Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Issue

BMill13
Beginner

Hi! A couple months ago I realized that between 9:00-10:00 at night my internet connection would slow down do about a ping of 400+. I assumed it was because many people around my town were using the internet and thought nothing much of it. After 10:00 it would stop and things will continue as normal. More recently, though, it has been starting around 7:00-8:00. I'm more active on my laptop around these times, and it's becoming a very big problem. No one else in my house has a slow connection at all throughout the day, and my phone doesn't experience this issue either. I have taken the assumption that this is something with my laptop. I decided to try and fix the issue myself, but seem to have only made it worse. I revert all my changes and it's still worse. Now it's on for 5 minutes, off for 5 minutes. It seems to have just stopped, as it's past 10:00, allowing me to type this out. Anyway, as far as I can tell I have my drivers updated completely, and everything is working properly. I have absolutely no idea what might be causing this. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before please tell me. Additionally, if you need me to attach any screenshots of anything, just let me know. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Wasdspacemouse,

We understand that you have been experiencing some connectivity issues with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 adapter.

In order to better assist you we would first like to get a better look at your system.

Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility while connected to your network. This application will scan your system and allow you to save your current hardware configuration and settings into a report.

You will be able to attach this file to your thread by switching over to the "advanced editor" while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BMill13
Beginner

This should be the file I saved from running the program.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wasdspacemouse,

I noticed that you're connecting to a legacy 802.11g network, which could be part of the issue.

In order to increase compatibility with this network, we can suggest setting your HT Mode to "HT" instead of "VHT." VHT works better with 802.11ac networks.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings.

Another thing to keep in mind is that VPNs modify your network driver. We can suggest making sure that your VPN software is up to date. You can also temporarily uninstall this software to see if the issue goes away.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BMill13
Beginner

I'll let you know in a couple of days if these things have worked or at least suppressed the problem a bit. Thanks for the help thus far.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wasdspacemouse,

We look forward to finding out your results.

If the issue is still not resolved, please follow the steps on this article to create a WLAN report and share the file with us:

- https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47080-create-wlan-report-windows-10-a.html How to Create a WLAN Report in Windows® 10.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BMill13
Beginner

It seems to have not worked too well. I didn't see much downtime in my connection for a while, but after about 8:30 tonight it started getting wobbly, and now it's sometimes great solid connection like watching YouTube videos at 1080p without buffering, and sometimes very bad like can't watch YouTube videos at 144p without buffering. I attached a Wlan report with which I can only hope that sends correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wasdspacemouse,

This is odd since you mentioned nobody else connecting to your network is having this issue.

Does this happen regardless of where you are in relation to your router?

Have you tried uninstalling your VPN software?

It's also possible that this may be due to your router, as some have limitations on how many devices may connect. And once this limit is reached, some devices are placed lower on the routers "priority list," if you may. This is often called Quality of Service (QoS) or Media Access Control (MAC).

In this case, you could check to see if your router's firmware can be updated. Or consider upgrading to a newer (802.11n or 802.11ac) router, which would result in the most marked improvement.

The following articles may also help:

- https://routerguide.net/best-router-physical-placement-guide/ Best Router Physical Placement Guide.

- http://Six Things That Block Your Wi-Fi, and How to Fix Them Six Things That Block Your Wi-Fi, and How to Fix Them.

- https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/ How to Use Quality of Service (QoS) to Get Faster Internet When You Really Need It.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BMill13
Beginner

I have not tested it this happens elsewhere in my house, and considering I'm on a laptop, I could test it. The problem is, I have my laptop set up at my desk, and it would be very difficult to permanently move it to a more reliable location. Additionally, our router was set up in it's place, and the only way we could move it closer to me is to have someone from CenturyLink come in and move it for us.

I just uninstalled my VPN software, and although I never have it on, it shouldn't be running in the background if it had been.

I tried out the QoS system and found that it's actually already enabled. The link provided didn't help much with my service provider (CenturyLink) as it's far different than the examples they used. I don't completely understand what I was looking for, but there was some options. First option was "Enable" and "Disable". Second option was "Upstream" and "Downstream" and it was on upstream. I tried turning off QoS to see if it helps much, considering it's already on, and I have yet to see any results. I also couldn't find a way to set priority over other devices.

I'm not sure how to check if my routers firmware actually needs to be upgraded, nor am I sure as to how I go about doing so. After checking through my Modem Configuration page, I found this: Wireless Mode: 802.11b - 802.11g - 802.11n Mode

I'm not sure, but I think that's saying I'm using all of those? Honestly, I don't actually know what they mean in the slightest.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wasdspacemouse,

Next time you have a slow connection you could move your laptop closer to the router to see if the issue continues (for troubleshooting, not permanently). If it goes away, it's possible that something is causing interference making it harder for the signal to reach you sporadically. If it doesn't, then we know it may be a configuration or priority list type issue.

Wireless standards are complicated, if you don't know much about them, you're probably just lucky and haven't passed through this headache before. They're not entirely logical either:

StandardRelease Date802.11b1999802.11a(later in) 1999802.11g2002802.11n2007802.11ac2013

Currently you're connecting through 802.11g, but your adapter seems capable of 802.11n (which is a bit old, but very common still).

In this case it may be best to contact your service provider, they should be able to help you configure your router either to set up QoS or to find out why you're connecting to 802.11g and not wireless-N. If you're lucky they may be able to upgrade your router.

Relating to all this, we have the following book available for free on our website. Once you get past the slightly condescending title, it does actually contain some very good and useful information:

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.html 802.11ac Wi-Fi for Dummies.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MMIRZ1
Beginner

Please help i am facing the same problem it has ruined my new laptop hp probook 450 g4 intel if this adapter is worse so stop producing it. You waste all my money and also stop producing and wifi adapter you could not produce good wifi. Intel adapter just ruins pc. I will change the adapter with realtek and will never buy laptop having intel wifi adapter. Intel bull shit wifi adapters.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mustafa_mirza,

This particular issue turned out to be a network, not an adapter issue. However, we'll be more than glad to assist.

Was this adapter originally installed in your system, or an upgrade?

Please download and run our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility System Support Utility. This will scan your system's hardware configuration and settings and save the information into a report. You may then attach the report to your following reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos