Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel AX201 without 802.11ax

hamele0n
Beginner

Hello!

I've Thinkpad E14 with Intel AX201 adapter and windows 10 21H1.
My laptop can't connect to Wifi 6 (Aruba AP22).

C:\Windows\system32>Netsh WLAN Show Drivers

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Vendor : Intel Corporation
Provider : Intel
Date : 27.05.2021
Version : 22.60.0.6
INF file : oem139.inf
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11g 802.11a 802.11ac
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : No

How to add 802.11ax to supported radio types?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hamele0n,

From the information you posted, it appears the netsh information is missing some information. The simplest way to get more information about the hardware and drivers is for you to use the Intel SSU. The SSU collects information about your hardware and operating system, but nothing personally identifiable (no sensitive data). The download link to the Intel SSU is here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Once you start the SSU, leave the defaults and click Scan. Once the scan completes click Next, and then Save. Save the results into a file, and then post back and add that file as an attachment.

0 Kudos
hamele0n
Beginner

Report.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hammel0n,

There are a few things that are noteworthy from looking at the SSU report. The first thing I see is that the laptop's BIOS is rev 1.17 and the latest is rev 1.18. The BIOS may have some impact on the way the laptop handles some of the networking.

The second thing I notice is your driver is 22.70.x.x but the latest provided by Lenovo is 22.40.x.x, dated 27 May 2021. I would highly recommend uninstalling both the Bluetooth and W-Fi drivers, and then installing only the drivers provided by Lenovo.

I cannot say whether the Cisco VPN driver and/or VMware network will have any impact on this problem. Most likely not, but if things do not rectify, you may need to uninstall those components temporarily to get a cleaner network environment.

Lastly, your locale is Russia. There have been numerous complaints regarding lack of 802.11ax functionality with PCs operating in Russia. Even though  the Aruba AP22 is supposed to support 802.11ax, it is possible the firmware installed on the access points does not support 802.11ax on account of the locale. And if you determine the Aruba does already have 802.11ax (other devices are able to connect), you may need to contact Lenovo to determine when they will provide a driver for that model laptop that supports 802.11ax.

0 Kudos