Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel Centurion Advanced-n 6200 AGN update will NOT install - lost wireless internet connection

MMcKe5
Novice

Hello, I went to update the Intel Centurion Advanced-n 6200 AGN via my Device Manager and it found the latest version but failed to install with Code Error 31. The error message said something about the service being used by another service or name or such (can't recall exactly). And now I have no wireless internet connection - my internet connection icon on bottom toolbar shows a monitor with a red x in it and I have no way to connect to any networks.

I am unable to do a system restore or create a restore point...that has been an ongoing issue that I have yet to figure out how to solve.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but a few days ago I received two BSOD's within an hour. I had the minidump report deciphered and it pointed to the Intel Wireless WiFi Link Adapter/Driver (NETw5s32.sys) as the culprit. The first BSOD was "Bad Pool" something or rather and the second one said, "Driver Corrupted Expool". I then went to my Device Manager to see if the Intel Wireless WiFi Link needed an update and it does not show up in my list at all. This may be a secondary issue to the other one mentioned above, but wanted to address that issue as well.

Computer Specs: Windows 7 32-bit

Lenovo ThinkPad T410

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

Mel

32 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mel27,

Have you installed this wireless card or did it come already installed when you bought your computer? If it came installed, our first recommended step is for you to contact Lenovo* to check if they have any recent driver updates for your wireless card. Lenovo has a tool called ThinkVantage System Update that might help you resolve this issue: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht003029 Updating Lenovo Drivers and Applications using ThinkVantage System Update - Lenovo Support (US)

For BSOD issues we recommend that the computer manufacturer is contacted as well. For your convenience, here is the link to their contact: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

As for code 31 error, it is one of the several error codes displayed by Device Manager and this error will almost always display in the following way: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" and it is caused by any number of reasons that prevents Windows* from loading the driver for the particular hardware. Details on Device Manager error codes like Code 31 are available in the Device Status area in the device's properties.

Here are the steps to help you find out more details on what could be really causing this error

1. Enter Device Manager from the Windows 7 Control Panel
  2. With Device Manager open, locate the piece of hardware you want to view the status of. Note: Work your way through the hardware categories by clicking the > icon. The specific hardware devices in your computer are listed under the major hardware categories.
  3. Once you've found the device you're wanting to view the status of, right click on its icon or text and choose Properties.
  4. Locate the Device status area in the General tab of the Properties window that is now open for your hardware.Note: The Device status area surrounds a text box. You should see this in the bottom half of the window.
  5. The information in this Device status text box contains the current status of this particular device.

If by any chance, you installed this wireless card later. It is very important that you know that Intel does support Integrations. You can find more details here on this link: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

On our best effort to help you, if you installed the card later, you can download load the latest drivers directly from our Download Center. Make sure you have clean uninstall any drivers related to this card before you initiate this installation. Here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel+%28R%29+centrino+%28r%29+Advanced-N+6200+AGN Intel® Download Center

Let us know if this helped you.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Aleki, Thank you for your reply! No I did not install the wireless card myself. I took ownership of the computer a year ago and it's about 5 years old now so actually I don't know if the wireless card is the original or not. I could ask the original owner though and will try to find out.

I went back to the properties of the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 AGN device and the status is now showing a Code 18 and it says to reinstall the driver. So I clicked the reinstall button and I got a message that the right update was already installed. However, I still have the yellow triangle in front of it and if I go to the Resources tab it tells me it is not using any resources because there is a problem. Would be nice if it said what the problem was exactly, but that would make things too easy for me. The other thing I looked at was the Driver Details and the NETw5s.sys has a black square in front of it where the other items in the list all have what looks like some sort of a certificate looking icon. If I highlight that .sys file it is showing the old version so I assume it was blacked out due to the installed update? In any case, still no internet and problem not solved.

Also, I can't recall how I got this next message as I was doing a few different troubleshooting things...but one message said the new update was not compatible to the Intel PROset Wireless Tool.

I will try the ThinkVantage System Update tool next and see what happens with that, and I will check with Lenovo for further help on the BSOD issue also.

I'll report back to update what worked or didn't. Thanks!

AFens
Beginner

I have exactly the same issue with the latest system update. It will not install and my WIFI now does not work. I tried to rollback using system restore - but that is not working (I don't have an old enough image to restore to). I also tried the Lenovo System Update - there is nothing there that helps.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

Here is failure code from install - I have Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

I downloaded Wireless_17.16.0_Ds64.exe from the Intel Download Center.

When I run it - this icon pops up on my screen and then disappears. Nothing happens. I've tried multiple times.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

I got it working through the following steps:

1) From the Windows Device Manger - uninstalled the wireless card and choose to delete the current driver files.

2) Have windows scan for new hardware (after the device was removed). When windows tried to install the driver from windows update, I stopped it.

3) I then used the Intel Automatic Driver Installation to install the driver. The Intel Software chose to install an older version of the driver than Windows Update 15.15.0.1 (11/17/2014)

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Fenstermakera,

I have a few questions for you regarding the steps you took to solve this issue if you don't mind.

1. I assume you have your Windows Auto Updates turned on, yes? Mine is turned off...it was that way when I got the laptop from the original owner and i never changed it (I just remember to look for updates as I like to choose what I want and don't want). I know that you have to have internet connection in order for Windows to install updates. Same with updating via Device Manager. What I am wondering is if you had no connection to the internet, how did Windows try to install the driver (in your "Step # 2")? I assume it would have failed due to no connection, but you stopped it anyways before it finished?

2. How did you get the Intel Automatic Driver installation tool? Was it the Intel Driver Update Utility and you already had that on your computer? I don't know if I have that on my laptop or not...if I don't I can't download it with no internet connection. I could put it on a thumb drive from another computer and then add it to my laptop that way, but was just wondering how you did that out of curiosity.

3. Did the Intel Driver Update tool install version 15.15.0.1 or is that the version Windows wanted to install? If it was what Windows wanted to install, what version did Intel find for you? That version, by the way, is the version that my Device Manger found for me and while it was successfully installed (now showing as such) it still isn't working.

4. So you didn't already have the Intel PROset Wireless Tool (Wireless_17.16.0_Ds64.exe) on your computer? I have that software on my laptop (the version dated 3/13/15) and when I ran a diagnostic test with that tool, I got a "Failed" message for "Hardware" that said the new driver does not support PROset Wireless Software. So maybe that is why yours won't do anything.

By the way, it is good to know that your Lenovo system updates didn't help...not that that is a good thing per se, but I am unable to use my ThinkVantage Tool Box due to having had malware on my computer recently (not related to this driver issue) and one of the fixes (that got rid of everything from that malware) had removed some essential components needed for that tool rendering my ThinkVantage Tool Box useless.

(Aleki...feel free to also reply with any info or tips from my questions as well if you have anything to add.)

Thanks!

Mel

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Adding to my post above...

I just tried to install the Intel Driver Update Utility 2.0 and it won't install. It just hangs and there is no green color on the status bar that says, "Processing: Initializing".

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

1. I ran windows update manually. I had an internet connection because only WIFI was down - but my hardwired connection worked.

2. Downloaded it. Wasn't already on my computer.

3. Intel Driver Update tool installed it.

4. Didn't already have it. I installed it during troubleshooting - but I don't think it helped anything. I uninstalled it.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mel27,

Another option is to do a clean installation of the wireless driver. Please follow these steps to remove any previously installed drivers before installing the recommended version.

1- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm PC manufacturer support to download and save their recommended version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. As second option, you can download the generic driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center.

2- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

3- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6200 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver was detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well.

5- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6- Install the Intel® Wireless driver downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Thanks for your answers Fenstermakera.

Aleki, before I saw your reply I had uninstalled the updated but non-working Intel Centrino device via Device Manager, but I did not check "delete software" (wasn't sure at that time if I was to do that) - the driver then disappeared from my Device Manager list and now what appears is "Network Controller". The properties status shows it needs to be reinstalled with a Code 18. I clicked the reinstall button and it said I already had the best device and it was up to date. Yet it still has the yellow triangle next to it. The version number for the Network Controller is 15.15.0.1

Here is a screen shot of my Device Manager Network Adapters:

So should I follow your steps for the Network Controller instead? Just want to be sure before I go and do that.

As an aside, I can connect to my router directly and have internet that way, but still no wireless.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mel27,

Please make sure you uninstalled until Windows* shows no trace of it and then go to your computer manufacturer support page and reinstall the drivers from them.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

In following your steps Aleki, I went to Lenovo support site and pulled up the drivers needed for my T410 laptop, but I am not sure which one to download (I am not very "IT savvy"). From the Lenovo Support site I chose from the drop-down menu the 'Networking: Wireless LAN' and up came a few choices for the most recent updates: "Intel WiMAX 6250 AGN" and "Intel Wireless LAN". I assume it's the Intel Wireless LAN, but when I read the description it just says it is a software that enables a list of drivers, none of which are the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200. Does this software application find the right drivers for me? It is not called PROset...there is no name on the downloaded .exe file, just a bunch of letters and numbers and the properties say, "For Lenovo Updates Catalog" (I have not installed it yet).

Meanwhile, I actually got my wireless back before I finished your steps. I first uninstalled the PROset Wireless software and then right after I uninstalled the Network Controller device (and had it delete all files), it was now showing up in "Other Devices" so I scanned it for hardware changes and after the Device Manager window flashed a few times I now have the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 back under the Network Adapters (but now it has a # 2 next to it), and it no longer has the yellow triangle in front of it. It says it is working fine in the properties status. However, I decided to try to update it via the Device Manager again just to see if same issue would happen and it tells me it is up to date...but it's not the latest version so not sure why it thinks it is up to date. The version I have is 13.0.0.107. I can continue to follow your steps to get the latest version but like I said I am confused as to what I am to download.

I also noticed a new Network Adapter showing up in the list: "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter # 2" that wasn't there before. I tried to update it as well (it is dated 2006) via the Device Manager but I got a Red Warning box that said it is not signed or such (it does show Microsoft copyright on the properties though), so I stopped the update install for that and not sure if I should ignore that warning or not.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mel27,

Have you installed this wireless card or did it come already installed when you bought your computer? If it came installed, our first recommended step is for you to contact Lenovo* to check if they have any recent driver updates for your wireless card. Lenovo has a tool called ThinkVantage System Update that might help you resolve this issue: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht003029 Updating Lenovo Drivers and Applications using ThinkVantage System Update - Lenovo Support (US)

For BSOD issues we recommend that the computer manufacturer is contacted as well. For your convenience, here is the link to their contact: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

As for code 31 error, it is one of the several error codes displayed by Device Manager and this error will almost always display in the following way: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" and it is caused by any number of reasons that prevents Windows* from loading the driver for the particular hardware. Details on Device Manager error codes like Code 31 are available in the Device Status area in the device's properties.

Here are the steps to help you find out more details on what could be really causing this error

1. Enter Device Manager from the Windows 7 Control Panel
  2. With Device Manager open, locate the piece of hardware you want to view the status of. Note: Work your way through the hardware categories by clicking the > icon. The specific hardware devices in your computer are listed under the major hardware categories.
  3. Once you've found the device you're wanting to view the status of, right click on its icon or text and choose Properties.
  4. Locate the Device status area in the General tab of the Properties window that is now open for your hardware.Note: The Device status area surrounds a text box. You should see this in the bottom half of the window.
  5. The information in this Device status text box contains the current status of this particular device.

If by any chance, you installed this wireless card later. It is very important that you know that Intel does support Integrations. You can find more details here on this link: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

On our best effort to help you, if you installed the card later, you can download load the latest drivers directly from our Download Center. Make sure you have clean uninstall any drivers related to this card before you initiate this installation. Here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel+%28R%29+centrino+%28r%29+Advanced-N+6200+AGN Intel® Download Center

Let us know if this helped you.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Aleki, Thank you for your reply! No I did not install the wireless card myself. I took ownership of the computer a year ago and it's about 5 years old now so actually I don't know if the wireless card is the original or not. I could ask the original owner though and will try to find out.

I went back to the properties of the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 AGN device and the status is now showing a Code 18 and it says to reinstall the driver. So I clicked the reinstall button and I got a message that the right update was already installed. However, I still have the yellow triangle in front of it and if I go to the Resources tab it tells me it is not using any resources because there is a problem. Would be nice if it said what the problem was exactly, but that would make things too easy for me. The other thing I looked at was the Driver Details and the NETw5s.sys has a black square in front of it where the other items in the list all have what looks like some sort of a certificate looking icon. If I highlight that .sys file it is showing the old version so I assume it was blacked out due to the installed update? In any case, still no internet and problem not solved.

Also, I can't recall how I got this next message as I was doing a few different troubleshooting things...but one message said the new update was not compatible to the Intel PROset Wireless Tool.

I will try the ThinkVantage System Update tool next and see what happens with that, and I will check with Lenovo for further help on the BSOD issue also.

I'll report back to update what worked or didn't. Thanks!

AFens
Beginner

I have exactly the same issue with the latest system update. It will not install and my WIFI now does not work. I tried to rollback using system restore - but that is not working (I don't have an old enough image to restore to). I also tried the Lenovo System Update - there is nothing there that helps.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

Here is failure code from install - I have Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

I downloaded Wireless_17.16.0_Ds64.exe from the Intel Download Center.

When I run it - this icon pops up on my screen and then disappears. Nothing happens. I've tried multiple times.

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

I got it working through the following steps:

1) From the Windows Device Manger - uninstalled the wireless card and choose to delete the current driver files.

2) Have windows scan for new hardware (after the device was removed). When windows tried to install the driver from windows update, I stopped it.

3) I then used the Intel Automatic Driver Installation to install the driver. The Intel Software chose to install an older version of the driver than Windows Update 15.15.0.1 (11/17/2014)

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Fenstermakera,

I have a few questions for you regarding the steps you took to solve this issue if you don't mind.

1. I assume you have your Windows Auto Updates turned on, yes? Mine is turned off...it was that way when I got the laptop from the original owner and i never changed it (I just remember to look for updates as I like to choose what I want and don't want). I know that you have to have internet connection in order for Windows to install updates. Same with updating via Device Manager. What I am wondering is if you had no connection to the internet, how did Windows try to install the driver (in your "Step # 2")? I assume it would have failed due to no connection, but you stopped it anyways before it finished?

2. How did you get the Intel Automatic Driver installation tool? Was it the Intel Driver Update Utility and you already had that on your computer? I don't know if I have that on my laptop or not...if I don't I can't download it with no internet connection. I could put it on a thumb drive from another computer and then add it to my laptop that way, but was just wondering how you did that out of curiosity.

3. Did the Intel Driver Update tool install version 15.15.0.1 or is that the version Windows wanted to install? If it was what Windows wanted to install, what version did Intel find for you? That version, by the way, is the version that my Device Manger found for me and while it was successfully installed (now showing as such) it still isn't working.

4. So you didn't already have the Intel PROset Wireless Tool (Wireless_17.16.0_Ds64.exe) on your computer? I have that software on my laptop (the version dated 3/13/15) and when I ran a diagnostic test with that tool, I got a "Failed" message for "Hardware" that said the new driver does not support PROset Wireless Software. So maybe that is why yours won't do anything.

By the way, it is good to know that your Lenovo system updates didn't help...not that that is a good thing per se, but I am unable to use my ThinkVantage Tool Box due to having had malware on my computer recently (not related to this driver issue) and one of the fixes (that got rid of everything from that malware) had removed some essential components needed for that tool rendering my ThinkVantage Tool Box useless.

(Aleki...feel free to also reply with any info or tips from my questions as well if you have anything to add.)

Thanks!

Mel

0 Kudos