Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Put PC as Hotspot using "Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265"

EGei
Beginner

Hello everyone !

I want to use my PC running under windows 7 as a hotspot. A server developped in C++ is running on the PC and i want to connect an Android device on it. To create the hotspot, I'm using 'Connectify' and a "Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265" card. I can connect the Android device on the PC without any problem. The PC emitts on channel 11 (by default I guess) and i want to change the channel (2 for example). I've already looked in the settings of the card, in the datasheet, and on internet, but i didn't find out how doing it.

If anybody knows how to fix my problem

Thank you

(Sorry for my bad english)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello GeiEmil,

To change channels directly on the card you can do the following:

1 - Access Device Manger

2 - Select Network Adapters >> right click on it >> select Properties >>> click on the tab that says Advanced >> and from the dialog box, select Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g... then go to Value and change the channel there. See the picture below.

EGei
Beginner

Hello aleki_intel,

Thank you very much for your help and your quick answer

I've already tested your solution and whatever the number selected the PC continues to emitt on the channel 11. To see the number of the channel, I use 'Wifi Analyser' on Android.

My configuration (it's in french, but it's the same as your configuration):

What I have with 'Wifi Analyzer':

We can see my hotspot (Serveur_TA) still emitts on the channel 11. Maybe there is another setting to fix in 'Connectify', I'm still looking for the problem.

GeiEmil

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello GeiEmil,

Could you please provide us more details on what you are trying to do?

What is your OS?

Which device is creating the hotspot on?

What is connecting to this hotspot.

Please provide as much details as you can.

0 Kudos
EGei
Beginner

Hello,

I've developped a server in C++. The server captures an image through a camera and send it by Wifi to an Android device (An Asus Transformer Pad TF300TG). The server runs on a "Intel NUC 5i3RYH" (Windows 7 64 bits) and the Wifi Hotspot is created on it. The Hotspot emitts at 2,4GHz and the default channel is 11. I want to change this last one, to emitts on channel 2 for example. The wireless card is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

To create the Hospot, i use "Connectify", but it's impossible to choose the channel with it.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello GeiEmail,

We have reviewed your issue with our engineers and would like to inform that our adapter was not developed to work as an access point so it may not work with Conectify* Please contact Connectify* support to see if they have a workaround that might help you accomplish your goal.

For your convenience, here is the link for their support: http://support.connectify.me/category/3-hotspot Hotspot - Connectify Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
EGei
Beginner

Hello aleki_intel,

Thank you for your answer

I've contacted Connectify and here the answer:

"Thanks for contacting Connectify Support. Unfortunately, Connectify does not have the ability to control the hotspot channel. The channel of the Hotspot is determined by the channel of the network that the adapter is currently connected to as well as your network adapter (if it supports 5GHz). If you are connected to a 5GHz network, then you will get a 5GHz hotspot. The same would also be true for a 2.4GHz hotspot.

Now, some cards might have an option that allows you to change between 2.4Ghz and 5GHz band or choose a specific channel. You should try checking in the Device Manager under the Advanced Properties of your adapter for these options."

So I can't control the channel with connectify.

I don't understand your answer, you say that your "adaptater was not developed to work as an access point", but I already use it as an access point. I can send data to my Android device from this computer. The only difficulty I have is to change the emitting channel.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos