the same whether I'm connecting via my 2.4 GHz SSID, 5 GHz SSID, or wifi tethered to my cell (thus isolating the router). No other device in my home (including devices with Intel wireless NICs) have any problems connecting. The problem temporarily resolves itself after a reboot, but this being a laptop that's not a great option.

This appears to occur once out of every four sleep resumes under Windows 7 (x64 Pro, SP1).

Under Windows 8.1 (on the same laptop), the problem occurred more frequently. A reboot wouldn't always fix the problem and my packet loss was much higher and more random. Rather than once out of every four sleep resumes, this occurred around three out of every four sleep resumes, plus randomly while the machine was on without resuming from sleep. While the problem is far less obnoxious after installing Win7, this is still rather annoying.

Anything I can do to gather logs on my machine to help fix the problem? I have no content on my laptop that isn't replicated elsewhere, so I'm more than happy to test and be a guinea pig in troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

I can also provide any logs or data requested for the Dell Latitude E5540. This happens on every access point I've connected to so far.

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

Hey there,

I just registered to chime in here.

I'm using a Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, driver version 17.0.5.8) and I'm suffering the same issues (It's the same with previous versions; I up- and downgraded dozens of times).

I'll gladly provide any details necessary to finally solve this issue here or via PM.
0 Kudos
JMcMa3
Beginner

Same problem as well, identical as described. Occurs on two separate systems, both with the AC7260.

One is a Sager NP9150, the other is an Asus UX301LA. Both running Windows 8.1.

After resume, the issue can be resolved by disabling and re-enabling the adapter.

The issue can be avoided by running an old driver version. 16.6.2.1 is the version I'm running.

I've been installing each new release of the 17 series to test in hopes of a fix but the same problem occurs every time.

This is 100% replicable.

Also, I am using WPA2-PSK, not TKIP. Issue occurs on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. I am using the Netgear R7000 router, but router type doesn't seem to matter as the problem happens on resume regardless of my network environment and also occurs when I am traveling away from my home network.

As the flagship network adapter from an otherwise very good company, this should have been resolved by now.

I'd be happy to provide any more information to help troubleshoot and resolve.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Yep, me, too.

ThinkPad T440p. Win 7 64, driver 17.0.5.8.

About every third wakeup from sleep (w/Intel Rapid Start), I have to open the adapter properties, disable it, re-enable, and then connect.

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

I found driver version 16.0.0.62 signed by Microsoft (not Intel!) to work reliably now.

I've installed it two days ago and didn't encounter the issue ever since. I'll keep an eye on it...

MNich3
Novice

Christoph142,

How is the MS signed driver (v. 16.0.0.62) working for you so far? I did a quick search for that driver version, and the AC7260 problems go back since the card was released. These might be problems Intel cannot fix.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/44899?start=0&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44899?start=0&tstart=0

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

Perfectly fine so far.

Didn't encounter any (especially not this) issues since switching to that version so far

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

Christoph,

Can you post the link to download this driver version? If not, maybe you could share it on dropbox?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jfett1
Novice

The idea that we're going to pawn this issue onto Microsoft is absurd. If the issue was outside of Intel's control, it would be occurring with other wifi cards (spoilers: it isn't). Intel needs to fix their drivers on both windows 7 and windows 8, plain and simple.

Here's an example of a bug outside of Intel's control: Windows 7 displays my AC network as 802.11n, when it clearly isn't.

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

This should be the Win8.1 default driver preinstalled with your system.

Just choose "manually select a driver". You should find it in "Intel Corporation" not "Intel" category then

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

I think you got me wrong here.

Intel needs to fix this ASAP.

The MS driver is a workaround until they do so.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Guys, I completely understand your frustration and your point here. As you mentioned our drivers should be working fine and we are really working on this to have it fixed. In the meantime you can run the Microsoft driver but there are some other steps I want you to try:

1. Look for the latest BIOS update from the Computer Manufacture.
  2. Run all windows updates.
  3. Download and install the latest driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3714 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3714

Once again, I am sorry for the delay and we really appreciate your patience.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

There's neither a Windows Update nor a UEFI update available for my device and as stated, I was already using 17.0.5.8 when I reported this issue in here. So it's not a matter of some outdated software

0 Kudos
SWard3
Beginner

Add me to the list of those having problems with the AC7260 not connecting after sleep. There are other problems as well (frequent disconnects etc. including 3x while writing this post!) but I'll try to stay on topic.

I have a Dell M6800, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I am using the 17.0.5 driver. Windows and all other drivers are up to date. As a side note, Dell's last update on 8/3/14 is the 16.1.3.1 driver.

The best solution I have come up with so far(I don't think it has been suggested previously) is as follows:

After waking the computer from sleep and finding that the adapter either won't connect or has connected with "no internet access", I open the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility. I do this by double clicking on the icon in the 'Show Hidden Icons' area of the taskbar.

Then I click on 'Profiles' and then specifically select the one profile that is listed there.

Then click on 'Connect'. This seems to bring the 7260 back to life and actually connect. It isn't instantaneous, but it usually only takes about 15 seconds.

Other solutions I have tried: Selecting my network and choosing 'connect', clicking on 'Details' and selecting 'repair', resetting PROset, turning the adapter on and off and just about every other suggestion listed here. I have also tried a replacement AC7260 card and it behaved exactly the same. At least they're consistent!

I completely agree that we shouldn't have to do any of this, but for now this at least seems to work for me. I have quite a few devices connected to my router (old and new smartphones and several other laptops with far "lesser" wireless adapters) and none of them have any issues whatsoever.

0 Kudos
RShiv2
Beginner

That stock Microsoft driver is only stock to Windows 8.1. Those of us that have Windows 7 on our devices with this issue are unable to work around this issue.

Is there a way this can be escalated? It appears to be an issue that has been a problem since the release of the device; this isn't exactly an uncommon or brand new wireless adapter.

0 Kudos
CVanD11
Beginner

Kevin,

Just a few thoughts.

First, note that I've done ALL of the suggestions you made.

Second, if you look at the log file I posted on my other post, you'll notice Windows complaining that the key is wrong when it tries to connect after a hibernate. It seems as though the driver isn't able to compute the right key exchange after hibernation. Perhaps that would be a good place for your engineers to look at more carefully.

Thanks,

Cliff

0 Kudos