Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Wireless AC 7260 Problem using BT and WiFi simultaneously

OWolf
Beginner

Problem on my brand-new Notebook: Intel Dual Wireless AC 7260 has Wireless Connection drop/outs/failures when Bluetooth is switched on. When I turn off Bluetooth the Wireless works perfecttly. I Have a Samung Ativ Book 8 with Win7 64 bit on it. I first tried the newest drivers provided by Samsung wich did not help at all, I then installed the newest Wireless (Vers. 17.0.2.5) and Bluetooth drivers from Intel but the Problem is still the same.

The error is reproducable: When Bluetooth is switched off Wifi works fine, when I switch it on the Wifi Connection drops, starts, drops, startes. When I switch Bluetooth of again Wifi immediately works fine again.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Use the 5 GHz band and your WiFi issues with Bluetooth should go away.

0 Kudos
OWolf
Beginner

theveterans schrieb:

Use the 5 GHz band and your WiFi issues with Bluetooth should go away.

Can you specify a bit how I can set that up?

I just recognized that Wireless also works when Bluetooth is activated but not used. It starts to connect and disconnect when I connect and use a Bluetooth Device. When I disconnecgt Bluetooth Wifi is immediately fine again.

Each on it´s own BT and Wifi do work, but I can´t use them simultaneously. Each time I try, Wifi gets these interruptions.

(To specify: The Bluetooth Device I use is a Bose Soundlink2 Bluetooth Speaker, wich I stream Music too)

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello OWolfgang,

theveterans is correct when saying that changing the Band will help you fixing this issue.

I will explained how to access the Adapter settings:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop or from the Start menu.
  2. Click Manage.
  3. Click Device Manager.
  4. Click the + sign to expand the Network Adapters entry.
  5. Right-click the wireless adapter and click Properties.
  6. Click the Advanced tab to configure the advanced settings.

Once you reach a screen similar to the one below you can select two options to change the band:

1. Preferred Band: This option will let the computer to connect to a wireless connection no matter if it is 2.4 GHz or 5GHz. The system will connect automatically to the wireless LAN adopting the configuration.

2. Wireless Mode: You can select the option 802.a that makes your computer to connect to wireless with Bands at 5GHz only. The problem here is that it will not detect other LAN set at 2.4.

You can change the your router band to 5GHz but it is important to say that this will affect other computers using this LAN.

0 Kudos
OWolf
Beginner

There I am again,

thanks theveterans and kevin_intel, that workaround helped. After switching Wifi to 5Ghz the interference problems where gone. Bad thing is that my infrastructure (wifi repeaters) doesn´t support 5 Ghz, I could just test it directliy on my WiFi Router.

but:

Am I supposed to buy a new infrastructure just because the AC7260 can´t handle Wifi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n simultaneously with bluetooth?? IEEE 802.11 a works now, but only with quite a bad Wifi connection and a very bad wifi data rate.

That should not be the way I have to use my brand new notebook???

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Apple has an article regarding your issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365

The thing is it doesn't matter what WiFi adapter you have. 2.4 GHz WiFi and Bluetooth interferes with each other. Use a 2.4 GHz USB wireless mouse since it uses different scheme that doesn't interfere with WiFi.

0 Kudos
OWolf
Beginner

Yes it does matter! And I´m sure this is a specific Problem of the AC7260

I use my Motorola RAZRi Smartphone all the time in this way: simultaneously streaming music via Wifi to the phone and play it on my Bluetooth Bose Speaker. It works perfectly with my phone.

So this IS a matter of the WiFi adapter. I suspect it to be a problem with the Data rate or to close distance of antennas on the chip. Does the AC 7260 use the same 2,4 Ghz antenna and processor for BT and Wifi?

My Question to intel: Is this a problem that will be solved or do I have to return my notebook to the store?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The Wireless will use the same antenna for both resources. As theveterans says, Bluetooth runs at 2.4GHz so you can try setting it up at 2.4GHz again and using a third party software you can monitor your network environment and based on that select the less crowded channel. This will help you to avoid Interference.

0 Kudos
DChes1
Beginner

OWolfgang wrote:

Yes it does matter! And I´m sure this is a specific Problem of the AC7260

Totally agree! And this does appear to be a problem with the older firmware. Fortunately, the latest firmware appears to fix it. More info here:

0 Kudos