Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7457 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
cmacd1
Novice

I managed to find the proset download, thanks patricia, but can't install them as I get the error - a newer product is already installed when I run the setup. When I go to programs to uninstall the proset/wifi applications (I have two of them - same version in there) I get - This version can not be upgrade from the current older product. Please uninstall the older product manually. This is after I right click either of them and select uninstall. I have no idea how I am meant to uninstall manually the product. Basically the intel software is poked. All I can hope for is a driver, not Proset/wifi apps until the underlying issue is solved - thanks intel for your great software. I see now why intel is not in the application development game. sucks!

0 Kudos
HG5
Beginner

Hey guys.

I was having the same problem until I downgraded to the driver version 15.4.1.1.

Now it works wonderfully. The updated version of the driver seems to be the problem.

I use windows 8 in a Sony Vaio.

Cheers

0 Kudos
MCipr1
Beginner

To add more names to the list, I too have the same issue. I recently purchased a Samsung NP780Z5E to replace stolen Samsung NP700. I loved the NP700 it served me well for over a year with no issues whatsoever. I wanted another one, so I got the NP7800. Again, I love the product, but I have the wireless drop issue. I tried everything listed here. I currently have it running the 15.8 driver with the power saving turned off. This seems to have solved the problem, but I am holding my breath for the next disconnect.

0 Kudos
TSood
Beginner

I had been facing this disconnection problem for last 5 months on my Samsung Series 9 notebook, but was solved today by installing driver version 15.8.0.5

0 Kudos
MSamu
Beginner

I had the same problem with Samsung series 5 ultrabook NP54OU3C, but was solved by installing driver 15.8.0.5

0 Kudos
DBaxt2
Beginner

Wow. I will try out the new Intel driver. I wish Samsung would show something newer than 15.6.1.20 with their software update tool.

0 Kudos
TSood
Beginner

15.8.0.5 is not available through Samsung update tool. I downloaded it from the Intel site and it is working perfectly for last 3 days, without any disconnection.

0 Kudos
JEmen
Novice

All I have seen is the 15.8.0 driver from about May 23rd. Does the driver update to 15.8.3?

Have you managed to look at the release notes to see what they claim to have fixed in the latest version? Was "spontaneous connection drops and complete inability to connect to various AP's" listed, by chance?

0 Kudos
JEmen
Novice

Okay, so it looks like the "15.8.0" drivers, listed here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22786 Download Center) actually contain 15.8.0.5.

Now, the question becomes: do I pull out my always-worked-fine Ralink card and take another gamble on Intel? Probably not.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

If you had the same problem as I did the answer is no these drivers are still defective. I have already tried these last week before replacing the intel card with the Broadcom.

My guess is Samsung will release drivers at some point that will fix the issue on the back of intel finding the issue and remedying it. As such I'd hang on for a wee while yet.

If you do try them though and they work let me know your config and I may review, but as I say if these are the same ones on the site a week ago then avoid them. It would actually be good if intel had release notes on these drivers as then you could actually see what the driver addresses in this iteration.

C-

0 Kudos
TSood
Beginner

I have not faced a single instance of disconnection since Saturday, when I installed the new 15.8.0.5 driver on my Samsung Series 9 notebook with Windows 8. Before that the Wi-Fi was disconnecting itself after every 15-30 minuets and I was using an ethernet cable to maintain a stable connection.

0 Kudos
DBaxt2
Beginner

Well. After installing the 15.8.0.5 driver and rebooting, my Series 9 worked great for a few hours. Thought everything was fixed... but...you can tell where this is headed. Started getting dropouts again. Tried it today, and continued getting the same disconnects.

Not wanting to suffer endlessly, I ordered a $12.99 Panda Wireless N micro USB adapter from Amazon. Got it in one day. Plugged it in, it automatically configured in seconds, and I am watching videos online. Been great for the last couple hours, but I'll need a longer test to be sure. Maybe someday Intel or Samsung will fix this travesty of a wifi card. But it sure seems like they have their third string working the problem.

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

I'm also having issues with 15.8.0.5. It's not as often, but when it first happens I have to reboot my computer to get a connection again. Small dropouts still occurs as well, but slightly less then before.

I can't believe it's that hard to fix this problem. It must be something with the software since the default W8 driver works fine? I'm seriously considering selling my WiDi equipment + Intel card and go back to my broadcom card. Or even better, can I deliver this to my local shop where I bought this and tell them it's broken + refer them to this thread? I don't feel it's my fault or that the equipment works as intended..

0 Kudos
LCasc
Beginner

IMPORTANT: I had been reading extensively and I got to the conclusion that a single answer does not exist. Furthermore none of the suggested solutions is either longterm or definitive. So I decided to give it a shot: change the Centrino 6235 wifi adaptor for a different one (Realtek). You know what? Now the WiFi is incredibly stable and no drops out so far. I just regret not to have taken the decision before. Such a pity that the best solution is the simplest one.

0 Kudos
LCasc
Beginner

IMPORTANT: I had been reading extensively and I got to the conclusion that a single answer does not exist. Furthermore none of the suggested solutions is either longterm or definitive. So I decided to give it a shot: change the Centrino 6235 wifi adaptor for a different one (Realtek). You know what? Now the WiFi is incredibly stable and no drops out so far. I just regret not to have taken the decision before. Such a pity that the best solution is the simplest one.

0 Kudos
LCasc
Beginner

Agree with you. Same position!

0 Kudos
JEmen
Novice

Cascia wrote:

...change the Centrino 6235 wifi adaptor for a different one (Realtek). ... I just regret not to have taken the decision before.

I hadn't thought of phrasing it like this, but I think this hits the nail on the head. I see all of these people trying different drivers, futzing with their adaptor settings and whatnot. Here's a concept: why not just put in a card that works, and then you don't have to tweak it and see if you get a usable computer out of it?

In the interest of that, I think I'm going to compile a list of the 802.11n-with-bluetooth mini-PCI-e cards and post them here. Then, people can get any one of them from eBay and be done with the problem.

0 Kudos
JLitt4
Beginner

I totally agree. I just finished switching out my Intel Centrino 6235 Advanced N out for one of these:

http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=215 http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=215

It's a bit more pricey than most of the other alternatives, but I wanted something reputable that wasn't thrown together by some OEM looking to cut costs down to the bone or something ripped out of some other machine.

Note: When you compile the list, you'll probably want to distinguish between adapters that [a] support dual band and [b] have Bluetooth capabilities. Both dual band and bluetooth are requirements for me and the combination of these two features severely limited the list of possible replacements. One of the great things about the Centrino was that it was cheap and that it had these features. Sadly the software for the card just doesn't some capable of keeping up with the hardware.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

If you do compile a list add me in so I can update my blog on how to change card as listed in previous posts, thanx...

Well I bit the bullet and replaced the Intel card, too. I do plan to hold on to the card as I do want WiDi but I also need a stable mobile WiFi. Went for the Broadcom BCM94313HMGB. As such I'll watch this space. Until then keep the faith that intel is working tirelessly day in day out to solve the problem.

The how to is listed in my Blog at: http://macdonaldz.blog.com/2013/06/01/replace-intel-centrino-advanced-n-6235/ http://macdonaldz.blog.com/2013/06/01/replace-intel-centrino-advanced-n-6235/

Good luck peps.

C-

0 Kudos
FSimo1
Beginner

15.8.0.5 is not available through Samsung update tool. I downloaded it from the Intel site and it is working perfectly for last 3 days, without any disconnection.

It is working form me too.

0 Kudos
JEmen
Novice

Well, here's what little I dug up, yesterday:

I've tried to track down whether they support 5GHz 802.11n and what version of Bluetooth they support, as well as the chips they contain (for those also concerned with Linux or MacOS support), and what price I was able to find on eBay. I'm not sure how crucial Bluetooth 4.0 is, since I hear the big advantage of it is energy savings, which would be important in a phone, but not so much when you look at how much power a laptop is burning through.

CardChip(s)5GHz?BTSparklan WPER-101GNRT3090BC4No3.0$26Sparklan WPEA-152GNAR3012 + AR9485No4.0Sparklan WPEA-251NAR9462No4.0Killer Wireless 1202QCA2282YES4.0$50BCM94313HMGBBCM4313/BCM2070No3.0$9BCM943228HMBBCM43228/BCM20702YES4.0$22

So, it looks like the best deal might be the last one listed. Just search eBay for "BCM943228HMB" (which should be the entire card with the bluetooth chip as well), or search for "BCM43228 bluetooth", which will search for the WiFi chip along with bluetooth capability. On eBay, they're going for about $22. The documentation I've found so far indicates that the WiFi supports 5GHz.

0 Kudos