Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 7260 Adapter reset issues

DStri
Beginner

I have suffering from Intel Wireless AC 7260 Adapter reset issues in a Gigabyte P35W v4 running Windows 10 Anniversary Update Edition with latest updates.

Wireless networking will disappear altogether randomly, I usually get a failure at least once a day.

The sequence of events is always the same in the system event log:

1. 2 x Event Source = NETwNb64, Event ID = 5007, (Description is not useful as the associated resource from the event log message is not correctly installed).

2. 1 x Event Source = NDIS, Event ID = 10400 (The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting).

3. 2 x Event Source = NETwNb64, Event ID = 5032, (Description is not useful as the associated resource from the event log message is not correctly installed).

4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 six times.

5. 1 x Event Source = WLAN-AutoConfig, Event ID = 4003 (WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter. Code: 1 0xC 0x4)

6. 1 x Event Source = WLAN-AutoConfig, Event ID = 4003 (WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter. Code: 2 0xDEADDEED 0xEEEC)

At the end of this all wireless networking is unrecoverable, the wireless adapter appears disabled and will not re-enable in Network Connections.

This problem started happening about two months ago. I would not know the exact Intel Proset Wireless version of software the problem may have initially occurred with.

Since then I have tried various Intel Proset Wireless Versions 18.32, 18.33, 18.40.4 and19.20.3 which all produce the same issue.

I have also tried it without Proset software using Windows 10 to auto update the driver which gives me the WLAN driver version 18.33.5.1 (the one that ships with Proset 19.20.3).

The most significant issue I am aware of is the enablement of IPv6 on my home network router which will have occured about 2 months ago (don't know the exact timing).

I wonder if IPv6 in Windows 10 with these drivers is causing some kind of problem.

I have not experimented with the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option yet. This is what I am moving on to for diagnosis.

Otherwise it will be get a replacement wireless USB adapter for the Laptop and disable the internal wireless adapter.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
DStri
Beginner

I have checked my AC7260 driver settings and have ensured that Throughput Booster was disabled.

I have therefore been experiencing problems with the Throughput Booster disabled, but on 5 GHz connections only. My 2.4 Ghz connection at home is OK.

0 Kudos
MDole1
Beginner

Try donwloading the application I mentioned, disable background scans, connect to your 5ghz network and let me know how it works.

If it works for you as well, we at least know another symptom.

0 Kudos
MDole1
Beginner

Disregard, this isn't a work around. Worse, its occurring on multiple networks too, so going /b/g/n only didnt help either. This is rendering my computer virtually useless.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please make sure you try the steps previously recommended in this thread, as they may help in some cases.

Additionally, it is advised to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, make sure your PC BIOS is up-to-date, and check for any hardware issues in the computer.

For further assistance, we would require the following system logs and details:

- Logs from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Retrieve one log when the system is working, and then another when the issue occurs.

- Windows System event log. Remember to clear the logs first, reproduce the issue, then save the Event log.

- Access Point router model and firmware version.

- Screen capture of the adapter's properties, in the General Tab at the time the issue happens. This is found in Device Manager.

- Was this the adapter that came built-in from factory with the PC?

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
MDole1
Beginner

I have a possible workaround (not fix!).

One thing I noticed is the problem seems to always come about after WLAN Autoconfig detects a lack of network. It seems to really only happen on my AC connection, but today I had the problem occur when I was using my phone as a hotspot, then walked out of range.

Something between Windows 10 and Intel AC7260 networking doesn't seem to like this scenario. It detects that there is no network connection, then fires off a request to restart the card. This is where the problem is kicking in, as the card never recovers from this request. (The actual bug).

As an interim fix, I have disabled the scan. Sadly you can't just disable WLAN Autoconfig, it does more than just scan for connectivity. You can however disable the scan process. I am using an application ( http://http//www.martin-majowski.de/ WLANOptimizer) and have it set to Disable the background scan. In the short term it seems to work around the problem... granted in a very crude manner. It's not a long term solution, but might be an effective bandaid for some of you while Intel/Microsoft hopefully fix the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Serapth,

In this case, we advise to perform a clean installation of the "driver only" using the current version, you can follow these steps to do so:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26527 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins, 19.30.0.

Windows 10 64-bit: Wireless_19.30.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

Windows 10 32-bit: Wireless_19.30.0_Driver32_Win10.zip

2. Extract the contents of the zip file to a known location in your hard drive.

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

5. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

7. Go to Device Manager and locate the 7260 (it may be an unknown device), select the option to install the driver and browse to the location where you extracted the driver files.

If the issue persists at this point, please provide the information requested in the previous post and we will be glad to review it.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We haven't seen any further replies. Feel free to contact us if you require additional assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

hello,

I have the same issue since the creators update (windows 10). I'll try your fix. Until know i've tried 19.30 drivers and previous ones starting with 18. But there's definitely something wrong. When i wake my pc up from sleep, internet is buggy, some pages still work, until it makes chrome crash, and i have the same error in device manager. After turning airplane mode on/off it works. Tbh the ac 7260 card is probably the worst card I ever bought, between speed issues, driver issues and now this...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_

We are continuously working to improve our products and the way they work in different environments. We will be glad to help you with this, please proceed with the clean driver installation, keep in mind that there are newer versions of the drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26657/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins [19.50.1]

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26653/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=75439 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.50.1]

Also, you may consider the following actions:

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Check with the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer and make sure you are using the current BIOS for your PC.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
Jrpentland78
Beginner

I know this is an old thread, hopefully someone will still read it.  I know the AC-7260 was EOL'd a while ago, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are still thousands (or more) machines running them.  Mine was experencing an issue where THE NEWER DRIVERS CRASHED THE CARD, like in a seconds long loop of connected, disconnected.  Running the useless Network Troubleshooter only told me that the problem was with my router - which based on the fact that my phone, watch, work laptop and tablet all remained actively connected to my home WiFi, when the only thing that wasn't, had an AC-7260 (AC should stand for ALL CRAP).  It's funny you're still servicing other things from this time period, just not the AC-7260 in particular....any reason?  Maybe some internal knowledge of how broken it was known to become, then suddenly become a burden.  It was great to constantly have this happen to me when I was trying to get resumes out for a new job after being laid off due to COVID....my workaround?  A driver from 2015, which I was using successfully until the other night when i suddenly lost internet.  I checked the other devices, which were all still connected, and upon going into device manager, the message said 'There are no drivers installed for this device', but when you go to the drivers tab there are....hmmmm.  Another fix I discovered somewhere while completely clean installing windows thinking that'll help, was to disable the IPV6 from the adapter properties.  I'm ordering a new card tonight, and the last thing it will be is something from Intel, hands down the **bleep**tiest product I've ever worked with and I've been in IT for the majority of my working life (and I'm 43, closer to the end than to the beginning now).  Again, I doubt this is going to be seen as it's such an old thread, but how a company can ignore such a faulty product, especially in the age of the internet when a simple google search returns pages and pages of unhappy customers, customers who list what they've tried, but are met with "tech support" basically giving them a task list to do and 99% of what is on that list is what they detailed as remedies they've already tried.  It's nice to know tech support can at least copy and paste from a script without having to really read the actual issue.

0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

It still doesn't work. When waking up from sleep the wifi card makes browsing unresponsive until chrome or whatever browser i'm using "crash". As soon as i turn airplane mode on/off it works again..

Latest drivers/windows 10 updates

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

We noticed you mentioned having purchased this card. If this is the case, please keep in mind that custom wireless integrations or upgrades are not supported. Beside the regulations possibly limiting this type of upgrades, if you install an adapter that is not approved by your computer manufacturer, hardware compatibility issues are very common and often aggrevated by operating system updates.

Please review the following advisories as they may shed some light on this issue and why it may be happening. While the second one won't apply directly to you, it does contain some interesting information on the type of issues that are common with unauthorized upgrade parts:

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Our recommendation is that whenever upgrading wireless adapters, you should work with your computer manufacturer to learn which adapters are preapproved, and if possible, purchase the replacement directly from them.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JSant25
Beginner

I'm now also experiencing the same problem. Sometimes right after boot, sometimes its ok for a day or 2. But lately its been less than 5 minutes and then I need to reboot the computer. the adapter becomes completely unresponsive. I've ordered a replacement adapter to try to determine if the problem is drivers or the physical adapter. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Studio XPS 1645

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wireman121,

Once you get your replacement, let us know if it resolves the issue.

Our best recommendation is to always try the latest drivers provided by your computer manufacturer first, and if the issues continue, test our latest generic version:

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005634.html Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Wi-Fi Drivers

To install these drivers we recommend following our clean installation method posted in our first reply to this thread. If not our "driver only" method was posted in page 2.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JSant25
Beginner

I received the replacement today. While enough time has not yet passed to confirm the problem is resolved, I can report that I am seeing a significant speed increase compared to the original card. Where I was seeing 50-60Mbps down and 30-40Mbps up, I'm now seeing 170Mbs+ down and 120Mbps+ up! I have a gb up/down connection. I will check back in 2-3 days to confirm the problem is resolved. If it is not, then I believe this may be related to a Windows update issue, as I did not upgrade any drivers since first installing this card over a year ago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wireman121,

That's good to hear. If the issue returns, or you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JSant25
Beginner

So far there have been no issues. Speeds have increased dramatically. Intel - Happy to send this old card in so you can look into what the issue is. My only request would be to let me know what you find. Please get in touch with me if you're interested. Since this doesn't seem to be an isolated case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wireman121,

We're glad to hear that your issue was resolved by a hardware replacement.

Since the 7260 adapters are no longer manufactured, we cannot accept your unit for testing. However, we do thank you for this offer.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos