Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Laptops keeps roaming when signal strength is 90%

JDvor3
Novice

Hello,

we have a some problems with wifi roaming. Wifi adapter roaming no matter if signal strength is excellent or not. Roaming agresivity setting have no influence on this behavior.

Do you have any experience with this behavior or any suggestions what could be root cause of this issue? Am I able to find some detailed logs in Windows, which can describe why network adapter roam to different AP?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

Thank you for contacting our community forums.

In order to assist you, please go ahead and uninstall all the current drivers (even if you already have the latest ones) and install them again by following the instructions on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Here is the link for the latest drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27989/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t

As well you may want to try our Recommend advanced settings available at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

We recommend you to lower the Roaming Aggressiveness to lowest or low-medium and then monitor the results.

As well, please access your router and make sure that you do not have any QoS (quality of service) active on it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JDvor3
Novice

Hello Diego,

I tried install drivers from laptop vendor (HP) and newest Intel drivers as well, without any change of described behavior.

Also, I didn't found any advanced settings which had any influence on it (it was still same when Roaming Aggressiveness was set to highest or lowest).

The most strange thing is that this problem is not persistent. This is a reason why I want to find reason why network adapter started roaming - is there any log where I can see something like "Low signal, adapter started to roaming to different AP"?

Just to be clear - I need to tell if problem is caused by client or by network itself (for example by some interference for a short time).

Thank you for your help,

Jan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

Thank you for your response.

I totally understand, let us investigate further; I'll reach you back as soon as we have news.

In addition, let us know, does this happen into any other networks outside the one that you are currently working?

Is any other machine experiencing this same issue ?

Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

Thank you for your patience.

In addition, we would like to know:

Are you on a home or enterprise environment?

Did you try uninstalling the network adapter and rebooting the system?

Have you installed any recent software or patch on your system?

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JDvor3
Novice

Hello Diego,

this issue is related to our enterprise environment.

Since we tried almost everything on endpoint devices and we are solving it with MS, HP and Cisco, Intel is a vendor of network adapter so I bet you could have a best options how to get some information from it.

How I already wrote - is there any possibility that I can see a reason why network adapter was disconnected from AP and doing a reconnect? Cisco saying that connection reset is from client site but we cannot find a reason why? Signal strength is ok and problem is related only to Windows devices only. It looks like client is reconnecting fifteen times per twenty minutes (even on the same AP) and then connection holds for an hour and so on.

I need to know what is the reason of that reconnects (since we have a complex environment, any logs or monitoring tools, which we can use, will be very appreciated).

Jan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

The information provided was extremely helpful.

We are currently performing further investigation regarding you issue, we will reach you back as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

Thank you for your patience.

Please help us collecting the following:

-OS- System event log (clear previous log before reproducing issue), complete log without filter.

-OS- WLAN Auto-Config log (clear previous log before reproducing issue), complete log without filter.

-Intel- WiFiTool log (roaming only)

-WLAN controller log (Roaming issue only or Enterprise authentication issue), you may need to consult your controller vendor (for e.g. Cisco) on how to get this.

-time stamp of when the issue is reproduced.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JDvor3
Novice

Hello Diego,

we already found resolutions of our problems. Roaming behavior is still a mystery. If you can share with me any details how it's works... It's only about signal strength or there are another things which matters?

Thank you for your help,

Jan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

We'll investigate further into this; I'll post you back as soon as we have more information.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

In this case, roaming should be only used on enterprise environments, most issues with that would depend on the infrastructure and not on the actual hardware.

Please check the link below:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/117205 https://communities.intel.com/thread/117205

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dvorskycz,

We just wanted to double check if you need further assistance?

Please don't hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JDvor3
Novice

Hi Diego,

Thank you for your help! Our issue was resolved.

Best Regards,

Jan

0 Kudos