Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6 ax200 keeps disconnecting from my wifi

JVeli1
Novice

I recently got a new pc, and I set up everything, windows bios etc. Right from the start the wifi that was already installed in the motherbpard had troubles keeping connection with my wifi. It would happen very randomly at times and would also happen as I was downloading things. When I look at the wlan report, the most common disconnection was by the driver and the second was dissociation. The wifi's Im trying to connect to are 2.4 and 5

I have the gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard (BIOS F5) and the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x CPU, windows 10 (1903, os build 18362.329) and yes all my drivers are up to date including the intel wifi 6 ax200 drive (21.30.3.2)

At first I thought it was a windows problem so I have already changed power management, I have reset network and even re-installed windows and many other solutions and none have helped.

I have used other devices to connect to my wifi and there are no problems.

I have also used an usb wifi adapter and there were no issues with maintaining connection. I bought the motherboard specifically because it already had wifi built in, so I didn't have to use external adapters or wifi cards. So I really need this to work.

SO, I am left to think if there is a problem with the built in wifi? is it the driver as the wlan report says or is it the physical wifi in the motherboard?

31 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

JVeli1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

When did the issue start?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

For testing purposes, by any chance do you have a different router or Access Point (AP) that you can use to connect the computer and verify if the problem persists?

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in Gigabyte's web site and the latest Intel® Wireless driver validated by them is version 21.0.0.5g, please try a clean installation of that driver and let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JVeli1
Novice

yes this is a new computer I built and all parts are compatible checked.

It didn't work since the beginning

I did add softwares in the the beginning, but when I reinstalled windows all applications I added were deleted and it still didn't work.

The internet is working perfectly fine on phone devices and on my macbook pro so I believe it is working properly, but I have not contacted the service provider.

It is a home network.

I don't have another router unfortunately, but would a phone personal hotspot be a valid option to test?

And yes, I did use the manufacture's listed driver at first, it wasn't working and that is why I updated it to the one Intel assistant directed me to.

I did a bit more google searches, and it seems that this wif 6 ax200 is fairly new tech and even has specific ax routers. can this wifi have difficulties connecting to routers in 802.11 a/g and 802.11 a/n/ac modes? I saw there is an option to change the wif 6 ax200 from mode 4. 802.11ax to mode 3. 802.11ac

is any of that related to why I'm having problems?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVeli1, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to your question, yes, the problem could be related to the router not being ax compliant.

So, if you have the option to change the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card from mode 4. 802.11ax to mode 3. 802.11ac, please try that and let us know the results.

To use phone personal hotspot, in this case, will not work since probably it is not ax compliant neither, so we will have the same scenario as with the router.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVeli1, I just wanted to check if you were able to test the Wireless connection with 802.11ac mode and if the problem remains after that?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JVeli1
Novice

I have been using my computer regularly and it seems that this improved the problem by a lot. I still get 1 or 2 random disconnects at times though, but overall I can now use my PC for a much longer time without the disturbance of connection loss.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVeli1, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the computer is working fine now and that you are able to use it regularly without losing the Wireless connection that often.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
AHill21
Beginner

Has this been resolved I have a new fleet of laptops which use the WiFi 6 AX200 and WiFi 6 AX201.

The only was to fix this is in advanced and disable 802.11 n/ac/ax

Any update, fixes, information, etc...?

0 Kudos
avrosen
Beginner

Unfortunately still the same. I am running the latest driver version 21.80.2.1 and have disabled ac/ax and am using n only to get a stable connection.

I also spoke to the router manufacturer (AVM Fritzbox) and of course they blame Intel. unfortunately no way for me to find out on what side the issue resides. All other devices in my wifi however are stable.

0 Kudos
CCast45
Beginner

Hi there! Just piggybacking in this thread. I have the same  x570 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard, same CPU and a similar issue. My PC was able to connect to the WIFI a few hours ago but now the Intel Ax200 WIFI status says "not present". WIFI internet is still working fine with other devices except for this PC. Please help. thanks!

0 Kudos
iMatrix7
Beginner

Same problem here.
WiFi keeps disconnecting very often with the INTEL AX200.

Anyone found a fix for this? It's very annoying!!

0 Kudos
M3Rocket
Beginner

I managed to solve very similar disconnection problems with the Intel AX200 and Asus AX88U router with the latest driver updated via Device Properties to v21.110.2.1 (dated July 21, 2020) documented here: https://intel.ly/34tCXGL

0 Kudos
madrugao
Beginner
Well at least I am "glad" to read this and learn I am not alone dealing with the same issue.

I have a Gigabyte Aorus 5 laptop (mounting an Intel AX200) that disconnects my WiFi as soon as I launch a game. Funny thing is that it only happens when using a 5GHz band, while all works fine with 2.4GHz. The connection only restore when quitting the game.

I have tried with both latest drivers from Intel and Gigabyte, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I have tried virtually everything the only thing left (learnt from.
this thread) is setting the card not to use the ax protocol.
0 Kudos
Makayla
Beginner
Hello! Did you fix this problem? I have been having this same problem for months and haven't been able to fix it and I've tried everything. How did you switch it to not us the AX? Did you just go back to the previous driver?
0 Kudos
BENDAD75
Beginner

I bought a different Wifi adaptor and it works fine now.

0 Kudos
madrugao
Beginner
Changed the router (got as Asus) and solved, no drops whatsoever. It seems to me that the problem is with no-so-modern routers rather than with the adaptor.
Muddywaters
Beginner

Here is a solution that I've seen in a variety of other forums when the Driver update doesn't solve the problem.  In your router, setup a separate SSID for each 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  Or disable one of these bands.  I have not experienced the problem myself but as part of a research project I have been researching Wifi 6 issues and I have come across this solution several times.

BENDAD75
Beginner

I just completed a desktop build for my daughter and not only does it lose the internet, but the PC doesn't even recognize the adapter after a shutdown/sleep action is taken.  I have to unplug the adapter (while the pc is powered on) and plug it back in, then all of a sudden, the system can see it...  It will work fine until I shutdown the pc again, then I have to start over.  I have adjusted the power settings, the ax function to ac, and nothing is working.  I am about to start a build for my son, (I bought two of everything including this adapter), do I need to just give up and buy a different adapter?  I'm tired of messing with this one if I can't get any more assistance.

thanks, 

Frustrated Dad

0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

I am also having this same issue with an MSI MAG B550 Mortar WiFi motherboard with an AX200 adapter built in. It disconnects somewhat often out of nowhere, where I have to run the troubleshooter and have it restart the adapter to get it to reconnect. My router is a Synology RT2600ac. I just switched the properties for the adapter to ac mode, even though I don't have an ax router, to see if that does anything. Seems unlikely that it should. I'll report back if it seems to stabilize it. It's starting to get slightly annoying.

I do not have this problem with any other device, and there's many. Using the latest drivers that are available.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Yea, but I doubt these other devices support Wireless-AX. I definitely agree with configuring specifically for AC if you don't have a AX router. You might also need to look at the channel width.
...S
0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

Configuring to AC only mode did not fix it, which makes sense it's not going to connect using AX anyway so no reason to stop it from doing so. I also configured it to not turn it off to save power (it's a desktop...why would that be a good idea..). It still just disconnects randomly where it looks like the adapter just shut down. It has to be the adapter itself being in a state where it can't even reconnect because nothing fixes it outside of running the Windows troubleshooter so it can restart the adapter. Which fixes it every time.

0 Kudos