Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Laptop not showing other available networks after 1.5 minutes.

CCice
Beginner

I got a very annoying problem, first here's my laptop Info (see attachments for more details):

Product number : W2M88UA

Product name : HP Notebook - 15-ba079dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

Microprocessor : AMD Quad-Core A10-9600P (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 2 MB cache)

Operating System: Windows Pro x64 Edition (10.0.15063)

Wi-Fi : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Driver Ver: 19.71.0.4

When I first Start or Restart (Windows 10) my laptop I can see a lot of available networks when I click on the Wi-Fi Icon. But after a minute to 1.5 minutes, when I click on the Wi-Fi icon I can only see my own networks (see below). This issue started after June's Windows Update. Tried re-installing driver and even went back 4 versions back.

I hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

We understand that your system used to always display all available networks within range. However, after a recent Windows* update it now will do so for a short period after boot, then it only displays your current and saved networks.

In order to better assist you, we would like to take a better look at your current system configuration and settings. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, this tool will scan your system and allow you to save the results into a report. To enable attachments you will need to use the "advanced editor" (top right) while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

Hi Carlos A.,

Thanks for responding. Attached is the System Support Utility Report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Thank you for this report.

We noticed that you seem to be using an unreleased beta driver version. Our recommendation is to always choose the latest driver provided by your computer manufacturer. If there is issues with their driver, you may try our latest generic version instead, although it won't account for features and customizations included by your system manufacturer.

- https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-15-ba000-notebook-pc-series-touch/10862319/model/11528132/swItemId/ob-180538-1 Latest Intel® Wireless LAN Drivers for HP Notebook 15-ba079dx*

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version: 19.70.0

This aside, your settings, connection rate, and signal strenght look ok. Please try adjusting your advanced power plan settings and let us know if this makes a difference:

1. Press the Windows* Key + R combination to open the Run dialog.

2. Type control powercfg.cpl,,1 then press OK' to access the advanced settings for your Power Options

3. For your current plan, or each of the plans that you frequently use: Expand the "Wireless Adapter Settings" > "Power Saving Mode" > and set both On battery and Plugged in to Maximum Performance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

Did all of your three suggestions, no help, same situation. Anything else?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Aside from being unable to discover as many networks as before this Windows* update, have you noticed any aditional range issues?

For testing purposes, we can recommend trying a much older version to see if a different driver has any bearing on the issue. For this we can recommend using the clean driver installation method:

1. First, download and save the driver you intend to install. In this case we can try with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25833 PROSet/Wireless Software version 19.40.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, uncheck everything else and press OK.

5. Install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software that was downloaded back in step one.

6. Reboot your computer, and test your system.

If the older driver helps, please provide a new SSU report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

Did all of your suggestions, no help, same situation. Anything else?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Are you also having wireless range issues with your known networks, or is the issue isolated to network discovery starting 0:01:30 after boot?

Since the different drivers don't seem to make a difference, this may be an entirely OS-sided issue. Please bear with us while we check with our additional resources on this matter.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Could you please confim that your WLAN Config service is running and set to automatic startup?

1. Windows* Key + R to open run dialog (you can also right click your Start Menu and select Run from the Administrative Menu). Type services.msc and press OK.

2. Scroll down and locate the WLAN AutoConfig service. Right click and open properties.

3. In the General tab, startup type should be set to "Automatic," and the service status should indicate it's running. If the status says stopped, click on start before selecting OK.

4. Close the Services console, check your available wireless networks.

Other users have posted this issue and their solution of resetting the TCP/IP suite:

- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-show-available-networks-does-not-list/7c8ec6bf-f870-4b78-9d4f-6a081cbe7f69?auth=1 Q:"WiFi- Show Available Networks" does not list wireless routers anymore - Microsoft* Support Community.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

1. WLAN AutoConfig service is always been set to automatic.

2. Did Reset IP, restart, no go.

3. Did Reconfigure IP, restart, no go.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

In order to continue investigating we would like to know the following:

1. If you toggle your WiFi off and back on, are you able to see all available networks again (even if it's temporarily)?

2. Windows® 10 has a delay showing available networks while already connected to another. Are those networks showing after a minute refreshing or do they never show up again?

3. If you disconnect from your wireless network, are you able to see all available networks again?

4. The networks still showing after a minute and a half: TG1672G92-5G, NETGEAR82, TG1672G92. Are these all networks that you've connected to before?

5. Please share your WLAN Report: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/47080-create-wlan-report-windows-10-a.html How to Create a WLAN Report in Windows® 10 - by tenforums.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

1. No.

2. Never show up.

3. No.

4. Yes, they are my local networks.

5. see attached.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Thank you for replying.

We'll let you know if we need anything else or once we have new troubleshooting for you.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

1. Was the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 installed by HP* or an upgrade part?

2. Could you please perform the following test: Once the other networks have disappeared, delete all saved networks. If no longer saved, are you still able to discover the available networks, or at least your own?

- https://kb.netgear.com/29889/How-to-delete-a-wireless-network-profile-in-Windows-10 How to delete a wireless network profile in Windows® 10

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

1. It's an upgrade. I installed it myself. It was working fine ever since the June's/July's Windows 10 Update.

2. Deleted / Forget all manage network. It still only shows all four of my manage networks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

Please bear in mind that custom wireless upgrades are not applicable for support.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

We'll be more than glad to continue providing suggestions. However, we cannot guarantee a solution.

Since you've already tested a beta driver, our latest generic, and the latest OEM specific versions, it's unlikely this is a driver issue. However, you could also uninstall your driver from device manager and allow Windows* to install their inbox driver. Aside from this, there is a new PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers package set to be released sometime next week that may help.

Would it also be possible for you to open up your computer and make sure the wireless antennas are still properly connected to your adapter?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

1. Uninstall the driver from device manager and restarted my laptop. Windows installed Intel v19.1.0.4 7/14/2016. Still no go.

2. Updated the driver from device manager and selected "Search automatically for updated driver software". This time Windows installed Intel v19.71.0.4 6/25/2017. Still no go.

As I mentioned that this issue started on June's / July's Windows 10 Updates. and you also reaffirmed this on your first response. This is a Windows 10 problem.

Thanks a lot for all suggestions. Let me know if there's any other suggestion/s that you can come up with.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

We're running some test to try and reproduce your issue. If we find any troubleshooting that may help, we'll let you know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ceevees,

While this may not help, it's certainly worth a shot.

The https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27203 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers version 20.0 has been released. This package includes driver version 20.0.2.3 for your adapter.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CCice
Beginner

1. No.

2. Never show up.

3. No.

4. Yes, they are my local networks.

5. see attached.

0 Kudos
CCice