Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel PROSet Wireless Software; 802.1X Computer Authentication

mpgioia
Beginner

With the native Microsoft wireless client I've noticed one can select,

- User Authentication

- Computer Authentication

- User or Computer Authentication

when configuring 801.X.

See screenshot below,

But, iterating through a similar profile setup in Intel PROSet Wireless software i've noticed (or perhaps given the UI layout.. it seems like), selecting an option of USER or COMPUTER authentication is not present ?

It's purely only User Authentication ?

Am I missing something ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello mpgioia,

We would like to provide you with the following information about your inquiry:

There is no direct equivalent in PROSet to the Windows* options for configuring the OS Computer / User / Computer or User authentication. The type of authentication used is determined by the type of profile created.

Here is some additional information about the two types of profile you can create with the PROSet admin tool:

1. For Pre-Logon/Common (PLC) only

PLC profiles are applied during, or after the user logs on.

2. For both Pre-Logon/Common and Persistent

Persistent profiles are applied at boot time, or whenever no user is logged on the computer.

For PEAP,

- A PLC only profile will use "User authentication".

- A PLC and Persistent profile will use "Computer or user authentication"

During, or before the user logs in, "User authentication" will be used.

After user logs off or reboot, "Computer authentication" will be used.

Please let us know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mpgioia,

The options available for the Security Settings with Intel® PROset/Wireless Software are a little different than the ones from Windows*. In PROset you use the Authentication Type and Authentication Protocol settings to enter user/computer credentials, certificates, etc.

You can find more information about these Protocols in the following document:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006999.html 802.1x Overview and EAP Types

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
mpgioia
Beginner

Computer credentials ?

Screenshot me.. where ?

All I see on my side, with my PROSet software app is 'PEAP User'...

And your link goes nowhere.. the external link is http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006999.html 802.1x Overview and EAP Types

-----

Edited by moderator with the correct link to the document.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mpgioia,

Sorry for the incorrect link, I edited the hyperlink to the 802.1x reference document.

Please let us know the adapter model, Operating System an driver version you are using.

We will check further on your question and will provide additional information soon.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
mpgioia
Beginner

Adapter (irrelevant mind you, but i'll quote it): Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Driver Version: of the adapter or PROSet version ? I think you want more the PROSet version, no ? I can choose the differing MACHINE versus USER options on Windows client, but the way the PROSet client is rendered, it makes choosing machine versus user difficult to interpret, if able to be selected at all.

Anyhow, Driver Version of adapter: 18.33.3.2, PROSet version: 18.40.2.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information. We are checking further on this and will update soon.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mpgioia,

We have engaged additional resources for this inquiry and it is under investigation. Please allow some time so we can obtain more information about it.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mpgioia,

We would like to provide you with the following information about your inquiry:

There is no direct equivalent in PROSet to the Windows* options for configuring the OS Computer / User / Computer or User authentication. The type of authentication used is determined by the type of profile created.

Here is some additional information about the two types of profile you can create with the PROSet admin tool:

1. For Pre-Logon/Common (PLC) only

PLC profiles are applied during, or after the user logs on.

2. For both Pre-Logon/Common and Persistent

Persistent profiles are applied at boot time, or whenever no user is logged on the computer.

For PEAP,

- A PLC only profile will use "User authentication".

- A PLC and Persistent profile will use "Computer or user authentication"

During, or before the user logs in, "User authentication" will be used.

After user logs off or reboot, "Computer authentication" will be used.

Please let us know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan
mpgioia
Beginner

Fair enough.

Amazing that one has to eventuate the entire separate package of the 'Admin Tool' in order to eventuate EAP auth of the client/supplicant to pivot across USER or COMPUTER auth.

Something that the native wireless software client does natively...

Something Intel should really work on. Lacking in terms of Enterprise functionality.

But thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are glad that the information helped to resolve your inquiry. We are continuously working to improve our products and your feedback is very valuable.

Feel free to let us know in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos