Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Problem with the AC-7260 constantly disconnecting AC speed not availble

IBoji
Novice

Hi i'm having problem with this card and honnesly it already worked with older microsoft drivers and now it doesn't anymore.

I tried to roll back but can't make it work anymore.

Channel width 5.2ghz auto just won't stay connected more than few seconds.

At 20 mhz it'S more stable but i bought the card for ac speeds...

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I have a Intel AC 7260 dual band wifi card in my Zotac ID90.

"Wifi Proset" Windows 10 64b.

New Driver Version - 18.33.11.2

here is the ssu file

My router is a netgear x10 r8900 and also had netgear r7000. Same result, the problem is in intel drivers because it already worked.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
55 Replies
bSharpCyclist
Novice

I have a similar issue when using the 5GHz band (about 3 months now). My router supports dual band and whenever I connect to the 5GHz band, the wi-fi connection eventually stops working all together (maybe after and hour or two). It's unable to find any wi-fi networks. I have to reboot the laptop (Lenovo W541) for the adapter to start working again.

I'm going to try setting the Roaming Aggressiveness attribute to lowest and see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
TSuth
Beginner

Look, this problem was driving me nuts and Intel is no help. Turning off power management and messing with the driver over and over did nothing for me. I believe that the hardware on this adapter is underspec'd and cannot keep up with a fast 5GHz connection...that's my theory at least.

What fixed it for me was to go to Device Manager, Properties, Advanced and set Roaming Aggressiveness to "Lowest" rather than the default of "Medium". I've been up now for 36 hours without a drop. No performance impact either.

0 Kudos
OKuzn1
Beginner

All who have problem with AC 7260, did you buy it from AliExpress?

Because I also have problem with DNS it is dropping and i bought dapter from AliExpress, maybe it is bad china adapter?

0 Kudos
bSharpCyclist
Novice

My adapter came with the laptop from Lenovo. I can't use the 5GHz band at all anymore. Dies within 15 minutes and I have to reboot. Doesn't matter what 5GHz access point I connect to. It certainly didn't do this when I first got the laptop. I'm inclined to think it's a driver issue.

0 Kudos
ChrisC_Intel

Hello Daniel,

Since the issue in the original thread was resolved we are closing this one; for any new issues please post a new question so we can gladly assist you.

Thanks,

-Chris

0 Kudos
PWest4
Beginner

I see a post from Intel (right above this) saying this thread is closed as it is resolved. Please could someone point me to the resolution as I have tried everything mentioned here but nothing worked for me. However, I am able to offer another possible solution.

I recently had to reinstall Windows 10. After that, my card started dropping the connection (Dell Inspiron laptop, N7260 card, was working fine for the three years before the Windows reinstall) whenever I had heavy load (like downloading a large file). This led me to believe the issue is some conflict with the driver and a Windows 10 update in the past six months (about how long I was getting by with an old Windows 10 that I could not update until the reinstall). I tried all the usual (power setting off, low roaming, every driver I could find) and nothing worked. It got even worse with the latest Intel driver because it started dropping connection a few times a day even when idle. I noticed the 'Throughput Booster or Throughput Enhancement' setting was disabled, so, without knowing what it did (apparently it's only useful for uploads, not downloads) I turned it on. WOWZA! I downloaded a 15gb file at super-fast speed for me (a fairly steady 4mb/sec) with no problems. Normally it would have ALWAYS crashed within a few seconds or minutes. Is it the answer? Will I be singing a different tune tomorrow? Who knows, but for now at least, it seems to have done the trick for me. It works, somewhat. I still get an occasional drop, but nothing like before, and now it seems to recover when I do a 'troubleshoot problem', whereas before I always had to power off the PC to recover.

One clue for Intel in trying to fix it: when I was doing these large downloads, it would always start off strong at 3.5mb/sec, but then would usually drop to 2mb or so, and then start dropping down to 300kb or less, then come back to 2mb, constantly going up and down like that every few seconds (it looked like the chart you'd see on a heartbeat monitor), until it would finally fail.

0 Kudos
bSharpCyclist
Novice

I looked inside the laptop to see what kind of card it is and to look at getting a replacement. I played with the gray wire, it felt too lose to me. I tried to make the conneciton more secure. Strangely, I've been connected to my 5GHz band for 12 straight hours now without being disconnected. Usually happens within the first hour. Unfortunately, the download speed is only 1/3 of what it should be. My other laptop gets the full download when using speedtest. So I may just replace this card anyway.

0 Kudos
JSimp5
Beginner

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

0 Kudos
bSharpCyclist
Novice

Too bad I didn't know about the older driver site earlier. I ended up replacing the card with the same model, but different FRU from what I had. This one works just fine with the current driver and so I don't need to roll back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2MCJJM

0 Kudos
PWest4
Beginner

I ended up having to go waaaaaay back, to the original 2005 Microsoft 17.15.0.5 driver on my Dell 5000. That did the trick. Everything working fine now. I have disabled any Windows 10 updates to that specific driver.

0 Kudos
MBohl
Novice
mute On Sat, Dec 15, 2018, 8:10 AM Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com wrote:
0 Kudos
PRobi3
Beginner

Was experiencing the same issues after having to replace the harddrive in my T440p Lenovo Thinkpad, The new drive was sent out imaged for my laptop, I had not experienced any issue with wireless connectivity before installing this drive. I've basically manually removed and deleted the drivers and associated files, re-booted and installed a clean set of drivers as directed, rebooted once more.

My thoughts are the OEM drivers for windows are screwed for this image, with so many reported issue's surely this is something that needs to be investigated directly with the operating system vendor

0 Kudos
PCost10
Beginner

I might have a fix for that.

Go into Windows Devices Manager, find everything related to the WIFI-Bluetooth>

(Network adapter, Bluetooth, Sound Controlers, HID Devices, Mouse and Pointing Devices)

Go thru all the option that have a energy setting. Unchek all and every option that says that the computer can turnoff the device for power saving.

That solved both my Bluetooth and Wifi connection problems so far.

Hope it work for you to.

Regards,

0 Kudos
PWest4
Beginner

On my Dell D5000 I had to go all the way back to the 17.15.0.5 driver. to get one that didn't constantly drop connection. Now it's working fine. To install you might need to uninstall the Intel software, and you also need to prevent Windows from updating to the new version again (or roll-back if it does)

0 Kudos