Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Recurrent corrected hardware errors on PCI Express Root Port

GBroo5
Beginner

I am experiencing recurrent corrected hardware errors on PCI Express Root Port on a 10 month old laptop with an AC-3165 wifi adapter. These errors are discovered in BSOD minidumps. The laptop manufacturer is unwilling to deal with the issue. Is there anything Intel can do to help?

The minidumps can be reviewed here.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, your laptop manufacturer is responsible for sopport of THEIR laptop. I would send it back under warranty.

Doc

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

I have been through three levels of support at Dell with no effect. I've referred level 3 to the minidump link. Their test tools do not appear to pay any attention to minidumps.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is it you want to accomplish here?

Doc

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

I am trying to find a path to resolving the BSODs on the laptop. If the errors seen in the minidumps represent a defective component under warranty then that component ought to be replaced. I must admit I am largely ignorant of the innards of the laptop, but I am not technology illiterate.

First, I need to confirm that the errors are related to the AC-3165 adapter. If so, do the errors indicate a defective component? And if they do indicate a defective Intel component will Intel provide a replacement if Dell does not?

I have asked the Dell 3rd-level representative what Dell's position is with respect to the errors but have not received a response.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Dell is solely responsible for support and warranty of your laptop. If you do have a defective component, dell, as the integrator, is responsible for its replacement.

Doc

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

I can accept that. What I still don't know is whether "PCI Express Root Port" refers to the wifi adapter or any other Intel product.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are VEN_XXXX and DEV_XXXX parameters associated with the entry for this Root Port. What are they?

(BTW, an internet search using these two parameters will usually provide you with a good description of what the device actually is.)

...S

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

What I have is: Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D14&SUBSYS_078B1028&REV_F1

A quick web search did not reveal a specific product, although there are references to network adapters. VEN_8086 says Intel, that I've learned.

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

Also, searching the Windows registry tells me it's a "PCI to PCI Bridge". This does not sound like a user replaceable item.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am seeing this as being the Mobile 6th Generation Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #5. What this port is used for/connected to is something that only the board designers at Dell can tell us. Usually, failures with PCIe lanes like this are caused by the device(s) connected to it. If this lane is routed to the mini-PCIe connector that is used for the Wireless card, it could be that your Wireless-AC 3165 card is failing.

...S

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

Fascinating. I'm hoping I'll be successful in getting Dell's heretofore missing attention.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos