Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 losses connection randomly

LA0001
Beginner

I have issues with Intel 8265 WiFi adapter disconnecting for a few seconds randomly (can happen once a day or 3 times a minute)

I tried reinstalling windows from scratch, updating bios and drivers but nothing helped.

Windows System log full of events such as:

1. Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver. (100's of this)

2. 5032 - Driver Miniport reset watchdog

3. 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

Help. I am really frustrated. Note that I had a similar problem a year ago and I took my laptop to Gigabyte and they fixed it. It worked fine a 6 months. So I guess it might be an hardware problem, but than it means that the adapter broke twice...

Operating System: Win 10 pro 1909

Gigabyte Aero 14

0 Kudos
16 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach the generated report file to a response post.

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

Here you go.

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are running a relatively old version of the Wireless drivers (19.70.0 versus the latest, which is 21.80.x). Please upgrade these drivers. Here are links to download the latest driver packages:

1. Bluetooth: 21.80.0: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29460/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=94150.
  2. Wireless: 21.80.2: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29455/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150.

I recommend upgrading the Bluetooth driver package before the Wireless driver package.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

I was actually using 21.80.x but the problem was the same, so I tried older drivers...

edit: just tried 21.80.2 again. Seems like the disconnections happen more frequently.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Go back and test with an event older version than you tried before. Personally, I believe that there is something systemically wrong here; there are simply too many reports of folks having this kind of problem, across Intel's whole line of WLAN adapters, for this to not be the case. Intel needs to look at this closely. Intel Customer Support: please escalate this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

I will try. Where can I find older versions?

Is there a specific version you recommend?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, I remember someone saying they went back to 18.x or 17.x. I can't find their download pages, however.

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

We were unable to find the drivers available for your system with the following information: Gigabyte Aero 14 P64KV7.

Could you please confirm the latest customized driver version provided by Gigabyte for your system and if the issue persists if you use this driver?

Also, was the Intel® Wireless Adapter pre-installed by Gigabyte?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

Hey Wanner,

As far as I know Gigabyte do not offer customized drivers.

On their website they offer Intel's driver version 19.70.0.5.

The Intel® Wireless Adapter comes pre-installed with the laptop.

Thanks,

Lior

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

Thank you for your response.

Please perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, with the drivers recommended on this thread.

• Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 21.80.0
  • Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version: 21.80.2

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

After that, try using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

If the issue persists, please provide us with this information:

• Has the access point/router or environment changed?
  • Do other computers/devices have the same issue, or is it just this computer?
  • Are your wireless AP/router and computer using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration?
  • Is there any change you can check if there is a new firmware update for your AP/router?
  • What is the model number of your AP/router?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

Thanks Wanner.

Currently I am using 20.70.16.4. Did a clean install. Seems pretty stable for now.

I also changed my router recently, so I am thinking maybe it has to do with this. So I am trying to get a new once and report back.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

Thank you for your response.

Feel free to post an update if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

Could you please provide us with an update?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
LA0001
Beginner

Thanks Wanner,

Currently I am stable. Did a clean install of 20.70.16.4 and followed the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity".

I think that for a week now I haven't had a problem.

I'll keep this thread updated if something changes.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello LA0001,

We are glad to know that your computer is stable now.

We will close this thread. However, feel free to post an update or ask additional questions related to this thread to reopen it.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos