Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Link is flapping when under load if Bluetooth is running.

pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi gents,

just updated my driver to latest one - 18.33.9.3

win 7 x64

the problem:

link is flapping when under load if bluetooth is running

my wifi card is able to drop and establish connection every 30 secs - unusable !

turning bluetooth off is a workaround here, but hey .. Intel ! I am disappointed ...

I will either downgrade or turn BT off or any other ideas to try ?

other devices at home are completely OK ...

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Phoenixx,

Is this adapter the one installed by the manufacturer? Could you please inform the make and model of your system?

Have you tried the solution found here: /message/491240# 491240 noted previously by NoNewbie. We are going to branch your question as it involves Bluetooth* and this discussion is about the VHT which is related to 5.0GHz connectivity.

Bluetooth* and wireless share the same antennas and the same frequency 2.4GHz, that means that Bluetooth* connectivity can cause interference with the wireless one. Try to change the channel to one that is less crowded. The alternative is to use the 5.0GHz band to avoid interference caused when Bluetooth is active.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Aleki,

yes, it is installed by manufacturer - HP EliteBook 820 G2. I will try to downgrade the driver back to either my old version of Intel driver or MS provided one ...

PS: using 2,4 GHz router only ... not sure if it's applicable also for this setup ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Phoenixx,

Since this adapter is an Original Equipment Manufacturer also known as OEM, the best recommendation is to use the drives recommended by it and in your case it is an HP's. For your convenience, here is the link to the OEM drivers:https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-820-g2-notebook-pc/7343192 HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Additionally, please take a look at information on this article: https://www.ecnmag.com/article/2012/03/wi-fi-and-bluetooth-coexistence BLUETOOTH AND WI-FI COEXISTENCE

*Please note that this link is being offered for you convenience only and therefore, must not be viewed as endorsed by Intel Corporation as we have no participation in any of the content and services offered there.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

let me try to fiddle a bit with my router settings, I think I turned this feature off in my router setup, I'll post the results ...

this is the first time I am experiencing problems with turned wifi & BT on - usually I am not using both type of connectivity at once, but u never know

thanks for advice !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Phoenixx,

You are welcome. We are here should you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

even Bluetooth coexistence feature turned on in my router config did not solve the issue ... I would go for downgrade then but I am a bit disappointed ... never expected that from Intel ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Phoenixx,

Usually the Bluetooth* to turn off, if not necessary, is the one on your computer.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

hi Aleki,

better I am working with possibility of having both kind of connectors turned ON ... as in the past, there were no issue with that ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

We would like to confirm some information and verify your settings.

1. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network.

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Please let us know if the issue has been resolved.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I am sorry for this, but as the affected notebook is a company device, it's not easy to obtain admin rights to either change the driver or run the tool suggested previously.

I'll try to speed this up & post the results asap ...

thanks ...

0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

hi gents,

today I updated the driver to latest one - from Nov 20th, the behavior is slightly different.

Link is not flapping that much - only few drops. But download speed is cut to half - with bluetooth turned on (imagine I have to work on wifi network with BT headphones ON)

If I will turn BT off, everything will come back to normal - full download speed, no flapping.

Turning off VHT mode is also not an option here.

I will try to collect system logs via SSU tool, then I will check if I could post it here.

Only way for now is to rollback to driver from few years ago where this issue was not present.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

- Do you have the option to enable Bluetooth® AMP in your adapter settings?

- What is the brand and model of your wireless router/access point?

We look forward to your SSU report. To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

first - yes I have BT AMP mode enabled, if BT is disabled, link is ok, if BT enabled - link is flapping is a little bit ...

with AMP disabled - it's even worse ... link flapping each 8 secs ...

I did a rollback to driver from 2014 - v 17.13.0.9 - absolutely no issue if BT is on or off ... no link flapping or performance issue ...

next - my router is from ASUS - RT-N18U - with latest official firmware.

last - this is my company device so I am limited in providing logs to you, could you please specify what logs from SSU would be helpful for you ?

Thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

The SSU report won't include any personal identifiable information, only your system specifications, settings, driver versions, etc. This report is the simplest, but not the only way to get what we need. We definitely do understand how company policies may get in the way of this sometimes, that's OK.

We'd like to have the following information:

1. What is the model of your wireless adapter?

2. Which version of Windows 7* are you using? (example, Home Premium 64-bit, SP1).

3. We understand the issue is being triggered by an update to your Wireless driver. Which driver version are you using for Bluetooth®?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

1. I am using Intel Wireless Bluetooth

2. Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64

3. driver v. 19.70.0.4 from Intel corp - from 10.05.2017

hope this helps ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

Thank you for this information.

The Bluetooth® module is integrated into one of our wireless adapter. In device manager please look under Network Adapters and provide us the name of the wireless module showing there.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

not sure if I understand you correctly - which device are you interested in ?

I gave you driver version of very first on from the top & version of my AC-7265 card ...

screenshot below:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phoenixx,

Please confirm that you're using the latest drivers for your wireless adapter:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27311/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* Version: 20.10.2 (includes driver 18.33.11.2 for the AC7265).

We're currently checking with our additional resources to see what changes where made to the latest Bluetooth® driver that could be resulting in your performance issues, and any possible workaround.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
pPhoe1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

yes, I was using also latest driver you've mentioned for my AC7265 - the issue was less appearing, but still there.

Therefore I had to roll-back to driver from 2014 - as mentioned in previous posts - as effective workaround.

0 Kudos