Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 empty wi-fi connections

TPere6
Beginner

Hello, I recently upgraded my HP Folio 1040 G2 with 4G Module to Windows 10 and I'm having trouble when searching wi-fi networks.

In the device manager the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 is correctly installed. The HP support assistant says it's all installed.

When I click on the wireless icon it shows an empty dropdown menu and no wifi connections available.

If I add the wireless network manually it works. But if i'm outside and I don't know the wifi ssid I cannot add them manually.

Just realized this happens sometimes. If I click the wifi button again and toggle the airplane mode button occasionally the wireless connections appear again.

Doing the command "netsh wlan show networks" it shows me all the available connections aldo the menu list is still empty.

It seems to be an interface bug.

Any help? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TiagoPereira,

We understand you have recently upgraded your laptop to Windows® 10, and are now unable to automatically scan and detect wireless networks. However, if you add the connection manually, it works fine.

In order to better assist you, we would like to take a better look at your current hardware configuration and settings. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, and while connected to a wireless network, select to scan everything. You'll then be able to save this report into a file, and upload as an attachment.

To enable attachments, make sure to select the option to "use advanced editor" while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TPere6
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for the quick replay. The system scan is attached.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TiagoPereira,

Thank you for this report.

Considering that your laptop features a 4G Module along side your wireless adapter, it's important to make sure that you've installed all the latest Windows® 10 drivers provided by your computer manufacturer, to avoid OS compatibility issues:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-folio-1040-g2-notebook-pc/7393377 HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G2* Support & Downloads

Please make sure that your system has the latest network drivers for the 5G module, as well as any applicable firmware updates. It may also be good to ensure that your BIOS is up to date.

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TPere6
Beginner

Hello,

The bios and all the drivers are fully installed and up-to-date.

I used HP Support Assistant and HP SoftPaq Download Manager to update everything before submitting my question.

At the windows 10 logon screen before I enter my windows password if I click in the wireless icon every wifi connection is available.

This problem occurs only when I'm logged on.

I tried multiple accounts in this laptop and always with the same result.

The laptop detects all the wifi connections but only displays them sometimes when I'm logged on and I toggle the airplane mode.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TiagoPereira,

Your OS won't allow more than one network interface to be active at a time. Odd, but it's possible that Windows* is disabling your wireless because it detects your 4G as active.

We can try to switch to a driver-only installation instead. For this we'll need to clean install your drivers:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else and press OK.

5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer.

As another alternative, you could try disabling your 4G module from device manager, to see if this results in your wireless being re-enabled.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TiagoPereira,

We haven't heard back from you. Has the issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos