Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

[Solved Non-Intel] Adapter switching cannot be disabled after enabling via administrator tool

idata
Employee

Hi there,

I have a painful experience of not being able to disable the adapter switching after enabling it once.

A little bit of background:

Windows 7 SP1, latest updates, latest drivers for both Intel Wireless N6205 and wired 82579LM

This is Dell Latitude E6420 computer.

In addition to the wireless module, another original Dell WWAN module was added.

The situation is as following:

Due to my work nature, my computer frequently requires multiple connections, such as to internal network w/o Internet access and to the Internet, in order to download a file to it.

Current behavior is:

When connecting a network cable to the internal LAN, no matter if it is enabled or disabled, the Wireless Radio is forcefully turned off, as well as Dell WWAN adapter!

Although I think that this behavior is completely wrong, let's say that it is by design.

The problem seems to be, that after enabling the Adapter Switching via Administrator Tool yet 2 years ago, I cannot disable it.

I've already reinstalled Windows from scratch a couple of times, however the problem seems to be not fully "software-related"

My steps to try disabling the adapter switching:

Go to Administrator Tool >> Create New Package > Aplication Settings

Check the "Include Application Settings in this package..."

Go to Adapter Switching and... Voilla!

There is only a checkmark to enable the feature, but no option to force disable it!

{BTW, in latest version of the driver a remark was added stating that this feature is supported by Windows 7 Client only. Is it only 7, 7 and lower or 7 and higher?}

No need to say that after saving the new profile and applying it, nothing happens.

So, beware of Adapter Switching! As for now, it is one-way ticket!

If somebody have managed to fix that, please update.

No need to say that I have not found a fix for two years.

Upd: not related to Intel Adapter switching technology. Turned to be a wicked BIOS setting on Dell Latitude

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

SergeyB, I was able to test this; however, it worked properly for us. I recommend you saving a new profile package with the Adapter Swiching option unchecked and try again.

I used a system with the same wireless adapter and Windows* 7 SP1.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have tried to do that a couple of times.

However, the behavior doesn't change - once plugged a network cable with link, the adapters disconnect.

I've tried even to remove the Dell WWAN adapter, since on one of the forums I've read that non-Centrino cards may cause some problems.

Still problem persists.

Did a new profile thingie a couple of times.

The only thing I'm thinking of right now is... could you please send me the profile file you've created? I could try to run it on my PC.

Any other idea would be highly appreciated, since I'me in the mood of tearing my hairs off my head.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe,

Again, I appreciate your response.

I've tried doing same thing exactly with creating a new profile, which includes application settings, and no check mark on the Adapter Switching.

Applying the profile had no effect after restart and cold power cycle.

Are you sure you managed to disable the feature after enabling it?

Desperately need your profile EXE in order to test it just for sure.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

When I enabled the feature the wireless disconnected every time I connected the UTP cable. Wireless reconnected whenever the cable was unplugged. Then, I went ahead and disabled the feature and applied the profile. Both wireless and wired connections stayed connected at the same time, there was no need to restart from my side, I just waited few seconds.

Are you using a retail or OEM version of the operating system? It is possible that an OEM version may not allow this to work properly… The system I am using has Intel® Proset Wireless Software 15.8.

I am afraid I do not have an option to send such file at this time but it was pretty much a package with default settings in order to just disable the aforementioned feature.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

1. This is standard Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

2. I've tried to use the same version of drivers as you've been used.

The effect is still the same *standing for no effect at all

I create the profile and attempt to run the exe - and then just nothing happens.

At all.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please allow us to investigate further.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe,

I will be more than happy to assist in your research.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Besides version 15.8, did you test with any other one?

Have you considered contacting the system manufacturer about this issue?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I've tried more than once with at least 4 different versions, including the latest 16.

The problem persisted.

I've also tried to contact Dell on the issue. They could not help me over the phone, with their option to transfer the computer to their lab for further investigation. However, since the computer was purchased w/o OS, they were not too much cooperative on that issue.

0 Kudos
MPade
Beginner

SergeyB, I don't know if it could be useful to solve your issue but, as it worked fine for me, I like to share...

I was in a similar situation as yours, only I have a Dell E6530, with the same N6205 network card.

I've tried the last Intel Proset package, and I've been able to uncheck the Adapter Switching setting, but still having the Wireless Radio turning Off upon wired LAN connected.

I've found a BIOS setting on my PC that did the job perfectly !

It is in the BIOS, under Power Management, Wireless Radio Control... just uncheck both settings and apply.

Hope it would work for you too.

Now I've unistalled Intel Proset management software, only leaving the last driver installed for the wireless card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

mpaderni,

If you were looking for canonical definition of "you've made my day", here it is.

After numerous support calls to Dell, OS reinstallation, and hours of digging over the Internet and almost 2 years of frustration, it just worked.

There are 2 questions remaining:

1. Why the hell Dell think that disabling adapters upon wired network connection comes under category of Power Management rather than networking

2. How it comes that I hadn't managed to find it by myself. Probably also due to # 1, but mostly due to being "too smart" (read stupid)

Joe, I appreciate your help. And sorry - it was OEM related.

0 Kudos
MPade
Beginner

Nice, I'm happy for that !

And about your questions...

# 1 I don't really know

# 2 it was not so easy to find... following this thread I've tried every suggested step, and more other suggestions taken from the web, without success...until the BIOS finding.

Thank you for the feedback.

0 Kudos