Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel wireless cards send Unspecified reason Deauth packets

Gnk_k
Novice

Hi all,

I'm facing some issue about intel wireless cards. The laptops with intel wireless card send Deauth packet with Unspecified reason.

This is very frustrating for me because I need the correct Deauth and Disassoc packet to troubleshoot my devices when a disconnection occours.

The very strange thing is that also if I turn off the WiFi, the reason of Deauth is Unspecified.

To better understand I tried this scenarios, using an Asus router ax88u, but it happens also with other router I tried.

Scenario 1:
- connect the laptop to the router
- turn off the wifi

Behaviour:
The laptop sends an unspecified reason Deauth packet.

---------

Scenario 2:
- try to do traffic, for example looking a youtube video

Behaviour:
I get a lot of Unspecified reason Deauth and several times I lose the connection to the router.

When the laptop disconnects from the router, I can't understand why but the packet is sent from the laptop.

Notes
I tried several model:
ax201
ac9560
and so on

I tried several drivers:

I tried different laptops with an intel wireless card but it sames have the same behaviour.

Could you help me to understand?

In attachment the ASUS router logs and the airtraces.

Device details:
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz"
Access Point:"0c:9d:92:01:70:94"
Authentication:
Availability:"Running or Full Power"
- "Caption":"Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz"
Link:"http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Wi+Fi+6+AX201+160MHz"
Channel:
Cipher:
CoInstallers:"Not Available"
Connection Mode:
Default IP Gateway:"192.168.50.1"
DHCP Enabled:"Yes"
DHCP Lease Expires:"12/21/2021 02:51"
DHCP Lease Obtained:"12/20/2021 02:51"
DHCP Server:"192.168.50.1"
Driver:"Netwtw10.sys"
Driver Date:"05/27/2021 12:00"
Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Netwtw10.sys"
Driver Provider:"Intel"
Driver Version:"22.60.0.6"
Index:"0009"
INF:"oem112.inf"

Thank you very much for the help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello Gnk_k,    

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

3. Can you take some pictures/videos where we can see the issue?

4. Is this issue recent? If so, when did it start?

5. Have you checked with the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm if they place a restriction or limitation on their unit?  

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

Hi Deivid A.,

thank you for answering me.

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

Yes it is the original adapter. No modification were done.

3. Can you take some pictures/videos where we can see the issue?

What does it mean?

4. Is this issue recent? If so, when did it start?
He started on August/September 2021

5. Have you checked with the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm if they place a restriction or limitation on their unit?  

No, I haven't. I should contact all the manufacters are using intel wireless card. For sure I reproduced the same behaviour on different brand laptop, as I said before.

In attachement what requested.

Thank you a lot. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Gnk_k, 

To continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Check for BIOS update for your Dell Latitude 7420.

2. Update your Windows version and build (not to Windows 11).

3. Is the driver version "22.60.0.6" from DELL working fine with your device or does it present the same behavior?

If the issue persists after you performed the previous steps, please provide the following:

1. steps to replicate this issue (tools used, videos used, websites visit, etc).

2. A picture or video where we can see the "unspecified reason Deauth packet".

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

Hi Deivid,

yes I have tried all things you suggested.

As written in my first post the scenarios are these:

Scenario 1:
- turn off the wifi

Behaviour:
The laptop sends an unspecified reason Deauth packet.

---------

Scenario 2:
- try to do traffic, for example looking a youtube video

Behaviour:
I get a lot of Unspecified reason Deauth and several times I lose the connection to the router.

When the laptop disconnects from the router, I can't understand why but the packet is sent from the laptop.

And in attachment "Scenario1and2.zip", in my first post there are the airpcap traces, I think that better than aircap is very hard to take.

Thanks,

Genny

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Gnk_k, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Gnk_k, 

Thanks for the information provided so far. Based on the research, this issue seems to be related to the operating system since it affected several models and different driver versions.

At this point, I recommend you to check with DELL to review the computer for any malfunction.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Gnk_k
Novice

Hi Deivid,

honestly I am not happy about your suggestion. How I said I am able to reproduce the issue for every laptop with an intel wireless card indipendently form the brand. I reproduced it on asus and dell both.

Dell laptop with realtek wireless cards don't have this issue.

Have you tried to reproduce the issue in your lab? Because for sure I can't contact all the brand laptop customer care and say that there is a problem with their laptops but only for the laptops with an intel wireless card. I don't think is the correct way to follow also because the Deauth is sended by the laptop even if I disconnect manually the wireless card that is a strange thing.

I expect a reson code leaving or sta left when I disconnect the wireless card and not unspecified.

Thanks.

0 Kudos