Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
MMahe5
Beginner

Same issue Dell Inspiron 15z with 2230 card and Windows 8. I have iPads and laptop tops which can connect fine to the wireless router from two floors away. This machine is on top of the wireless and the signal is strong but it is unable to ping the router.

I rolled the driver back to 15.5.6.48 from the 15.8.x driver and its much better. Time will tell if it fixes it.

Mick

0 Kudos
RKorn1
Beginner

Had an issue on my HP laptop with Centrino 2230 on Windows 8 x64 . It constantly drops connection and it makes me sick. Laptop becomes useless, skype calls drop every minute pretty much! I updated wireless driver to the latest but it doesn't help. Different people share with Intel pain about its wireless card and problem still exist! I can't believe!

BTurn3
Beginner

Hey guys and gals. I was recently having this problem as well particularly when doing mock drafts on nfl.com and playing games on facebook.. I decided to roll back my driver and haven't had the problem since.. If this doesn't fix the issue for you the next step I would take is going directly to the computer manufactures website and using the driver they provide for you..

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

I have done this. I have tried the latest driver, as well as rolling back. The issue persists. There is something wrong with the drivers.

Alabrandon, what version of Windows are you using?

0 Kudos
EHuan27
Beginner

The solution is on the first page stated by bjbakker. I had the same problem but it's already fixed!!! You just have to keep uninstalling (not rolling back) the drivers and restarting your computer until it reaches version 14.8.8.75. I think this is the only solution now. God knows why Intel can't fix the problem.

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

That is the first thing I tried. When I made that first post on the last page, that is the driver I was on (14.8.8.75). I read the entire thread and tried all of the options. I still have the issue.

I know it is a driver issue as this doesn't occur at all on Ubuntu.

I am using a wifi dongle with my brand new laptop, which works fine.

The issue is not my home network reliability or speed, but rather this 2230 card.

0 Kudos
JAert1
Beginner

I have this same issue and rolling back the drivers does not fix this problem.

I really hope there is a solution fast, this is really annoying.

0 Kudos
CAcio
Beginner

Mr. Joe,

Any updates at the issue?

With the new driver you decreased the problem.

thks a lot

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Intel is currently working on a solution for the connection drop issues. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

0 Kudos
LWell1
Beginner

I had to buy a USB adapter to get round this problem. My laptop would drop out on the latest drivers every 10 minutes or less. It's had this issue since I bought it in December. Any chance of Intel paying for my USB adapter?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This update is planned to be available before the end of Q3.

0 Kudos
jmcc
Beginner

So I am guessing this update will be for Windows 8.1, since at the end of September this is what operating system everyone with Windows 8 will have? I have been having dropped signal constantly ever since I got my brand new notebook, and when I considered getting the new 7260 to replace this 2230 on Newegg I saw that there are not any drivers for Windows 8, even though this model was made specifically for the Haswell and is the most recent adapter Intel offers. Are we going to have to wait another year to have reliable internet connectivity if we upgrade to Windows 8.1 at the end of Q3 since the update for the soon to be obsolete Windows 8 will just be coming out by then?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

hpenvy15tj000haswell wrote:

So I am guessing this update will be for Windows 8.1, since at the end of September this is what operating system everyone with Windows 8 will have? I have been having dropped signal constantly ever since I got my brand new notebook, and when I considered getting the new 7260 to replace this 2230 on Newegg I saw that there are not any drivers for Windows 8, even though this model was made specifically for the Haswell and is the most recent adapter Intel offers. Are we going to have to wait another year to have reliable internet connectivity if we upgrade to Windows 8.1 at the end of Q3 since the update for the soon to be obsolete Windows 8 will just be coming out by then?

Luckily, Intel have excellent drivers for the 7260 series when they released their official 16.1.3 drivers on Intel Download Center. You don't have to wait another year to have reliable internet connectivity once you moved to the 7260 series since they're excellent to begin with. Maybe you purchased the 7260 sometime in June so that's why there were no drivers back then. I saw on a website that when Windows 8.1 comes, Intel will release 16.5 drivers for the 7260 series. I have my laptop running for more than 14 hours already and the Wi-Fi connection never dropped and is still super stable on 2.4 GHz band.

0 Kudos
ATkac2
Beginner

I think I have to say it. This problem with centrino n 2230 observed on my HP laptop with Windows 8 (and pre-8.1). But in Ubuntu Linux 13.04 is NO such problem.

Sorry for my bad english.

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

I think you have made a mistake. This thread is not about the 7260 series wireless adapter. It is about the Centrino-N 2230.

0 Kudos
jmcc
Beginner

Joe Intel made it clear that an update for the Centrino-N 2230 would not be available until the end of Q3. My message was to find a resolution/compatible replacement. As many other people on this forum also have the new Envy notebooks with the 2230 installed this was relevant and valuable information as to how to solve the problem of the Centrino-N 2230, which is what this forum is about. Ordered my 7260 yesterday.

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

I would shy away from purchasing more Intel products until they can demonstrate a level of competency in supporting existsing devices. The fact that the drivers are all screwed up for the 2230 is beyond me, Intel is a massive corporation with at least 90,000 employees, yet at this moment a solution to this rather vexing issue has not been found.

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

Since I was having the problem with windows 8, I decided to switch back to windows 7. The issue persists, but occurs much less frequently.

The laptop can actually be used to surf the web somewhat reliably now, but gaming still results in frequent (every 10 min or less) connection dropouts. this does not happen on any of the other wireless computers in my home. I hope this helps somehow.

0 Kudos
JLuke
Beginner

I've got new Fujitsu AH532 with C-2230 since January. Since the day one the reception is unbelievably weak, I could have half bars when standing behind the wooden (or rather paper) wall 10cm thick. Connections may be working for some time, but than suddenly it drops. I always update driver to the latest one, but it never helps. I had the laptop open and checked the connections, both antennas are connected (tried to take it out and than in and they definitely are connected, without the connection I got no reception at all).

I really hope this can be fixed soon with new promised drivers, it really is annoying to have USB stick hanging from the machine at all times.

0 Kudos
SMhet
Beginner

Bought a new Dell Vostro 5460 yesterday. Facing the same problem! Tried most of the things mentioned here but problem still persists.

Intel, please fix this issue. A nice laptop with frequently interrupting connection accounts to be useless.

Hope to see the solution soon.

0 Kudos
jcunn4
Beginner

Hi - new here... I have (had?) the same problem with the 2230 on my hp Ultrabook but I got a push update from hp today for the driver from 15.8.0.5 to 15.10.0.11

Time will tell if it improves things - I'll keep you informed.

Jez

0 Kudos