Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7469 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
SIvan10
Beginner

After months of problems with limited WiFi and general connectivity problems on Windows 8.1 I finally managed to get it to work properly.

In advanced TCP/IP settings under IPv4 protocol settings I put Gateway and Interface metric to 1 instead of Automatic. Now PC connects to network a little bit slower than usual, but it works. I tried everything I've found on forums with no luck and finally figured this out, pretty much accidentally, but it worked for me. I have Centrino N-2230 on Lenovo 530c

0 Kudos
BDavi7
Beginner

If you are running Windows 8.1, which has built in Bluetooth support then you may be able to fix the issue by following;

1. Open device manager

2. Locate your Intel Wireless card

3. Uninstall it from the system, make sure to check the box that indicates removing the driver also.

Reboot

Do this multiple times until your are rolled back to a Microsoft driver. My system is stable with the first (newest) MS driver I got to, with Bluetooth working as intended, and with the fn + wireless button / light still working correctly on my keyboard (dv6t-7200 quad edition).

More than likely the MS driver does not support whatever "feature" is causing the problem. I replaced my router (WNR3500L v1 to WNR3500L v2) thinking it was causing an issue, changed firmware (from Tomato to DD-WRT), and I was about to replace my WLAN card (which I still might do anyway).

When purchasing the laptop I wanted Bluetooth so I went with the Intel card (their desktop NIC cards are good), however with the current state of the drivers Bluetooth does in fact work but Wi-Fi sure doesn't.

0 Kudos
JBaer1
Beginner

So, for anyone still having these problems, who have had no software solutions work so far, as was the case with me, I have a hardware solution to try, which will cost nothing, and not require any hardware replacements.

HERE ARE THE STEPS THAT FIXED IT FOR ME

1. Shut down your computer, pull battery, and open up the computer.
  2. Find your wireless card.
  3. Switch where the antennas are plugged in. As in, move the white antenna to where the black one is, and the black one to where the white one is.
  4. Put your computer back together, put battery back in, and turn it back on.
  5. Watch your wireless signal pup in immediately with great strength and connection speed.

If you think I am kidding, or that I haven't tested, I encourage you to try it yourself before you judge. I own a Lenovo y510P, which has had this problem for a year, since November of 2013. I remember looking at this thread not long after I got it for these very issues. Since August 2013, I have been working in a computer repair store, and have seen multiple computers come through with the same issue, for which no software solutions would fix it.

For thanksgiving week, I have gone to visit my significant other, and since arriving 27 hours ago, could not get my laptop to connect for more than 5 or so minutes at a time, and have even had multiple hours where it refused to connect at all. I tried enabling/disabling wireless-n. I tried changing the channel frequency. I even tried uninstalling the intel management engine, updating drivers, reverting to mircrosoft drivers, you name it. I got fed up and decided to try the above steps, on the off chance there had been some huge mixup. I switched the wires, turned on my computer, and instantly had a 5 bar signal, when, previously, I could rarely get 4 bars, and even then, it would not last more than a few seconds usually. I am now typing this message from said laptop, from a part of the house that gets horrendous signal strength for most computers, and I have had no issue (besides registering on intel's site, but that seems like a server issue) for over 30 minutes, including that I have not seen the strength drop below 5 bars for even a second.

Anyways, hopefully this will help a few people out there, and please, when attempting this, be safe! Make sure there are no liquids nearby and that you won't give your computer a static shock while working on it!

0 Kudos
GModa
Beginner

Up.

My Asus N76VZ with Intel Centrino N-2230 has got the same problem.

Drivers are the latest (17.1.0) and i am using Windows 7 64 bit.

I try to change all value in advanced settings, but no result. My wifi still drop connection and goes in "limited connection" (small yellow triangle in the wi-fi bar, don't know the exaclty name in English). I have to disconnect and reboot the pc all the time.

Now i am trying to install the driver from Asus server...let's see.

I hope someone can fix the problem...of course this is a driver problem. Regards.

EDIT: Installed drivers Asus...still crash.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Apparently, your wireless adapter is not disconnecting from your router; you can try pinging your default gateway and you will probably see no drops.

The limited connectivity may have different causes:

• Check if you are getting a valid IP address in CMD with the "ipconfig" command. Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager and restart; there is no need to delete the software. This will delete your wireless profile and restore any settings related to the wireless adapter back to default.
  • Restart all network devices starting with the modem, router, and then the computer. This cause is discarded if other computers connect properly. Otherwise, test your connection with a different router or hotspot network.
  • Firewall or security software may interfere with the connection; try disabling it for a moment for testing purposes.
  • Check the security encryption settings in both the computer wireless profile and the router. Additional security settings on the router may limit the connection or block internet access to specific sites.
  • Verify if you need to use specific IP and DNS settings in this system.
  • You may want to consider upgrading for your router's firmware for compatibility issues.