Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7458 Discussions

Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 conectivity issue!

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have a brand new notebook Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 with Centrino wireless N 2230 card.

The issue is that my laptop doesen't connect to my wi-fi router at more than 54 Mbps.The router is from my ISP , Huawei HG 655b.

I use WPA2-PSK ,WMM activated, 20/40 Mhz band,also i have another 2 laptops from Toshiba, they both connect to the router at minimum 150 Mbps or 270 Mbps.

So far i've updated to the latest drivers, QOS enable/disable nothing seems to work.

Any ideea what should i try? it's really frustating to have a brand new laptop and not being able to fully enjoy it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
JBakk3
Novice

Hey Guys,

I've had the same problem as well, with Dell Inspiron 15z.

after Dell renewed all hardware without result, I have tried deleting all drivers.

This was the procedure:

- Uninstall Intel WiFi Dashboard

- Uninstall adapter from Computer Management, DO also uninstall drivers.

- Restart computer

- (do the last step 3 or 4 times, until you reach Microsoft drivers 14.8.8.75, date 5-12-2011)

This helped and my problems are now gone!!!

Regards,

Jeroen

PM5
Beginner

It works only on Windows 8! 14.8.8.75 driver is the Win 8 main driver.

What can Win7 users do? Windows 7 can't detect the Wifi driver.

0 Kudos
SLeht
Beginner

I bought a HP Envy DV6 (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 and Windows 8) and out of the box WLAN didn't work at all. I needed to update the drivers to the latest (16.0.5 which actually installed 15.5.6.48 drivers for this NIC).

After this the WLAN worked barely, I was able to connect to the access point (Elisa Cable Modem, then upgraded to ASUS RT-N66U which the same settings).

Then I did following settings:

802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4: Auto

802.11n Mode: enabled

Roaming agressiveness: 3. medium

Transmit Power: 5. Highest

bluetooth(r) AMP: disabled

* Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power: disabled (in Power Management tab)

* Disabled Bluetooth in the Device Manager

* Uninstalled PRO/Set Wireless Wi-Fi software

Also for the ASUS RT-N66U I used channel binding and WPA2-Personal with AES.

After this I was able to get 135Mbps uplink, and the speedtest.net gave me 50Mbps/4.5Mbps/16ms.

However, I have a 3 year old Asus laptop, and it gets 300Mbps uplink, and speedtest.net gives 75Mbps/4.5Mbps/9ms.

BEFORE I did all this tweaking, I was able to get quite a bad link and 5Mbps/0.35Mbps/16ms in speedtest.net

So clearly there is still something quite not right. The link speed is what worries me. Why the new HP is not getting 300Mbps like any other device in my home? And I don't know if I can enable Bluetooth on my system (remains to be seen once I get more time to test).

I hope this helps someone with the Centrino problems...

Cheers,

Sampsa

EDIT: When ever I enable the Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 in the Device Manager, the laptop loses wireless connection and no connection can be made. So it's either shaky wireless or bluetooth. I'm taking this device back, this is just outrageous.

0 Kudos
DCame3
Beginner

I tried this solution and I have been happily online for hours.

Hey Guys,

I've had the same problem as well, with Dell Inspiron 15z.

after Dell renewed all hardware without result, I have tried deleting all drivers.

This was the procedure:

- Uninstall Intel WiFi Dashboard

- Uninstall adapter from Computer Management, DO also uninstall drivers.

- Restart computer

- (do the last step 3 or 4 times, until you reach Microsoft drivers 14.8.8.75, date 5-12-2011)

This helped and my problems are now gone!!!

Regards,

Thanks bjbacker

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Snlehton, I am sorry you have encountered this issue.

There are few things we may need to consider first:

• The internet speed test is not the same as the (wireless) network transfer rate.
  • I am not sure if the driver you used (16.0.5) is customized by the computer manufacturer, since our latest driver version is 15.8.0.
  • It may be a hardware issue, such as bad adapter or integration. The system manufacturer usually provides further assistance in this situation and of course using different driver or settings will not help.

Besides the points presented above, we are currently investigating the connectivity issues related to this adapter and we highly appreciate your patience and understanding.

Intel® PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm

0 Kudos
SLeht
Beginner

Hi Joe_intel,

thanks for your message. The drivers I was using were found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22874 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22874

They're not the drivers HP is using. HP gives me 15.5.6.48. So the end result is the same.

Anyway, the problem is now solved. I called HP helpdesk and they walked me through some testing and made me open the laptop back panel.

Lo and behold... the wlan antenna was actually unattached! I couldn't believe my eyes. It wasn't even the case that the plug would have been loosely on the socket. Instead the cable was in completely different place, under the centrino chip board. It couldn't have gotten there just by deattaching on its own. It's poor assembly and poor QA.

After fixing this, everything was working perfectly.

So I urge anyone with bluetooth causing problems to wlan to check out the antenna connections. And even if they're connected, the antenna itself might be broken.

Sorry for jumping on the "blaim Intel" bandwagon. It's all good now!

0 Kudos
mtalb
Beginner

Hi

I have just got a thinkpad edge E330 and agree with the forum the NIC has issues.

I upgraded the firmware on router WRT160N and the Centrino N2230 to latest driver.

when comparing side by side with an old lenovo X201 and Yoga the results are:

X201 - 12.3Mbit

yoga - 11.3Mbit

E330 - 4.13Mbit

I have run this comparative test 30-40 times during different hours of the day and teh results are similar.

I have tried to implement all of the suggested fixes some improvement was seen (initially the E330 was running at 1-2Mbit)/

when i get realy close to the router the E330 can go up to the full 12.2Mbit.

when can we expect a fix to this issue?

thanks

Mtal

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

Hello,

guys good news i have fixed the problem.

It's working finally for me.

Send me a pm for information

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The driver version 16.0.5 was specifically released for the new (7260) wireless adapters and I believe I posted the link here by mistake before I realized and deleted it.

I am glad to know you solved the issue. This is the reason why we also recommend checking with the system manufacturer since the cause may be hardware related. Other users may have similar symptoms but the cause is not necessarily the same.

0 Kudos
HREYE
Beginner

Hi entis. I had the similar, frustrating problem but I fixed it. I just purchased the Lenovo Y510P with the N2230 NIC. I had no problem connecting to the WiFi at work or at school. I just couldnt connect to the Wifi at home. I could connect by Ethernet at home. I knew it had something to do with the router security settings. My home router is a Netgear WGT 624 v4 . The settings I "had" the router set to before I purchased the Levono were WPA2 enabled. with password. channel 6. AES security.The first thing I did was disable (turn off) all security settings. No WPA2, no password to access the WiFi. I immediately connected to WiFi but there's no security. So now I accessed my router again and enabled (turned on) my original settings like the ones above. Lost connection. Didnt work. Accessed the router again changed my settings to WPA-Personal, TKIP and it worked. For some reason, and I dont know why, the NIC will not work when my settings are at WPA2, AES. But at least for now I'm up and running. Hope this helps anyone out there.

0 Kudos
CMurp10
Beginner

This has been driving me nuts for a long time too, just had the bottom off and checked the antenna connections and everything. I read the WMM thing and checked that in my router, it was disabled. Turned it on, shot up to 144mbps!

0 Kudos