Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel Dual Bank Wireless-AC 8265 - no wifi

Yever
Beginner

Hi,

I use a Lenovo X1 5th Generation. I had to deal almost every time with a disruption of the wifi after an update of the driver and/or of Windows. Since a couple of weeks, the machine was working very well. 2 weeks ago, the computer and the system managed successfully various updates. 

This morning, out of the blue, after a reboot, I could not see anymore my wifi network (it was still working and available for my other devices). I checked online, removed the driver, uninstalled the adapter, in vain. I checked the latest version of the driver and installed it. Here again, it did not work.

I did a scan with the Intel Utility. The file is attached. I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue, but it is extremely annoying.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Yever,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:

• Are you able to see any error message on the Device Manager, under Network Adapters? (E.g: Code 10)
  • Is the wireless card an integration you made to your system?

I noticed that you are not using the driver provided by the Manufacturer in this case Lenovo*. There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system.

The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers.

Please try the below steps for a clean installation of the wireless drivers:

Step 1: Download the latest driver available on the Lenovo website, version: 20.70.18.2

Step 2: Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

1. Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
    3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
    5. Repeat steps A through D until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

2. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. To Run as administrator right-clicks over the file you downloaded and select the option to Run as administrator. 

Please, let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Yever
Beginner

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your question, the AC 8265 was part of the initial bundle, and I did not touch it.

Actually, before installing the latest version of the driver available on Intel's website, I had the version you mention. Same results: it does not work.

I managed to talk to Lenovo support, and their engineer advised me to change the chip... so this time it seems that it is a hardware issue. Indeed, when we look at the events' details, we can see that the adapter cannot be started by the system.

Trying to get now support to change this, but I can tell you that I experienced many issues with this wifi adapters - between Intel, Lenovo and Microsoft the release of "updates" frequently impacted the stability of the system.

Have a good day!

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Yever,

Thank you for your response.

We're really sorry to hear that this is a hardware issue. Please continue the process with Lenovo* to be able to complete the change.

I really hope you have this issue fix as soon as possible!

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos