Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Netwtw06.sys crashes when shutting down on Windows 11 (2)

saita
Beginner

This question is a continuation of this previous question https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Netwtw06-sys-crashes-when-shutting-down-on-Windows-11/m-p/1358689

On Windows 11, Netwtw06.sys always crashes with DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS when shutting down if we boot Windows from iSCSI.

In a previous question, @JosueO_Intel said:

in this case, due to the nature of the issue which is modifying the registry or registry being modified by the OS, our recommendation is to check directly with Microsoft to get specialized support with the OS issues you are having. 

I contacted to Microsoft support team and got the following answers:

• They checked the result of `!analyze -v` and said that the BSOD occurred because Netwtw06.sys didn't cancel the pending operations (on lookaside list, DPC, worker thread, etc.) before it was unloaded.
  • They said that the registry key is modified by Windows when we boot Windows from iSCSI, and any drivers should work fine even if this registry is set.
  • They don't have any internal information about Netwtw06.sys, so I was asked to contact to Intel.

If this issue is not fixed, Netwtw06.sys prevent us to boot Windows 11 from iSCSI, which is a big problem.

I would like you to consider this issue again.
It's so easy to reproduce this issue, and anyone can reproduce this issue.

Environment

• Driver: Netwtw06.sys (20.70.3.3 and 20.70.27.1)
  • NIC: Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Steps to Reproduce

1. Install Windows 11.
  2. Boot Windows 11 from iSCSI.
    If it is difficult, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Run regedit.exe
    2. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\HardwareConfig\{Current} key on left pane.
    3. Double click BootDriverFlags value, and set least significant bit to 1
      (ex: 0x1c => 0x1d , 0x0 => 0x1)
    4. Close regedit.exe
    5. Reboot Windows to apply the registry.
  3. Reboot again. When shutting down, Windows crashes with DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS.

Detail

• When I unset LSB of BootDriverFlags value on registry, this issue doesn't occur.
  • Even if I update Netwtw06.sys to the latest version (20.70.27.1), this issue occurs.
  • I have attached the result of !analyze -v on WinDbg as win11-bsod.txt to the previous question.
  • I have also attached the result of SSU to the previous question.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello saita, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello saita, 

In this case, since the registry key is modified by Windows and we do not support key registry modification and considering that this only happens when it boot from iSCSI, the recommendation is to continue the research with Microsoft for proper support.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos