Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7737 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz ping spikes and connection timeouts - Wireless (Netwtw14 issue?)

NimbusDE
Beginner

Before you do any hasty assessment, please read the following carefully. I am aware about similar posts, but I'm sure I've read them all and nothing I found from those guys worked here.

About three weeks ago, I had built a new computer, which has the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz networking built into my motherboard. Everything was fine until around one week ago, when suddenly my pings started to spike up to 5000ms and short connection timeouts started to take place.

This is in German, but it's obviously what it means: ,,REQUEST TIMED OUT".This is in German, but it's obviously what it means: ,,REQUEST TIMED OUT".

While browsing the internet, I sometimes get the error message ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED and similar stuff, or it just loads a really long time - depending on if the ping is just high or if I get a timeout. My wifi router also tells me that my transfer rate, regarding Mesh, is the only one which is usually very low, sometimes even just 1mb/s, especially with 5GHz.

At that time, I used single Wifi with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, where my system decides by itself which one it would use. While trying to figure out solutions for my problem in recent days, I did split the wifi into two different networks, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5Ghz. I figured that the 5Ghz one is more affected by this problem, where ping spikes are more extreme and timeouts happen much more often than in the 2.4GHz one. Still, the latter wifi network has the same issue and every solution I've tried did not work yet and believe me, there were lots of possible solutions, many of which I can't even remember anymore without a hint.

Another issue I've noticed are the error messages in the event manager. I will now name you every single one that is marked as red error and could indicate where my issues are coming from. Because my system is in German, it does not make any sense to provide screenshots and I will name you the different event ID's:

• 5002 (Network adapter malfunction has been detected)
  • 5005 (Internal error occurred)
  • 5007 (The description for event ID "5007" from source "Netwtw14" was not found)

Let me tell you what my last attempts were, in order to fix this problem. One might think this has something to do with my wifi drivers, but I don't think so. First, I had the driver which was advertised by my motherboard producer (my mobo is the MSI Tomahawk Z790 Wifi) the Intel WIFI Driver 22.230.0.8 and Intel Network Drivers 2.1.3.15. Yesterday, I installed the Intel WIFI driver 23.20.0.4. It changed nothing, didn't solve the issue at all.

Obviously I'm using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, which tells me that my Intel® drivers and software are up to date.Obviously I'm using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, which tells me that my Intel® drivers and software are up to date.

Here are the current settings of my network adapter extended properties:

• Wake on magic packet: Activated
  • Wake on pattern match: Activated
  • ARP offloading for WoWLAN: Activated
  • Preferred band: 1. None (should not be relevant with split wifi networks?)
  • Throughput Booster: Deactivated
  • Fat channel intolerant: Deactivated
  • GTK rekeying for WoWLAN: Activated
  • Channel widths are all on auto (for 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz), 20MHz would be alternative
  • MIMO power save mode: No SMPS
  • NS offloading for WoWLAN: Activated
  • Packet Coalescing: Activated
  • Roaming aggressiveness: 1. Lowest
  • Mixed mode protection: RTS/CTS activated
  • U-APSD support: Deactivated
  • Transmit power: 5. Highest
  • Ultra High-Band (6 GHz): Activated (even though I can't use it)
  • 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode or Wireless Mode: 6. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g
  • 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode: 4. 802.11ax

I really hope I can get this over with asap, because it already took a lot of my energy in recent days, trying to find the problem and some solution. I really don't know what else to do now.

Something else, which I'm a bit uncomfortable to talk about, but yet I think it's important to clear something up: Lan connection seems to work without issues, but didn't have the chance to test it longer term. I'm currently studying at a university and therefore living with my mom. Because of the distance between my PC and the router (talking about 10 metres), a wired connection would be across the apartment and let's say this, she does not like that at all. Therefore, I'm obliged to use wifi only. Anways, I also paid for this motherboard, inluding the network chip anyway, and I want it to work. So please refrain from suggestions like "just use lan". By the way, all other devices in my houshold do not have this wifi issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jo_Monette08
Beginner

Hello there,

I seem to be having the same issue with the same wi-fi card. Even my Ethernet doesn't seem to be connecting. I did two things and it seems to be working. I use CCleaner and I could do a rollback to the previous version of the driver for that part. I also found this solution on reddit, seems to have worked for others and works for me at the moment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3ahg59/fix_for_wireless_ping_spikes/

For me, where it says:

Auto configuration logic is enabled on interface "Wireless Network Connection"

The name of my network was "Wi-Fi 2". So for the next step:

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireless Network Connection"

I changed the name of the connection to that "Wi-Fi 2".

Hope this helps!

Joe

0 Kudos
NimbusDE
Beginner

@Jo_Monette08 

Hey there,

thank you for sharing your experience.

That seems pretty interesting, I will try the latter asap, and maybe rolling back my driver version, even though that seems kind of odd and I doubt it will do anything. But I will not install any kind of third party software, like CCleaner, because I do not trust such stuff. There must be a way without that.

0 Kudos