Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel ac 8265: miracast not working

AL2
Novice

I have an intel ac 8265 wireless adapter and latest drivers installed in my lenovo t470p In https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-brief.pdf technical specs miracast support is present. But I can't connect to my miracast TV (which works perfectly with other devices).

When I get the dxdiag's log it says: "Miracast: Not Supported by WiFi driver". I have the latest Intel driver installed (version 20.0.2.3). What drivers should I use to be able to use the miracast?

13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

We understand you're having issues sharing your display to your Miracast* TV using our latest wireless drivers.

Please keep in mind that we don't provide direct support for Miracast*, our recommendation is to work with your computer manufacturer for assistance with this problem.

In case you may try the latest system specific drivers provided by your computer manufacturer. The drivers provided through our download center are generic, meaning they don't take into account feature customizations made by your OEM. For Miracast*, it's also important to make sure that your graphic drivers are also up to date.

To switch to your OEM drivers, you may need to perform a clean installation of your wireless drivers:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

1. Download and save the latest drivers from your computer manufacturer:

1. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t470p/downloads Lenovo ThinkPad T470p* Drivers & Software

2. Make sure to select your operating system and download the latest applicable wireless driver under "Networking: Wireless LAN."

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireles-AC 8265 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked and press OK.

5. Install the drivers downloaded back in step one.

6. Reboot your system.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice

Thx. Tried your instruction. But it didn't solve my problem. Everything is just the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

This is unusual. The adapter and our drivers both support Miracast*. To confirm, I updated the drivers in one of the laptops in our lab using this same adapter:

Our best recommendation in this case will be to engage your computer manufacturer for full assistance with this problem. While our hardware supports the technology, Miracast* issues are not within our scope of support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice

Hello

This line tells about the miracast support by the system. I have the same line in my dxdiag.

Please take a look a bit forth.

In information about the adapter there is also a line about the miracast. In my case: "Miracast: Not Supported by WiFi driver". You can just search "miracast" in the file.

And also you can use the "netsh wlan show driver". The last line from the output will show whether the wireless display is supported. In my case it is: "Wireless Display Supported: No (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: No)"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

Yes, it should be supported. Is this the original adapter installed by your computer manufacturer, or an upgrade part?

Could you please share the DxDiag file, as well as the output from your netsh command with us?

To save the netsh output into a text file you can run it the following way:

netsh wlan show driver > c:\netsh.txt (you may change this location and file name as you will)

Also, please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Run this tool while connected to your wireless network, and select to scan everything. It will allow you to save the results into a report which you may upload manually along with the other files.

I've attached the reports from our test computer for comparison.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

Thank you for these files.

We can confirm that you're using the supported driver version. We were unable to identify any settings preventing you from enabling Miracast*.

In this case it's possible that your computer manufacturer may have disallowed Miracast* for your particular computer model or region (sometimes this is done for regulatory reasons). We do not have a way to confirm or override OEM configuration. Our best recommendation in this case will be to confirm with Lenovo* if your system is capable of display sharing through Miracast*, if so, they should be able to help you troubleshoot this problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Lenovo does not seem to be interested in solving my problem.

Googled a lot about the problem and found https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8a1060b2-2e79-49b4-bcca-76c15a639513/miracast-broke-after-connecting-to-domain?forum=w8itprogeneral this. My computer is in domain and this policy is configured as an XP policy. Seems to be my case.

I've asked my domain admins to change the policy. But it will take some time for them to figure it out.

I shall let you know whether it helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

Thanks for the update! We look forward to finding out if it helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice

I failed to wait for admins to update the policy. They are still examining the problem. So I just left the domain, but unfortunately had to reinstall the OS.

So now I'm not in domain, with clear OS and miracast working!!!

I guess the problem was in policy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

That makes sense. We're glad to hear that you were able to find the root of your problem, and work around it.

If there's anything else we can help you with, just let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
AL2
Novice

Admins have fixed the policy. I've joined the domain again and everything works!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lolyonok,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sure other users vising our Support Community will appreciate it as well.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos