Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7568 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz throws error codes and stops working when running steam games

mcbess
Novice

A couple weeks ago, my PC started having WiFi connectivity problems whenever I had a steam game running, and after some googling, I found a temporary solution which was to disable IPv6 on my network driver. It was then working perfectly fine up until yesterday or the day before.

It was the exact same problem: perfectly fine WiFi connection up until I had a game running from Steam. It didn't matter whether the game itself was online or not, running it would tank my WiFi on any app I had running in the background, like a voice call, as well as cause disconnects from servers if the game I was running was actually online.

These errors, in this order, are what gets put out in the event viewer whenever a game is running:
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.
5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

When the game runs, it doesn't disconnect my WiFi entirely, or affect how many bands I get in the taskbar, it simply tanks my speeds from 100~ Mbps to as low as 5~ Mbps, as well as the error codes.

Other than when a game is running, I have absolutely no problems with my WiFi on this computer.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mcbess,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I want to understand what happened just as much as you do.  

To have a better view of this issue, please confirm the following:

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. Is the Bluetooth working?   

3. Is this a laptop or desktop computer? 

4. What is the brand and model name of your laptop or motherboard (if desktop)?

5. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

mcbess
Novice

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  It is the original adapter

2. Is the Bluetooth working?   I think so

3. Is this a laptop or desktop computer?  Desktop computer

4. What is the brand and model name of your laptop or motherboard (if desktop)?  ASUS Prime B760M-A D4

5. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?  Windows 11 Vers. 22H2 OS Build 22621.2283

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mcbess, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I checked the Asus website and it does not list a wireless card installed on this motherboard. I recommend you check with Asus to confirm compatibility and installation instructions.

You can also try the following:

1. Perform a clean install of the Intel drivers:

2. If possible, update your BIOS version:

3. Run all the Windows updates, including the optional ones.

4. Make sure you are using the antennas that came with the adapter.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

mcbess
Novice

1. I had tried that already to no success, the network driver installed is the inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preinstalled on my system, and it made no difference when i changed it
2.  I haven't been able to update my BIOS so I'll give that a try when I can
3. I've done that, none left to run
4. Antennas are screwed on and have been since I got the PC

Something to note; I have a much worse WiFi network that I am able to connect to that doesn't throw the error codes when I run games. The only difference to note between the two network connections is that the worse network gets me 10~ Mbps compared to 150~, and uses 2.4 Ghz vs. the better network using 5 Ghz.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mcbess, 

Thanks for the confirmation. to continue with the support I would like to try and confirm the following:

1. Were you able to update your BIOS?

2. If possible, try with a different AP/router and test the 5GHz to check if teh issue persists.

3. Try to run any firmware available for your AP/router.

4. Try the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity" article:

5. Just to confirm, is this issue only present under the 5GHZ band?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

mcbess
Novice

1. BIOS has now been updated, has not made a difference
2. No other router to test with unfortunately
3. We use Starlink and it was updated last night
4. Driver was already running the recommended settings as listed in that article
5. I've checked again just now, and yes the issue is only present when using the 5 Ghz Band

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mcbess, 

Thanks for the information provided. At this point, if your system is up to date and the wireless adapter is using the recommended settings, the last option would be to check with Asus to confirm if the BIOS and motherboard is working properly and to check compatibility.

You can also check with the place of purchase to confirm if you can replace the wireless card.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos