Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6 ax200 keeps disconnecting from my wifi

JVeli1
Novice

I recently got a new pc, and I set up everything, windows bios etc. Right from the start the wifi that was already installed in the motherbpard had troubles keeping connection with my wifi. It would happen very randomly at times and would also happen as I was downloading things. When I look at the wlan report, the most common disconnection was by the driver and the second was dissociation. The wifi's Im trying to connect to are 2.4 and 5

I have the gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard (BIOS F5) and the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x CPU, windows 10 (1903, os build 18362.329) and yes all my drivers are up to date including the intel wifi 6 ax200 drive (21.30.3.2)

At first I thought it was a windows problem so I have already changed power management, I have reset network and even re-installed windows and many other solutions and none have helped.

I have used other devices to connect to my wifi and there are no problems.

I have also used an usb wifi adapter and there were no issues with maintaining connection. I bought the motherboard specifically because it already had wifi built in, so I didn't have to use external adapters or wifi cards. So I really need this to work.

SO, I am left to think if there is a problem with the built in wifi? is it the driver as the wlan report says or is it the physical wifi in the motherboard?

31 Replies
0xDECAFFED
Beginner

I've been dealing with that issue for quite some time now and since the only reason to upgrade from W7 to W10 on my T430 was lack of support for AX200 (which I absolutely love, when it works), I decided to create a workaround.

It consists of a powershell script and job created in the task scheduler, so that it would run every 5 minutes. Ps1 file is attached to this message, just unpack it somewhere, set up task scheduler and remember to run it with highest privileges (without that it won't be able to restart the interface).

First 2 lines are variables - one for the hardware (here: AX200), second for the network connection name (here: Wi-Fi). Adjust those as needed.

By the way - shame on you, Intel, hardware may be fine but those drivers are pure garbage.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Now, now, let's don't go making assumptions. There is always the chance that the issue is in the firmware running on the card. Regardless, this solution should run and connect continuously without having to resort the workarounds like this. It should also run with any router without it being necessary to change the configuration. This part's the bigger mess and Intel should be ashamed of itself for having issues such as this after so many months of availability.

...S

0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

Installed the new 22.60.0.6 drivers yesterday and haven't noticed the adapter entering an unrecoverable state yet, probably too early to tell but I'll update if it recurs. It usually happens at least once a day.

0 Kudos
Dung_NQ
Beginner

I also update to version 22.60.0.6 and it's funny, my AX200 still refuses to show up,))

0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

26.60.0.6 Drivers do not fix this issue, the adapter just entered the unrecoverable state again.

0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

One thing to note,  not sure if this is a recent windows update or the intel driver update, it does seem like the adapter resets on it's own if you give it 10-20 seconds.  That definitely wasn't happening previously.

0 Kudos
odin
Beginner

FWIW I have not had any disconnections since using Win 11 beta channel and the latest drivers.

0 Kudos
Pilk
Beginner

Just thought i would take the time to create an account and jump in here as this is a pretty severe issue and had to find a proper fix for it. The problem is definitely the adapter or firmware issue of the wireless card, the system i used was moved to various different environments with different routing devices and access points and the problem existed throughout all of them (this is not a local network problem!) The problem can be overcome by running off the 2.4GHZ band as opposed to the 5.0GHZ band so configuring your network to run sperate bands so you can run off 2.4 will most likely solve your problems (this is not a solution this is a work around as there is no reason this adapter should be a problem with the 5.0GHZ band) 

I have tried going down driver versions and going up i have finally solved my issue by using the 22.90.0.5 intel specific driver from their website.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/684771/WiFi-22.90.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11.exe

Please note the new driver is still a problem just like previous versions so this workaround will be necessary even on the latest drive variant there is still a compatibly problem with 5.0 GHZ networks on the latest driver. What i did do is change the channel width of the 5GHZ band to 20MHZ this then fixed the problem. The problem comes up where, when ever you launch a program/any program it drops 1 or 2 packets then reconnects.

I do recommend just running off the 2.4GHZ band as the width change still has intermittent problems. Alternatively go into your adapter settings and change your preferred band method to 2.4GHZ if you have routers with merged/shared bands.

Intel you need to fix this, users shouldn't need to be running through such drastic work arounds. 

Hope this solution helps others as i can see some shifting of blame in this chat.

odin
Beginner

I know it doesn't help anyone, but the issue stopped happening for me. Not sure if it was upgrading to Win 11, one of the many microsoft windows update releases (I'm always on release preview) or one of the released driver versions since my last post. I'm pretty sure moving to Win 11 was when it ceased happening but I wasn't keeping a log of all my changes to see what fixed it I had just mentally moved on and noticed it wasn't a problem any longer at some point.

0 Kudos
0xDECAFFED
Beginner

Degrading 5GHz to 20MHz channels basically turns the 802.11ax card into subpar 802.11n. This is not a workaround, it's butchering.

Try the method I've described in this topic, it's not hard to implement and you won't have to kill 5GHz throughput for every device that uses this band.

Danyzn
Beginner

Thank you for this clear summary. I too found that using the 2.4 gHz band or using 802.11n instead of 802.11ax are both viable workarounds. Intel you need to acknowledge this bug, publicize the workarounds, and fix asap.

0 Kudos