Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel WiFi cards connect with 802.11g mode only instead of 802.11n

bege
Novice

This is the continuation of this post which has been closed. It is about a Thinkpad T570 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Wifi card not connecting with 802.11n mode but only with 802.11g mode to my LTE router Speedport LTE II (802.11b/g/n, 2.4GHz, 300Mbps).

Meanwhile I bought a used Thinkpad P52 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 WiFi card which has the same issue. The WiFi card does connect with 802.11n mode to another router at a friends house and to the hotspot of my mobile phone but not to my router. An HP notebook with Realtek WiFi and three mobile phones from Samsung, Fairphone and Shiftphone do, but not the two Thinkpads with Intel WiFi cards.

As you can see in the linked post I tried the recommended settings and all other kinds of settings with no success. It seems that the Intel WiFi cards are not compatible with that router. Is 802.11n mode not the same everywhere?

Is there any way to convince the Intel WiFi card to connect with n mode to that router also? I don't want to buy a new LTE router.

Is there a chance that an AX200 WiFi card will not have this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
bege
Novice

Thank you for your suggestions. The router (Telekom Speedport LTE II = Huawei B593u-12) is rather old, so there is no more vendor support unfortunately.

Because there are two Lenovo Thinkpads with two different Intel WiFi cards not connecting correctly I decided not to try a third Intel WiFi card but another router. I bought a used and therefore cheap Huawei B535-232 and to this router the Thinkpad connects with n-mode.

So this issue is "solved" for my home configuration but the uncertainty remains that the Thinkpad/Intel WiFi card will connect to some other router somewhere in g mode only. And the disappointment remains that the Intel WiFi cards are so "special".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

Hello there bege

The 802.11n standard is indeed the same everywhere, but compatibility can vary due to different implementations by hardware manufacturers. The 802.11n mode, also known as Wi-Fi 4, is indeed standardized; however, compatibility issues can arise due to various factors such as firmware versions, router settings, and specific implementations by manufacturers. While the standard itself is consistent, the way it's implemented in different devices can lead to such issues.

To encourage your Intel WiFi card to connect using 802.11n mode to your LTE router, you can try the following steps:

1. Update Drivers and Firmware: Make sure that your Intel WiFi card and LTE router have the latest drivers and firmware installed. Manufacturers often release updates that improve compatibility and performance.
2. Router Settings: Access your router's settings and look for any options that might be restricting connections to 802.11g. Ensure that it is set to allow 802.11n connections, possibly within a mixed mode setting.
3. WiFi Adapter Settings: On your Thinkpad, open the Device Manager, navigate to the WiFi adapter's properties, and check the Advanced tab.Look for options related to 802.11n mode and ensure they are enabled.
4. Channel Width: Adjust the channel width settings for the 2.4GHz band on your WiFi card. Setting it to Auto can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.
5.Interference: Other devices operating on the same frequency can cause interference. Try changing the channel on your router to one that's less congested.

While the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card supports newer standards and may offer better compatibility, it's not guaranteed to resolve the issue if it's related to specific router settings or other environmental factors. It's always best to try and resolve the current compatibility issues before considering hardware upgrades.

Additionally, you might find it helpful to follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this guide: Intel Wireless Troubleshooting.

hope this helps,

Harry

0 Kudos
bege
Novice

Hi Harry,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately nothing changes.

1. Latest driver/firmware for WiFi card and router

2. All other devices connect to the router with n mode. It is enabled in router settings and works.

3. Recommended settings by Intel and any other combination of settings change nothing.

4. there are only 20MHz and Auto options, so I take Auto.

5. No matter where the notebook stands - same room, next room, right next to the router - it does not connect with n mode

0 Kudos
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I
hi bege
l understand your frustration, and l appreciate you trying those troubleshootíng steps. It seems like you've covered a lot of ground already. Since none of the changes have made a difference, it's possible that there may be a deeper underlying issue at play here....
Given that all other devices connect to the router with the "n" mode enabled and functioníng properly, its puzzling why your notebook isn't doing the same, even with recommended settings and different configurations.
At this point, it might be beneficial to explore some additional troubleshooting options One suggestion could be to contact router manufacturers support teams directly. They may have further insights or specific recommendations tailored to your setup that could help resolve the issue.
and...if you're still within warranty, it might be worth considering reaching out to your notebook manufacturer's support team for further assistance or to explore any hardware-related issues that could be contributing to the problem.

I hope this helps..
0 Kudos
bege
Novice

Thank you for your suggestions. The router (Telekom Speedport LTE II = Huawei B593u-12) is rather old, so there is no more vendor support unfortunately.

Because there are two Lenovo Thinkpads with two different Intel WiFi cards not connecting correctly I decided not to try a third Intel WiFi card but another router. I bought a used and therefore cheap Huawei B535-232 and to this router the Thinkpad connects with n-mode.

So this issue is "solved" for my home configuration but the uncertainty remains that the Thinkpad/Intel WiFi card will connect to some other router somewhere in g mode only. And the disappointment remains that the Intel WiFi cards are so "special".

0 Kudos