Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7447 Discussions

Intel WiFi6 AX201 160Mhz L3 Issues with RADIUS Authentication

mbardello
Beginner

We have several Dell Latitude 3520's, more are coming, with an Intel AX201 wireless adapter in them, that are experiencing connectivity issues. These issues take place whether the connection is an 802.11ac or 802.11ax based. The problem occurs when our uses authenticate using 802.1x to gain access to our network. When first connecting our users will authenticate successfully and have access to the network but, when the reauthenticate interval expires L3 connectivity gets dropped. The user will authenticate successfully but L3 connectivity stops. To clear this up we have to either disconnect/reconnect to the WiFi or wait for the next reauthentication interval to expire and L3 connectivity will return.

We are an Aruba shop and at locations where this issue currently exists we are running Aruba IAP-305s and IAP-535s. We have worked with Aruba to rule out an issue with their WAPs via packet captures and debugs. When the issue occurs we can see the Aruba WAPs sending the icmp packets back to the laptop but the laptop does not see them.

What we tried so far without any change:

What has worked so far:

• When we use a PSK for the SSID there are no issues.

Laptop(s) details:

Dell Latitude 3520

NIC - AX201

WIN10 - 20H2 - build 19042.1288

I've attached an Intel scan to this posting.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JonAre
Novice

Hello again

The driver I recived yesterday resolves the problem with Wi-FI 6 AX cards in HP notebooks. After loosing IP and 5-8 times a day, there has been no problems since yesterday.

Next question, we also expirience problems with "Wireless-AC 8265" cards. Does the provided driver also adresse these issues ?

View solution in original post

99 Replies
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi Josue,

I started a new thread on the forum. I still need assistance with my problem with wifi 6 and radius auth. If you want I can volunteer for the logs.

Best Regards

Jaap Heijmenberg

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Thank you for the quick response, in this case, please post on your thread the following logs, this will allow the team to analyze them and try to find a solution:

1. System Event
  2. WLAN-AutoConfig
  3. OTA trace

Let me know when you were able to post them. 

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi Josue,

What system event do you need?

Where can I find the WLAN-Autoconfig?

I tried googling for OTA trace but I can't find what to do with that.

Can you help me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

We have sent you an email with useful information to the address you use to register on the community forum. Please let us know if you receive it and let us know when you are able to post the logs on your thread. 

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Thank you for letting us know you posted the logs on your thread, updates will be posted there. 

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

JonAre
Novice

We accepted the solution that was postet around december/january with new drivers. 

Suddenly some weeks ago reports started at our helpdesk regarding the same problem again. Wireshark on HP clients with the WIFI6 intel card shows that OS is sending DHCP discover packets with no reply. Same behaviour as before, other hardware with Realtek cards are not affected with this. Im rolling out some test units with latest drivers at the moment, but one with the latest failed only a short time after update.

Do you have any indications or something on this at the moment ?

0 Kudos
FixItFelix
Novice

Yes, I had thought this was resolved, but it seems to be back. I am seeing a lot of 12014 events in event viewer where the device is constantly trying to reauthenticate. When it fails, the machine does not have connectivity until the device is disconnected from the WIFI and reconnected (reauthenticates). I have installed the latest driver from the Intel website, and still the issue persists.

0 Kudos
FritzFantomas
Novice

Hi,

same issue here with

Dell Latitude 7420, AX201, Windows 10 64bit 21H1

Dell Precision 7760, AX210, Windows 10 64bit 21H1 (upgraded to 21H2 then, did not help though)

APs are Cisco AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9

Tried all available driver versions from Intel and Dell. Tried all solutions recommended in this thread.

Accessing with WPA2 Enterprise (Radius), PFM disabled. The Wifi is connecting but then no packages are being sent from the adapter. Tried to give it a static IP, didn't help either.

I can confirm that connecting to a Wifi with PSK or without protection seems to work without any issues.

Please let me know if you need any further information about our configuration.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @JonAre and @FritzFantomas 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and thank you for your reports.

In order to provide you with the proper assistance, please create your own threads to isolate your case and system configuration.

Please make sure you add the following information when creating your thread:

• System model and specs (e.g.: maker and model(s), drivers, OS, BIOS versions, etc.):
  • Detailed information about the problem that you are having:
  • All the other information that you have added to this thread including AP/router models:
  • Very important: Please provide OTA (Over-The-Air) traces from the AP/ISP side.
  • In your new thread, make a reference to this thread.

For any other users experiencing this same issue, we also recommend creating a new thread and providing the information requested above.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
FritzFantomas
Novice
0 Kudos
MikeFFX
Beginner
@AndrewG_Intel We are having the same exact issue and same equipment. Can you provide guidance?
0 Kudos
Bob81
Beginner

I have the same issue with windows 10 21h2 with ax200/201 NIC... any driver we use are causing the issue... but not on all computers... it always occurs when there's a reauth/roaming scenario.

I have installed the latest drivers available from intel site for this nic (22.164.04) and keeps having the issue.

Is this driver include the fix from 22.110 that should resolve this issue?

If not can I get the 22.110 version?

FYI anykind of laptop we have(HP/Dell/Lenovo) are having this kind of NIC (AX200/201) and are impacted

Thanks

0 Kudos
Bob81
Beginner

Error we are using 22.160.0.4

0 Kudos
mcaptur
Beginner

We are facing same issue with 22.160 any update?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Bob81 and @mcaptur

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

You should know that this thread is no longer being monitored. If you are facing the same issue with Radius, submit a new question on the Wireless community forums, and provide a detailed explanation of your situation to have more personalized troubleshooting steps for your issue. If you'd like, you can try our suggestions from this thread. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/bd-p/wireless

Best Regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos