Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel PROSet Wireless Software Insecure

Cyberchipz
Beginner

I am having two issues with my primary computer.  These issues have not halted production; but, as the possible security issues increase I would like to determine my options.  I would of course love to just get another machine; but, that is not at option for me at this time. 

I am an individual private user and I use SecTeer to provide an IT security solution for my driver management.  A recent inspection of my machine produced the following regarding one of my Intel drivers. (see bottom of text)  I do not use this service and would like to safely remove this from my system.  

I tried to update to the version indicated below but when I run it I get an error from the Intel Software Installer: "This software package cannot be installed on your system."

Otherwise I would upgrade.  Also, Microsoft System Check says:  The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11.  Processor:  Intel Core i5-7600K CPU 

Researching the issue revealed a security flaw which indicates that this will not be able to be supported by Windows 11.  My only other question is, will you be able to fix the issue mentioned by Microsoft?  Or do you know if I can upgrade the processor?

I did install your Intel Driver and Support Assistant, and no update were available.

I realize this is a lot to ask; and so humbly I await a response.  If an upgrade for a higher generation of the i5 is available and it has the same pin and footprint, and would work, I do have a skill set that would permit me to do this. 

Intel PROSet Wireless Software Intel Corporation 17.15.0.5 Insecure  
Recommended version: 22.180.4.1OkBy: Intel CorporationBased on: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Netwbw02.sysDetected Architecture: x64
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Cyberchipz, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your computer.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. Is this a laptop or desktop computer?

3. What is the brand and model name of your wireless adapter?

Bear in mind that Microsoft decides which processor is compatible with the operating system and only Microsoft can confirm if any other model can be supported.

The notification received is not an issue since it is just Microsoft letting you know that your processor is not compatible with Windows 11.

You can check more details at the following link:

1. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087875/processors.html

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Cyberchipz
Beginner

One of these days I'll learn to keep my issues separate! Re Win 11, yeah, and I've seen the workarounds, I'll pass or upgrade the machine's hardware some time or get a new one. Win 10 is working fine for me, for how long is anyone's guess.

FYI: This is the first Intel machine I've bought since AMD came out.  So far, except for the i5 gen error that inhibits Win11, the WiFi issue the machine is well behaved, and I've had no compatibility issues.  Up until last month, no security issues were found. I've worked on this since it was announced by SecTeer, and my lack of specific knowledge of  the device listed below has prevented me from finding an update on the driver.  Any help appreciated!

So, thanks for the Win 11 info - darn Microsoft!  Now...

Re the: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 

You asked:

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

This is the original adapter that came with my system. 

2. Is this a laptop or desktop computer?

It is a desktop computer.

3. What is the brand and model name of your wireless adapter?

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160  - I attached my system information which I personal found to be of no help.  I realize now that Cyberpower doesn't list all the specs of the system, I do not see the AC3160 listed in the specs; nevertheless, it was on my system when I bought it.    The only addition I made was an SSD!

I disabled the device by moving the suspect  Netwbw02.sys (x64) and associated support files and .dat file to a safe and secure location, The system still detects the Wireless device; but, it's clear the drivers are effectively disabled permanently.  (If you disagree, please I'd be happy to hear about it.)

This is OK for me if or until I can fix it.  I seldom use it anyway. 

Here's my current status:
My security via SecTeer Vulndetect no longer detects the device.
Initially SecTeer Vulndetect recommended the update here at intel for what they called an Intel PROSet with the driver located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Netwbw02.sys x64 which came built in with my  current system; however the Device Manager calls it an "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160".   I downloaded the recommended update, however, running and accepting the installer produced a error message from the installer notifying me that "This software package cannot be installed on your system." (see attached image) without stating why, there is no workaround available to me, or none I recognize.

Again, I don't use this device often; but I do use it on occasion.  If you know anything that would help me get it back and running with current drivers I'd appreciate it.

Note: Image of the installation error, and system information attached!
ONE LAST QUESTON:  I'll take any help with the first one, first.  The specs do say that this motherboard can take a 7th gen processor, can you determine from this information if that means I could upgrade the processor?  Presuming I have the skill, and I do! If yes, would I need to swap out updated memory for this.  I think because of the speed and bus, that the answer is yes.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Cyberchipz,  

I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160.  

Unfortunately, this product was discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html 

Just to let you know, this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos