Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Lenovo Yoga 720 with Dual Band AC8265

CCheu5
Beginner

Hello,

I bought this laptop a few months ago and have noticed very slow wifi connections.

My friend's laptop would get 90 mbps while my laptop would go for 20 mbps..... sometimes even slower..

i have searched this forum and tried many things, such as power options, still doesn't help me at all.

I am very frustrated with this problem, please help me !

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ChrixBIRD,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are experiencing performance issues with the network adapter.

Regarding this, I will need more information of your system, please provide me with the Intel ® System Support Utility report. This report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CCheu5
Beginner

Please see attached. Hopefully this is the right file.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChrixBIRD,

Thank you for your response.

There is an updated driver for your wireless adapter, however, I want to try to do a clean installation of the driver to make sure there is no problem. Please refer to the steps below:

1 - Download and save the following driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28143/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=94150 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28143/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=94150

2 - Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. You may skip this step if you don't see Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software under Programs and Features.

- Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.

- Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.

- When prompted, choose to discard settings.

3 - Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.

- Go to Device Manager.

- Expand the Network Adapters category.

- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

4 - Clear out your temporary files.

- Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.

- Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.

- Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.

- Press OK and wait.

5 - Restart your computer.

6 - Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. We recommend installing your Bluetooth® drivers first (if applicable), followed by the Wi-Fi package.

Once this has been done, I would recommend you to test and see if the performance has improved or not.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
CCheu5
Beginner

It didn't work, this is the second scan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChrixBIRD,

I need you to tell me more specifically what didn't work. Did you get an error during the driver installation? Was the installation successful yet you are still experiencing the issue? I need more information please since I am not aware of what the problem was.

Also, we are currently reviewing this issue because if you did finish the driver update, it seems like it did not go through appropriately since it is still showing the 20.70 instead of the 20.80; however, please let me know the information requested above.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
CCheu5
Beginner

Hello, no errors came up while installing the driver.

I did notice the driver version is the same.

I am still experiencing the slow connection, very slow in fact.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChrixBIRD,

If the connection keeps on being slow, what we can try to do is to uninstall the current drivers and install the latest ones validated by your system manufacturer. You can refer to the link below in order to see the different available drivers provided by your manufacturer:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-13ikb-type-81c3/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-13ikb-type-81c3/downloads

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

You must download the one under "Networking: Wireless LAN", but before installing, I would recommend you to do a clean installation, in other words, follow the steps below while disconnected from the internet ( Make sure to download the driver from the link provided first):

1 - Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.

- Go to Device Manager.

- Expand the Network Adapters category.

- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device

Once those steps have been followed, you can proceed with the installation using the file downloaded from your manufacturer's website. Follow the steps on the screen to proceed with the installation and once completed, reboot your computer.

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
CCheu5
Beginner

Hello,

I uninstalled the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software under Programs and Features.

Then uninstalled the driver, and went ahead to install the driver downloaded from Lenovo.

Restarted the laptop without problems.

Internet connection was fast in the beginning at 30 ish mbps (my phone runs 60), then it dropped down to below 10 mbps.

Then it wouldn't even connect to the internet again....

Please see scan file # 3 after all the installations as said above

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ChrixBIRD,

In this case, we have also tried the driver provided by the manufacturer to no avail. With this in mind, this problem could be related to a hardware problem. It is recommended to contact Lenovo* for further assistance with this and so that they can diagnose your computer to see if a replacement for the wireless adapted is needed.

However, something that can be taken into consideration is to check the network adapter settings, you can do so by following the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Make sure to look through the settings and adjust any setting if needed to see if the performance improves. If none help, make sure to contact Lenovo* for further assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos