Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

New AX200ngw Super Slow

JEast9
Beginner

I just installed an AX200NGW wireless network card in my Dell Inspiron 5566 laptop for access to my 5ghz ​network at home. The original card was a Qualcomm QCNFA335. Over 2.4ghz I was pulling 35mbps down, and 25 up. Now over 2.4ghz I'm pulling 8mbps down and 55up, and over 5ghz I'm pulling 12mbps down and 320 up (940/880 Frontier FiOs).

I installed the latest drivers from Intel for bluetooth and wifi.

Any ideas why the download speeds have decreased? I know this isn't a high performance laptop, but it shouldn't have decreased in wifi performance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should have consulted with Dell on the card's compatibility with your laptop.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel hates me saying this, but I believe that there is a systemic bug in their Wireless drivers that is responsible for the slowdowns and disconnections that are being reported across the Intel wireless solutions.

...S

JEast9
Beginner

Thank you! But I found my culprit. The "smartbyte" app from Dell handles drivers and such and as soon as I uninstalled it, my speeds are over 300mbps up and down.​

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I sure hope you are correct and that this will help the other Dell users. Please Infom Dell about this.

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos
JEast9
Beginner

A simple google search of "Smartbyte Dell Wi-fi" tells you enough that scores of people with Dell laptops feel as if it's a damned virus.​

0 Kudos