Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7491 Discussions

PCIe vs CNVio and CNVio 2

windows_guru
Novice

I am not happy with the nonsense over CNVio and CNVio 2 as this really is an insult to established standards. PCIe x2 is the standard for the WiFi card slot. Similarly the M.2 slot for A SSD is x4.

Retrofitting laptops is a real headache as I have to select the right model to modernize around WiFi 6 or WiFi 7.

Trying a card in an i3-9100 went nowhere so I installed a PCIe x1 card instead to achieve WiFi 7 capability.

I am so incensed over incompatible slots that violate Canadian law. The competition act applies to all vendors.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello windows_guru, 

I am sorry to hear that your having some difficulty with the CNVio and CNVio 2. It seems you are having some issues with your wireless components. May I please know the specific model? You also mentioned that you are retrofitting laptops, are you trying to upgrade the network adapter of this systems ? Please share with us the specific model of the laptop that you are trying to retrofit. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Vinniemac
Beginner

A PCIe+USB WiFi Card will fit in a CNVio2 system but not the other way around.

Likewise a Key A+E Card will fit in a Key E slot but not the other way around.

AX201 WiFi 6 - CNVio2 - Key E
AX211 WiFi 6E - CNVio2 - Key E
AX411 WiFi 6E (DC)- CNVio2 - Key E
Killer i/s Models - CNVio2 - Key E

BE200 WiFi 7 320Mhz - PCIe+USB - Key E
BE202 WiFi 7 160Mhz - PCIe+USB - Key E
(These WiFi 7 cards do have compatibility issues)

AX200 WiFi 6 - PCIe+USB - Key A+E
AX210 WiFi 6E - PCIe+USB - Key A+E

Note though that it also depends on the system manufacturers as to what cards are accepted and what card slot is present. It's always a good idea to check first by opening up the laptop.

If in doubt use AX200 or AX210 as they are the most universal.

Also note "CNVio2" is the interface and not the WiFi card slot, it means that the Bluetooth and WiFi Components are on the CPU and only the RF and Signalling are on the WiFi card.

"PCIe+USB" all of the components are on the WiFi Card.

Most of the incompatibility is due to system OEMs deploying WiFi Card "allowed" lists in the BIOS or on older systems that cannot handle 160Mhz or the WiFi 7 320Mhz. In this case 80Mhz cards are recommended.

CNVio2 is Intel proprietary but it does not lock you in to only using those WiFi cards because is it an interface, not a slot.

The PCIe revision for a WiFi Card is not the same as that for a NVMe SSD.

A lot of people I've seen get annoyed because they've purchased a CNVio2 interface card and put it in a non CNVio2 system and then direct the blame on Intel.

Could Intel publish more on CNVio2 to raise awareness of the technology? Yes. There is very little information from Intel, at least without searching.

0 Kudos