Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz does not automatically connect to WiFi

Brenski
Beginner

As it says really. We have two of these ASUS VivoBook X513EA (win10) laptops both only three months old. Suddenly last week one of them has decided to forget to autoconnect to wifi at power up. It does autoconnect the very next time after being manually reacquainted with the network.

The device is an Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz

Here's some of the unsuccessful fixes I've tried: (attempted with all five drivers dated from Apr 2021 to Dec 2021)

♦ Ctrl Panel > Remove device > rediscover > reconnect > restart
♦ Ctrl Panel > Remove device > shutdown . Power up > rediscover > reconnect > shutdown > Power up
♦ Ctrl Panel > Remove device & Drivers > rediscover > reconnect > rerestart
♦ Ctrl Panel > Remove device & Drivers > shutdown . Power up > rediscover > reconnect > shutdown > Power up
♦ Settings > Wifi > Manage Wifi Settings > Forget > rediscover > Select Connect Automatically > restart
♦ Settings > Wifi > Manage Wifi Settings > Forget > rediscover > Select Connect Automatically > restart > shutdown > Power up
♦ Command Prompt (Admin) /Powershell > netsh wlan show profiles > netsh wlan delete profile name="Name of the Wi-Fi network"
♦ Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWcmSvc > WcmSvc > GroupPolicy > fMinimizeConnections

Ctrl Panel > Devices > View Hidden Devices > remove Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter (despite removal it auto reinstates itself - sometimes upto 5 of thes eare showing)

♦ SFC /scannow

♦ Windows update

wireless automatically connects to wifi on reboot, but will never do so from power-up.

I'm now at a loss. 
Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is this laptop, by any chance, also connecting to an Ethernet network? By default, it will not automatically connect to wireless if this is the case.

Just a thought,

...S

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

it doesn't have an ethernet port, so no - it isn't.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

One thing to try is a clean reinstall of the Wireless driver packages. Here is my process for doing so (less confusing that that defined by Intel, IMHO):

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation). (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.

Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".

checked Apps & Features, neither of your above entries exist. so it won't be that then?

the rest of your solution, well, I've attempted around 20 times now in the course of my top post "fixes".

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This part of the process is actually to get rid of older driver packages that might still be around and interfering. If no  Intel PROSet/Wireless Software entry there, no harm no foul - but the lack of a Bluetooth entry is somewhat concerning since, if you have install the Bluetooth package from Intel, it may be an indicator for another (though possibly unrelated) problem.

The main thing here is to go through the reinstallation process with Internet access completely disabled. This avoids any interference from Windows Update, which as screwed up so many things.

...S

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

I've worked my way through the reinstall process again - having used the disc cleanup tool as part of the device/drivers removal.

still no joy.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, ok, Intel Customer Support will need to investigate this further...

...S

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Do you get any error codes on the device manager?
  2. Were any changes or updates made recently to the system?
  3. Does the issue occurs when trying to connect to other networks?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

@JosueO_Intel 

re: your reply:

1. Do you get any error codes on the device manager?
  2. Were any changes or updates made recently to the system?
  3. Does the issue occurs when trying to connect to other networks?

1. Please look at my top post again - all of the answers are there. there is so much detail in my top post, did it not occur to you that - having been in/out of device manager so often during this process that - if there had been and error, i may have reported it.

2. No there were not.

3. Again please re-read my post - The issue occurs each and every time the machine is powered up - this is regardless of which SSID. If it was connecting at power up, I'd have said so.

@JosueO_Intel I find your replies to be a little insulting. do you not think that someone who has done as much as I have so far with this issue, may have already covered the basic stuff to which you refer? your reply here is EXACTLY like your previous reply to me in another thread in November 2021. i found it consdescending and unhelpful. Please do not reply to any of my questions ever again.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski,

I apologize if there was a misunderstanding with the questions made in my previous post. I just wanted to make sure of some details that were not posted on the previous posts to continue with the troubleshooting. 

We noticed that some changes have been made to the registry key on the OS, it is important for you to know that this is not recommended as it can affect in a negative way how the OS works causing other issues. 

Also, it is worth mentioning that for these cases, it is recommended to check with the system manufacturer for any malfunctions of their products, however, we will do our best to assist you before needing to contact them. 

In this case, please provide us with the Intel® System Support utility, this will allow us to have a better view of your system. Also, please confirm if this is the original wireless adapter of the system. 

We noticed that the clean installation had been made using Intel® generic drivers, have you tried using the drivers provided by ASUS? You can find them at the following link:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Vivobook/Vivobook-15-X513-11th-gen-Intel/HelpDesk_Download/?model2Name=ASUS-Vivobook-15-X513EA

These drivers have been customized and optimized to work specifically with your system, please give them a try and let us know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

@JosueO_Intel  this is the last time I am speaking with you, because (yet again) you have completely failed to read/understand my posts. I suggest you go back to my top post ad re-read it - the answers are there for you.

however, to humour you ONE last time, here goes:

We noticed that some changes have been made to the registry key on the OS, it is important for you to know that this is not recommended as it can affect in a negative way how the OS works causing other issues.  I'm not a moron, I know how to edit the registry and how to undo changes made.  

Also, please confirm if this is the original wireless adapter of the system.  unbelievable question. as i said in the top post - the laptop is THREE MONTHS OLD - of course it's the original wireless adapter. the very fact that you forwarded me a link to the downloads for the card from Asus website shows that YOU already knew this, but you still ask. how ridiculous!

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Vivobook/Vivobook-15-X513-11th-gen-Intel/HelpDesk_Download/?mo...

I have no idea how you can think the level of advice you provide is of any use. at best it's ill-informed  nonsense and at worst it's deflection tactics. If you are employed by Intel, perhaps I need to forward these messages to them - in order that they can see the (lack of) quality of support their staff provide?

If you can help then help, but do not offer illogical, ill-thought advice especially before actually reading my OP.

I suspect that (in reality) you probably can't help, so Please do NOT reply to me again. 

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi there,

I will go ahead and close this thread for now per the PM I sent. Thank you for understanding.

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos