Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Lose connection on 802.1x reauth: 6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence

JBlue
Beginner

Greetings,

I'm on a Dell E7470 which has the 8260 chipset. Running Windows 10 64 bit.

During the day, while connected to Cisco APs the 802.1x reauthentication will kick in and normally it connects just fine. However on the latest drivers, 19.60.0.7 a couple times each day I am experiencing a 1-4 second loss of connectivity during some of the reauths.

The windows event viewer has an entry for these events: 6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence from Netwtw06.

SSU Scan attached. Please let me know if I can provide any more logs, as this appears to be a driver issue. Thank you!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BLueSS,

We checked the log and the information looks normal. Please try the following recommendations:

- Try deleting the wireless profile, then use the interface in Windows® 10 to recreate the Wi-Fi profile. Make sure you match the Security and Authentication methods to what is used in your network.

- If the issue persists, try a clean installation of the drivers provided by the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JBlue
Beginner

Greetings Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this reported behavior is not normal. Yesterday during testing I had about 12 reauthentications. Each reauth was 30 minutes apart (due to session timeout settings). 2 of those 12 reauths during the day had the disconnection that took several seconds to reconnect. The remaining 10 authentications created no disruption to network connectivity on my device and did not have mention of the 6105 error message in the event viewer logs. Normal is not seeing 6105 in the event viewer and normal is instantly reconnecting.

Recreating the wifi profile has no affect. I am using the Intel website provided drivers, so linking to 3rd party support links is not beneficial (unless you're saying the drivers from the Intel site should not be used?).

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BLueSS,

Please let us know the method you are using to create your Wireless Profile. Have you tried recreating the profile completely, matching your Authentication method and advanced settings manually?

Also, we always recommend using the drivers from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support as first option. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don't lose features or customizations.

The https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26782/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=86068 generic driver may not be the best option in some cases.

Please let us know the results after these actions so we can consider further possibilities.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JBlue
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

While the computer manufacturer drivers may have additional features or customization, 802.1x PEAP authentication is basic functionality that all drivers should support without issue. The manufacturers are not changing the hardware provided by Intel for the wireless chipset, therefore basic functionality like wireless authentication should work even with the Intel drivers... and that is the reason for this thread here.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BLueSS,

You can use the generic driver for troubleshooting. Please let us know the results from our previous recommendations:

- Which method did you use to create the Wireless Profile? (Windows advanced options, Intel® PROset Wireless Software for IT admins, etc.)

- Have you set the Advanced settings in the profiles to match your network features?

- Were there any issues before you updated to 19.60?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JBlue
Beginner

- Which method did you use to create the Wireless Profile? (Windows advanced options, Intel® PROset Wireless Software for IT admins, etc.)

Group Policy (Automatically added and created as it's a corporately managed device).

- Have you set the Advanced settings in the profiles to match your network features?

Yes.

- Were there any issues before you updated to 19.60?

19.50.x - Connectivity issues several times a day. I did not investigate much as I saw 19.60.x available.

19.40.x - I was using these drivers for some time without any noticeable issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BLueSS,

We are checking with our additional resources about this, and we'll need to research further on this.

Please let us know the following:

- Is the system roaming between AP's when this happens?

- Let us know the way used to add the profiles to the computer, and the tool used by the administrator to create these profiles.

- Have you checked with the System administrator about this? If you did, please let us know their findings.

Regards,

Jonathan B,
0 Kudos
JBlue
Beginner

Jonathan,

- Is the system roaming between AP's when this happens?

Last week, it was the same Cisco access point.

- Let us know the way used to add the profiles to the computer, and the tool used by the administrator to create these profiles.

Windows Group Policy https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg266419.aspx Using Group Policy to Configure Wireless Network Settings

- Have you checked with the System administrator about this? If you did, please let us know their findings.

I am one of them. Please let me know if there's a better method for getting support here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BLueSS,

Thanks for the information. We'll need to review additional details of the environment.

Please check your private messages as we would like to use a different contact method for future interactions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
SRett
Beginner

Hi,

we get this error message, too.

It appears together with a way more annoying bug that removes all the already input password and login credentials in Windows 10's Wifi interface:

we have seen the issue on at least two laptops:

1) Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Windows 10 Pro

2) Thinkpad Yoga 370, Windows 10 all variants

for the second Notebook we more or less tried all current Windows 10 variants:

Home 1704, Professional 1704, LTSB 2016 (all 64 bit)

We tried different driver versions (pure intel, lenovo provided) for the wireless driver, with no success. However, with newer Intel drivers the error

6105 - deauth after EAPOL key exchange sequence from Netwtw06

(see e.g. here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/114770 https://communities.intel.com/thread/114770)

always shows up every time the login data is reset. This might indicate a problem with the wireless network, but I am not so sure about that. Do you happen to know more about that?

Additional note: this only happens with wireless connections that require BOTH a login, as well as a password.

Connections that only require a password input are not affected.

Best,

Steffen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SCCS,

We would like to make sure you tried the actions previously recommended, here are some of the most relevant:

- Please Check for OS updates to make sure Windows* is up to date.

- Try removing the Wireless profiles completely and then recreating them manually with any enterprise features you may require.

For additional assistance, please provide the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Aside from the events, have you noticed any other issue, or connection problem?

- How are you creating the Wireless Profile? (Windows advanced options, Intel® PROset Wireless Software for IT admins, etc.)

- Do you use Enterprise network features, such as 802.1X, roaming, etc.?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
SRett
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

we have of course tried the suggested options (deleting the wifi profile and recreating them; as well as installing all OS updates).

I have attached the file you requested.

This problem occurs when no profile is created yet. Just trying to input the login credentials on the usual windows screen (I have attached an image) does not work properly.

Other problems I noticed:

* the re-connection to the network often does not work properly and the wifi profile has to be reset. then you can again connect to the network, if you are able to enter your credentials fast enough.

(Enterprise) network features:

* the network is hosted by lrz and uses the typical eduroam ssid: https://www.lrz.de/services/netz/wlan/anleitungen/ LRZ: Konfigurationsanleitung für WPA-EAP (eduroam und mwn-events)

* it uses WPA-EAP resp. WPA2-EAP and PEAP

* no roaming

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Best,

Steffen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Steffen,

The main thing to consider is that if you use Enterprise security, just setting the SSID and password may not be enough. You can try changing the connection settings manually, configure Security and Authentication according to the requirements of the network. Please keep in mind that if Windows* has its own tools for this, so we advise to check with Microsoft* about it.

Additionally, you can apply the following actions to discard other issues:

- Check for OS updates and make sure Windows* any applicable patches.

- Apply the following steps and do a clean installation of the driver:

1. You can use the driver from the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support as first option, if the issue persists please try the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos