Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7511 Discussions

Intel(R) 6E AX211 160MHz - Very slow connection

hs123456
Novice

Good evening

I do have a problem with my new Laptop and the internet connection.

It has a Intel(R) 6E AX211 160MHz

The driver version is 22.160.0.4

If I do connect it directly to the router, it has a very slow download speed (see bild1).

However.. if I use my mobile phone as in-between, it works just fine (see bild2).

With my other Laptop, the direct connection is no problem.

What do I do wrong?

Thank you for your support.

17 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Are you having issues with Wifi or Bluetooth or both?
  • What is the model of the laptop?
  • When did it start to happen?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • What do you mean by saying that you use a phone as an in-between?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
hs123456
Novice

Thank you very much

I will try to answer your questions

• Are you having issues with Wifi or Bluetooth or both?

Bluetooth works fine

• What is the model of the laptop?

ThinkPad P1 Gen 5

• When did it start to happen?

I got my laptop 3 days ago as a new product. The problem was there since the beginning.

• Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

It is the original one

• Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?

I only have my home network -> so no I have not checked that

• What do you mean by saying that you use a phone as an in-between?

To see, if there was maybe a problem with the hardware, I tried to connect the laptop to my android phone (samsung galaxy s11) with the option "mobile hotspot".

Then I connected the laptop to the phone and the phone to the router. This works just fine.

But if I connect the laptop directly to the router, I do have a very slow download.

With my "old" Lenovo Laptop (same location in the flat), the direct connection to the router works fine.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456,

Thanks for your response.

I want to confirm more information about the system, so please, provide me with the following:

• Your Router model.
  • What are the expected network speed and the download speed you get when you use your new ThinkPad P1 Gen 5 laptop?
  • How are you using your phone as an in-between? Do you require to use an application to use both the hotspot and Wifi at the same time?

Please, make sure that you use the default and recommended settings for Intel® Wireless Adapters supporting 802.11n. To change these settings.

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000005544/wireless.html

Also, I would like to request performing a clean installation of our Intel generic driver (22.160.0). Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, and we recommend using drivers from your system manufacturer (OEM). If you want to try our driver, please follow these instructions:

• Download and save the driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

• Disconnect the unit to the internet.

• Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

1. Go to Device Manager.

2. Expand the Network Adapters category.

3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

4. Make sure the option to Delete the driver software for this device is selected.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

• Restart your computer.

• Install the driver downloaded before

Locate the driver you downloaded. Right-click the file you downloaded, and select the option to Run as administrator.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
BillMann69
Beginner

I would love to hear an explanation as to the relevance of graphics driver to WiFi. From a hardware perspective, I can guarantee than within my Dell 9720, they are 2 very distinct components. 

yet, despite multiple attempts, the 6E AX211 refuses to exceed 500 Mbps connecting to a default configured Xfinity (comcast) device. 

Even my 5 y.o. Alienware (with Killer WiFi) manages almost twice that speed.

0 Kudos
hs123456
Novice

Thank you for your answer and your time.

I would like to answer your questions:

• Your Router model.

Model: TWG870UG

Channel No 11

• What are the expected network speed and the download speed you get when you use your new ThinkPad P1 Gen 5 laptop?

I tried a online speed test (on green.ch) with my old laptop (Lenovo, around 8 years old, Win 7, 8 GB Ram, Prozessor Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4700MQ CPU 2.4GHz), Intel(R) Dual Band Wirlesss AC 7260

The speed test with my old laptop gave me:

- ping 12

- jitter 3

- Download 25 Mbps

- Upload 10 Mbps

With my Gen 5:

- ping 12

- jitter 24

- Download 1.9Mbps

- Upload 5 Mbps

• How are you using your phone as an in-between? Do you require to use an application to use both the hotspot and Wifi at the same time?

No, I go directly by the Settings of the android phone

I will try to do the steps you mentioned above.

Also I will take the laptop Gen 5 to work with me next week and will try to run it over the general wi-fi net provided for the guest by my employer as well as over the internal net.

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

The TWG870 is a VoIP wireless cable router with four 10/100/1000Base-T LAN ports, one USB port and a two FXS ports for VoIP. It is DOCSIS / EuroDOCSIS 3.0 compliant and provides WAN throughput of up to 440Mbps.

Wireless
 Maximum Wireless Speed: 108 Mbps
 WiFi standards supported: 802.11b (Wi-Fi 1)
802.11g (Wi-Fi 3)
802.11n (draft)
 Wifi security/authentication: WEP
WPA (TKIP)
WPA2 (AES)
802.1X (EAP-MD5/TLS/TTLS/PEAP)
 WiFi modes: Access point
 internal antenna(s): 2
 WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup):

Get a better router.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456,

I appreciate the information provided.

I want to wait to confirm the outcome of trying the clean installation of the wireless driver to check if the issue persists. Also, let me know if you face any problems when you try other networks.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello hs123456

Thanks for your response.

Based on the symptoms I would say that the issue is something at the Acess Point (AP) side and not the wireless card or driver, therefore, as our last recommendation, I advise checking with your AP Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for firmware update and or further configuration.

Remember that the thread will be closed. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

WPA-2 should be WPA-3 can change it * ,, on N band should be on AX band, N band is merely an enhancement of A band, AX band is enhancement of AC band, your router should have AX band checked marked in the router GUI on line, from there can adjust the bandwidth for the fastest download/upload speed- most wifi routers on line have a speed test in GUI so you can check your speed after the settings have been adjusted, the wifi router should have the latest firmware also. Windows 11 is optimized for wifi 6.

*The router is on wpa-2, change it to wpa 3 online 5 GHZ band, on the 2.4GHZ band change it wpa3 + wpa 2.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
robinwilson16
Beginner

I have experienced extremely slow speed with this specific wireless adaptor where other laptops in the same room are able to achieve reliable download speeds of 50MBits+ and upload of 8MBits this wireless adaptor achieves only about 20 down but then network activity can stop altogether and upload drops to 0.19MBits. The area is covered by various AX access points each on their own channel.

It doesn't matter if it is transfers from the local network or downloads from the internet.

Newer drivers made no difference and the only thing that worked was to disable the network adaptor and plug in a USB adaptor which gives comparable speeds to other devices. Even a TP-Link device for £12 resolves the issue but then uses up a USB port and sticks out.

Two devices from different manufacturers with the same network hardware as well as other devices I have tested exhibit exactly the same issue so I am now avoiding devices with this specific chipset as it makes the network barely usable. I have tested on other networks and it is the same.

The earlier AX201 does not have this issue but there appears to be something badly wrong with the AX211 and I would avoid it at all costs.

Does not work properly:

Intel(r) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz

Works properly:

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

3Fees
New Contributor I

What is the model of your router ?

Is it a Wifi-5, Wifi-6 or Wifi-6E router ?

AX211 is WiFi 6E card.

What speed is your cable connection ?

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
FabrizioFio
Beginner
3Fees
New Contributor I

The Intel AX211 requires an Intel 600 Series Chipset or no go. The AX211 works with some laptops that have customized drivers and 13th Generation Processor, your mileage may vary.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
Lenovo9iBookUser
Beginner

Has this issue been resolved because I am having the same issue. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 9i Book with the Intel 6E AX211 Wi-Fi card. Immediately after startup the card works very fast, but within a minute it starts to get progressively slower to the point where it becomes almost unusable. The slow issue is the same whether using the Wi-Fi card for internet activities or just WLAN activities. 

0 Kudos
Cdarche
Novice

I just got a new Dell Inc. XPS 17 9730, 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-13900H, BIOS 1.11, running with Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit) vers: 23H2 (10.0.22631). The Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz has also the latest pilot: 23.40.0.4. 

The slowness of the link speed is noticed when moving few step away from the internet box. It drops from 866Mbps to 200Mbs to 0. 

My other devices:  an notebook and a Samusung laptop have no such issue and they are not using Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz. The Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz is not working properly. 

0 Kudos