Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel Wireless-N 7260 fails to connect WLAN and Bluetooth with Windows 8.1

MWell4
Novice

Hello Community!

I recently bought a Lenovo T440s with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 Wireless and Bluetooth chip.

The device is amazing, everything went fluently. I updated all the drivers, the BIOS, my software and uninstalled the waste, like cloud saving services, games and so on. Everthing was perfect until i updated to Windows 8.1.

Since this update, the Wireless-N 7260 won't work properly any more. The internet is not available directly from the OS startup, I have to wait several minutes. My Bluetooth mouse has abrupt failures for several minutes, works then again, but only for 10 minutes approx.

I also tried every driver and ProSET-version from forum threads I read from people with similar problems. The last try was the actual version 16.7.0, but also with that version it won't work.

I am pretty desperate right now, because the notebook itself is one hot ass piece, and I love to work with Windows 8.1 also.

Please Intel, tell me what to do, or even better, release a driver that works!

125 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Kladde,

The Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology version 17.1.1411.01 was recently released. Note: You may also check with the PC manufacturer to confirm if they have a customized version of the driver.

Please install the new version and check if the issue is solved.

SABLT194

There are many reasons for WiFi connectivity issues, please review the "http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034658.htm Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues".

Also, you may check with Lenovo for updated drivers, or use the ones from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3713 Intel® Download Center for Intel® Wireless-N 7260.

In previous posts for this forum, you can find other useful recommendations that have worked for users with similar issues.

0 Kudos
SBrou
Beginner

Thanks Jonathan. I did a driver update and it says my driver is current for Windows 7 64bit. My driver is 17.0.5.8.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
LHass
Beginner

SABLT194 wrote:

Thanks Jonathan. I did a driver update and it says my driver is current for Windows 7 64bit. My driver is 17.0.5.8.

If you used a Lenovo utility to check drivers it'll probably only show a Lenovo "certified" driver that have been through their testing. Dell is the same, their "certified" version is 17.0.5.8 and about 6 months old now.

Issues like this are so frustrating. The device manufacturer blames Intel, Intel says try the latest drivers or check for a new BIOS... Then both end up blaming your router and settings. Apple also has disastrous Wi-Fi issues with iOS 8, with no acknowledgement of an issue or formal support route.

Is there no way wireless drivers can capture more detailed debug info and pass it back to a manufacturer?

All the talent and billions of dollars at Intel and they can't make a wireless card as reliable as no-name Chinese cards.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

There are some newer driver versions for the Intel® Wireless-N 7260 that were released since 17.0.5.8.

You can get the Lenovo customized version of 17.13.2 fromhttp://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440p?c=1 Lenovo Download Center, or you can get the generic version for 17.14.0 fromhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3713 Intel Download Center.

If the issue persists with the new driver, try the following options as they have solved the connectivity issues for other users.

- Review the Quick checks in the document from my previous post.

- Make sure you are using the http://What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity/ Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

- Check your Windows Power Plan, and confirm that the adapter is set to "Maximum performance", on battery and plugged in.

- For testing purposes, try disabling the Bluetooth radio and check if you get a better WiFi connection.

0 Kudos
MGres
Beginner

Hello,

My router supports only 2,4 Ghz (i am on 20Mhz). Curently on channel 6, using 806.11 g/n. Authetication WPA2-AES.

I think I should give my point of view for this situation. I have tested all the drivers from 16.0.5.3 to 17.13.11.5 (Latest). First I tested those driver without changing settings with bluetooth (with latest driver). None of those driver worked. Tested with and without ProSet. Some had dropouts other low connection speeds (from 1Mbs to 54Mbs and even witzh 54Mbs slow download speed via speedtest.net). I have also tried all the settings I have found on this and other threads (u-ASPD, power saving, HT mode, different channels, turned all the windows power plants to MAX). Then I finally found out that some of drivers have drop-outs because BLUETOOTH connection is turned on. So I uninnstaled the driver for bluetooth and turned it OFF. So there was another round before me- testing all the drivers again with bluetooth off. So I found out that the most stabel connection (speed and drop outs are with driver 16.0.5.3 and 16.5.3.). Driver 16.0.5.3 gave good connection 72Mbs (good download and upload speed via speedtest.net), command proopt netsh said my connection is 54Mbs (on 806.11n, 96%). And with 16.5.3 I had the same connection speed 72Mbs and good speed via speedtest.net. On this driver netsh shows 144Mbs connection (80%). But this driver seems to have problem connecting after sleep. So I am currently on the first driver from 2013!!!! It is still the most stable one. And I can even stream videos with this driver.

Wwith all the drivers 17+ i have low connection speeds. With some drivers 17.1.+ i could have both connections ON (Bluetooth and Wifi) but the connection speed varies a lot and it is slow (from 1Mbs to 144Mbs). Slow results on speedtest and unable to stream videos via Wifi.

But if I turn on Bluetooth my Wifi connection drops and don`t want to connect anymore. As soon as I turn OFF Bluetooth I can connect again. I think that this is a serious driver problem that Intel should have solved already. I don`t know if I should send my computer to service since it is obvious that it is a driver problem. Can please somebody advise me what to do to heve both connections.

My system:

Lenovo Z710

Windows 8.1 (x64 and all updates)

Intel Wireless-N 7260 (installed by Lenovo)

The issue apears on every network I've connected to so far.

2-4 AP`s are broadcasting in my area

Please I need some help with this issue. It is driving me crazy

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Miha,

Thank you for all the details provided.

In order to avoid duplicate information, we have answered to your post in the following forum:

/message/277917?tstart=0# 277917 https://communities.intel.com/message/277917?tstart=0# 277917

0 Kudos
SBrou
Beginner

Ok I have the latest driver installed now. My intermittent disconnect problems seem to be solved. Connection is stable now. I was still having issues with auto reconnect from sleep mode. Believe it or not, my solution was to turn back on "Allow Computer to Turn this Device Off" in the Adaptor Power Management tab.

Go figure.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello SABLT194, we are glad to know your system is working better now. We hope other users will benefit from your experience.

0 Kudos
BEarg
Beginner

But if I turn on Bluetooth my Wifi connection drops and doesn't want to connect anymore. As soon as I turn OFF Bluetooth I can connect again. I think that this is a serious driver problem that Intel should have solved already. I don't know if I should send my computer to service since it is obvious that it is a driver problem. Can please somebody advise me what to do to have both connections.

Please I need some help with this issue. It is driving me crazy

Spend $7 or $10 for a good quality Bluetooth dongle, waste a USB port, and disable Bluetooth on the 7260.

If this is not just a real-life electronics puzzle and a stimulating EE challenge question with a Cracker Jack Prize and a bit of name recognition among one's peers for being the first person to solve it - if it really is causing anxiety issues and making you lose both sleep and quality time with your kids - then don't wait until you have a $35 order to get free shipping, and don't order it from Hong Kong; just get the USB BT adapter and pay da mon.

It's way mo bettah than buying a Qualcomm Killer 1202 later, anyway.

It's a whole lot cheaper than your co-pay on anti-anxiety meds with their notorious side effect.

0 Kudos
JNote
Beginner

Shocking. Still no solution. It's only been an ongoing problem with HT mode for over a year. Do you guys sit around and play canasta all day, before unrolling another useless driver update every month or so?

Fuck this company.

0 Kudos
APaun
Beginner

Add Sony Vaio Flip 15A to the list of laptops with these problems. Actually add all the laptops that are using Intel Wireless-N 7260 chips. How much more do we have to wait until Intel admits this is a common problem among these chips (maybe a hardware problem) and start offering a solution to this, like replacing the faulty chips. From my personal experience every single laptop that had this chip in it was having a problem connecting and keeping a good connection with the wireless router.

The only way I found to "fix" this problem is restarting the computer until it starts working again, which is a pain in the **

Laptop: Sony Vaio Flip 15A

Wireless Chip: Intel Wireless N-7260
SBrou
Beginner

OK add me to the list of frustrated customers. Just received my brand new Lenovo T440P with the "now infamous" N7260 wireless. I'm Running windows 7 with latest driver available for the N7260. Same basic experience as others. Wireless drops and reconnects intermittently. I have an older Thinkpad sitting right beside this one and ol' reliable is steady as a rock and always has been. That machine is running a Broadcom wireless adaptor. It's pretty surprising that this has been going on for over year, an they are still selling machines with this problem.

Sure hope one of you smart guys figures this out.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
DBizo
Beginner

Dear all,

Same problem here. I bought some days ago lenovo y50-70 which has Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC7260. Random annoying spikes with mean time that the event accours around 10 seconds. Lost 2 days only for this but still didnt fix it. I read all the replies on this post but clearly there is not answer and nothing help me. The following did not help:

- Switch off Bluetooth.

- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software ( I downloaded from lenovo the version 17.12.11.5).

- Change advanced settings for the dual band wireless ac7260 in device manager.

I didnt not tried to check with different wifi rooters. But even if its ok in another rooter doesnt fix the problem.I dont know what else to try. Anything to recommend?

I guess a choice is to return the laptop if i dont find a solution next days .

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dimitrios_B,

It seems that the issue in your system may be different from the one reported in this forum, to confirm this we would need additional description of the problem, errors and devices involved. If your system is disconnecting or failing to connect to the wireless network, please attempt the changes recommended for advanced adapter settings, uAPSD, Power plan configuration, router updates, and other applicable actions mentioned in this and other forums.

If the problem you are facing is Lag spikes during normal operation (confirmed with ping test), please review Post # 7 in the following thread:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53294 https://communities.intel.com/thread/53294

0 Kudos
DBizo
Beginner

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for your time to answer. Some info:

-Rooter model: CellPipe 7130 RG

-Security type: WPA2-personal

-Encryption type: AES

-Laptop with intel ac7260: Lenovo y50 70

Intel Dual band wireless ac7260 version: 17.13.11.5 (Downloaded by lenovo official site yesterday)

-System : Windows 8.1

--Comparing my two laptops in speedtest.net:

Laptop with intel ac7260:

ping:34, dl speed: 2.44 Mbps, upload speed: 0.39 Mbps

Laptop with another adapter:

ping:34, dl speed: 5.35 Mbps, upload speed: 0.38 Mbps

--Typing in command prompt : ping www.google.com -t

Laptop with intel ac7260:

sent = 53, received = 53

minimum =86ms, maximum = 119ms , average = 93ms

Some times when i type this command i get the following message: Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Pleas check the name and try again (This is happening only in the laptop with intel ac7260)

Laptop with another adapter:

sent = 49, receieved = 49

minimum =89ms, maximum = 143ms , average = 100ms

Some other info to mention:

-- I have tried multiple options proposed in this post for the advanced settings but not significant changes were observed. I also tried the same settings with my old laptop. No changes.

-- Deactivating bluetooth: slight differences when testing in speedtest.net

-- Really often the pages are 'half-loaded': some pictures loaded, some not.

-- The internet never disconnected or failed to connect. Never limited access. I have the laptop close to the rooter always in 5 bar signal. 6 meters distance from rooter: 4 bars.

-- The results above are with u-apsd disabled and 802.11n Channel for 2.4Ghz in 20 Mhz only. No difference in auto value.

-- Gennerally playing with advanced settings did not gave significant changes.

-- The pages almost always load quicker in the old laptop.

-- Gennerally really difficult/annoying to navigate in internet.

0 Kudos
DBizo
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

Is there someone from Intel to answer if i have any other possible solutions? I got 3 more hours til i give back the laptop as the 14 days from the day delivered to my house are finishing so i will not have the option to change the laptop later or get full refund. Thanks anyway

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dimitrios_B,

Here are a few important aspects to consider and actions to try:

- The router CellPipe® 7130 Residential Gateway is quite old and may not be able to communicate correctly with the newer Intel® Dual Band Wireless ac7260 in you computer. The router is only capable of 802.11b and 802.11/g operating in the 2.4 GHz band only, the wireless adapter is capable of b/g but also 802.11n and 802.11ac, in 2.4 and 5.2 GHz bands. If possible, try connecting to a 5.2 GHz router (or a newer 2.4 GHz router) and check if there are any issues that way.

It is advised to contact the router manufacturer and confirm that you are using the most recent firmware for it.

- It is possible that the AC7260 is receiving interference from other devices, besides disabling Bluetooth, it is advised to check for sources of interference, and set a specific channel in the router. For more information, check the document: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034658.htm Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues.

- Since the router is not capable of Wireless-N, the settings recommended in other forums for Wireless N and AC may not work well with it, please try using this settings in the Advanced menu of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, they may help in this specific case:

802.11n channel width for band 2.4: 20 MHz.

802.11n channel width for band 5.2: Auto (not in 20 MHz only)

Fat channel intolerant: Disabled

Roaming aggressiveness: Medium or less.

Throughput enhancement: Disabled

Transmit power: Highest

Wireless mode: 802.11b/g

Also, try the following to disable other 802.11n and 802.11ac features:

802.11n mode: Disabled

HT mode: Disabled

uAPSD: Disabled

In the wireless router, check the following options:

Auto channel scan: Enable

802.11 mode: Use 802.11g

Channel width: 20 MHz

bfloy
Beginner

Thank you so much, jonathan !

I have been pulling my hair out for months trying to get this card to work on its own.

The card worked being wired to the router or using my phone as a hotspot but not as wireless adapter.

Your suggestions have me up and running.

THANKS !!!!

0 Kudos
JBene1
Beginner

I have laptop Lenovo E540since January 2015. Win 7 Professional. Issues disconecting and slow wifi connection. Update thru https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility Intel Driver Update Utility and installing Update https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/72252/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software dated 4/15/2015 17.1.1501.01 Drive - IT WORKED OUT!!!!!!!!.

PAron2
Beginner

Installing Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software v 18.20 solved the problem for me! https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25513/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10

0 Kudos
sgiat
Beginner

hello I have an issue with my local network. I own an Asus N551JM laptop with Intel dual wireless-N7260 adapter preinstalled and I can't get it work properly with my Netis WF 2419. Connection keeps disconnecting and limited connectivity appears, I am totally desperate. I haven't had any problem to connect to other network so far. I am convinced that this is a configuration problem ,don't know if its adapter or router or both. I assure u that I have already installed the latest drivers of the adapter and the firmware on the Router. From what I found when i tried to find the solution by my self I realised that it is a common issue of that adapter, few people are suffer of that problem. One solution I tried is http://www.troublefixers.org/laptops/fix-intel-wireless-7260-ac-wifi-speed-issues-in-windows-10/679/ http://www.troublefixers.org/…/fix-intel-wireless-7260…/679/ with no success. Please some help guys.

0 Kudos