Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
JB26
New Contributor I

AV,

Might be load dependent, but your speed is probably slow too.

Joe, where is an update on this issue? This feels like the Pentium 5 issue all over again. Intel released a defective product knowing it had a defect and made users jump through hoops to get any resolution. I'm pretty sure there are enough people with stability issues for a class action lawsuit.

0 Kudos
AMorr8
Beginner

"I'm pretty sure there are enough people with stability issues for a class action lawsuit."

Intel Centrino 2200 user here. I would gladly join a class action at this point, the wireless functionality of my Toshiba Satellite is non-existent. No matter what configuration of router, computer or driver it just doesn't work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been using the new driver for a few days now and everything seems to work as intended (with N enabled), including after waking from sleep. This is on a Sony Vaio S13 (SVS13A190S)

Edit: Nevermind. It still drops out. Dammit Intel...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello from germany,

first please apologize my not perfect english. One week ago I bought two Samsung NP550P7C with the 6235 adapter installed for me and my son. We mostly use the notebooks at home in our wireless network. After configuring the machines I was very afraid about the many drop outs from my WLAN. Our old notebooks never had problems, also our tablet and the smartphones. Installing the newest driver 15.6.1.6. changed the problem only slightly. The drop outs appear, but the yellow sign in the WIFI tray icon is not shown and the adapter more or less quickly reconnects. Only disabling the 802.11n option works stable, but this way cannot be the real solution with such new and expensive hardware. After searching the net for days, I found this thread und the idea to remove the 802.11n option, which was a great help for the first time, but I still hope, that intel will really solve the problem.

Regards,

Rainer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After noticing that the problem, for me, only seems to be on the 2.4 GHz band, I have found the problem may not only be with the 6235 card. While I was running my router only on the 2.4 GHz band (5.2 GHz disabled on router) my wife noticed that her computer was not connecting well, it has an Intel WiMax 6250, and yet another computer has the Intel WiMax 6150 card. Never noticed these slow downs and drops because these computers normally are at home connected to the 5.2 GHz band. I uninstalled the 15.x driver/software on the 6250 and installed the 14.3.1 driver/software on it, connection is much better. Too bad the 14.x drivers do not support the 6235 card. So, Intel, I think the problem may be more wide spread than first thought, looks to me like your 15.x drivers have a 2.GHz band connection problem, period! I get a stable 300 Mbps connection on 5.2 GHz, but 2.4 GHz connections are a nightmare! Please work on a solution!

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

I'm now on my second Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB and still experiencing the SAME WiFi Issues with the Intel Centrino 6235 WiFi card no matter what driver I am using. This is ridiculous Intel..... Where is an answer!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been trying different things and have found that when I disable the Bluetooth wireless drivers in device manager, I get a stable and steady connection on the 2.4 GHz band, but that defeats the whole purpose of having a Bluetooth enabled card. I am no expert, but looks like there is some sort of interference between the Bluetooth and the 2.4 GHz band. I am still getting a strong 300Mbps connection when connected to the 5.2GHz band only. Guess Intel should have called this a single instead of a dual band card, and the band not working is the most popular!

OK, now found out that I have a slow but stable connection with Bluetooth enabled, but as soon as I connect any Bluetooth device the connection becomes unstable and begins the dropping again. Again...this is only on the 2.4 GHz band....5.2 GHz is still strong 300 Mbps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been reading up on this thread since the mid of March where I obtained my Samsung series 7 NP700G7C-S02. Since then I have been having constant internet issues and my 15 days are soon over hence if intel cannot get this resolved within the next couple of days, I will just hand it back in and get a full refund. Joe, just so you know, the new update didn't do anything and the problem is far from resolved, if it did anything it increased my disconnection times from 4 minutes to 7 and I really do not think that is what you want to accomplish. Also my internet time spans from 20-30 minutes and then the disconnections start. I have barely been able to do anything this past week. I have tried multiple different drivers, even some of the older ones, but still the issue persists. Can you please give us an update on what is going on? Does intel even know how serious this problem is? Is intel even going to do something about it? Please just be blunt with us Joe, we are tired of being in the shadows. If intel has no intention of fixing this issue, just say so damn it. Right now i just want some clear answers, is that really too much to ask?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have ramdom problems with my Wi Fi connection based on Centrino 6235 in my Samsung NP700Z3C-S01CO which I bought in Colombia last November. I installed Windows 8 X64 and for a couple of months there just was not any problem, but in the last few weeks it has become terribly annoying trying to work in my Samsung, I got constantly disconnected. My net either turns to Limited or the connection just breaks altogether and it takes several attempts to restore it. Some times the problem occurs when starting the computer, some times when downloading big files. This needs to be solved. If I wanted crap I wouldn't have bought a Centrino based computer.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Intel, it's been a week and still no update.... Where are you? I think there needs to be a new Hash tag...

Also try posting on their Twitter feed and Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/Intel http://www.facebook.com/Intel

https://twitter.com/intel Intel (intel) on Twitter

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Well update from Intel:

We appreciate the time you have taken for the issue, and we do understand your concern.

We have also taken plenty of time to take care of the issue, as you probably already know; we have developed two different sets of drivers for the Wi-Fi adapter, and we were able to solve most of the issues with this.

Nevertheless, you made it very clear that your specific issue has not been solved and though it does not makes us happy to hear that, we must inform you, one more time, that for further support you need to go to the company that integrated your equipment, in this case Samsung.

We want to make it clear, we are not looking away on the issue, or ignoring your concern, but as per an integral agreement, that you have already been informed about, it is the equipment manufacturer who will take care of the end users issues, such as yours.

As far as we have been informed, Samsung has not looked away on the issue either, and they have replaced your unit twice now.

We hope you find the assistance you require with the right company.

Thanks You Very Much for Your Time

Yerlyn

Intel Customer Support Manager

idata
Employee

I find Intel's answers to this thread worrying, to say the least. As bad as Samsung's. Last Wednesday I call Samsung support in Colombia to ask for a solution to my Centrino 6235 sporadic interruptions and their answer was: 1. Delete the driver and restart the computer -which worked fine for a couple of hours and then it started to fail again. And 2. If the problema persists we will service your computer by !!!reversing it to Windows 7! as you bought it with W7 in the first place. My answer was, you crazy? I bougth the laptop in November 2012 including a coupon to install Windows 8 so it was supposed to be ready to support Windows 8 functionalitirs. Same goes for Intel: your drivers are supposed to work perfectly well on the OEM's hardware. Either that or quit your business. In my case I demand you to provide a solution with full impecable functionality or a total refund from Samsung & Intel with indemnity for my time and work lost, as you together build this machine I am working with.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But the issue is with Intel's drivers, not the integration. As I have stated previously on this thread, my network adapter worked fine with the drivers from Microsoft, but has issues with the connection dropping while using Intel's drivers. I would just go back to using the Microsoft drivers but I purchased a WiDi receiver for my television to use with my tablet, and the Microsoft driver does not support the WiDi. Perhaps Intel could try to find out why Microsoft's driver does not have the same issues as theirs, or work together with Samsung, Asus, and all the other OEM's whose products have diminished utility as a result of Intel's driver to resolve the issue rather than passing the buck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I really hate to jinx myself and say that my problem is fixed, considering how much trouble this has been. But here is what I have done: I completely uninstalled all Intel software and drivers using Windows' uninstall utility found in the control panel, both the Wifi and Bluetooth. Then I looked in the Device Manager and uninstalled (and deleted) any remaining Intel network and bluetooth drivers. Restarted the computer and made a fresh install of the 15.6.1 Proset, software, clicked on Custom Install, and unchecked the the Bluetooth + Highspeed option. After that was complete, I then installed Intel's Bluetooth 2.6.1212 software. As I said before, I travel for a living and had the most problems away from home trying to connect to public/hotel 2.4 GHz bands (5.2 GHz band works great). I am now in my 2nd hotel this week, and everything seems to going well. Not dropping with 3 bluetooth devices connected to the computer (headset, keyboard and mouse). Certainly hope this continues and maybe can help others.

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

CLEARLY Intel can't or doesn't want to fix this issue, probably a $$ issue. Real pathetic though, and it is once again CLEARLY a problem with the cheaply made wireless card, obviously not the manufacturers' fault - what can they do? Replace the computer with a new card?

Let me ask you this Intel - what if some of us are out of warranty? Do you really expect us to pay hundreds of dollars to get this issue looked at, then have a refurb sent back which has the same problems?

FIX IT. NOW. STOP LOOKING AWAY. I will send this to blogs if ignored.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My story,

I bought brand new Samsung 530U4C with Windows 8 x64 about month ago. After updating the drivers for N-6235 I encountered the same problem with N-6235 as most of you - dropouts, connection shown as limited etc.

At first i tried to change settings - power, bluetooth etc - no results. Then i found this page and it turned out that this issue is not only mine. I tried to do as some of you suggested - settings, drivers and messed up with registry . It made me recover system from recovery partition. With fresh install i checked what was on the original image (old driver and some ProSet stuff installed). After that, I did some steps which seem to be working (at least for me):

1) I went to Add/Remove programs and uninstalled EVERYTHING with Intel ProSet, Bluetooth and Wireless in name.

2) I updated drivers for Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 to the version 15.5.6.48 (2012-10-03) from Intel.

3) I disabled Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0 + High Speed Adapter (but i don't know if it is necesary)

4) For Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 i changed range for 2.4 GHz to auto (to enable 300Mbit/s)

5) I grabbed snapshot image of my system for future use (before trying some new latest and gratest driver from Intel)

For now it is working without dropouts, connected at 300Mbit @ 2.4 GHz to my router, stable signal.

This is the best configuration i found. Without that (checking newer and newer Intel driver up to the latest one from 03-2013) i considered returning my ultrabook to the Samsung. The latest driver 15.6.1.20 doesn't work for me, the issue exists there on Windows 8 x64.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

(Samsung NP700G7C-T01CA)

Guys and gals,

As a follow up to my results, and for those commenting about how taking it up with the manufacturer will help anything, since I have received it back from sending it under warranty to Samsung, it appears that my problem has been solved for good (been running 2 weeks strong). Although it took too long in my opinion when factoring in all the shipping and waiting times, I am glad I did it.

As to what they did exactly, I do know they replaced "a part" (perhaps the adapter itself). It appears to be running on an older driver and am scared to do the update to the latest since I have no problems now! On the other hand I'd like to try the latest driver and make sure the issue doesn't return. Is there a way to roll back to this exact driver I have running now in the event the update goes South?

I'm thinking that perhaps Intel may have revised and released a new batch of these adapters and tailored them for the manufacturers since they are stating to follow up with them. Just a thought.

Intel, can you please comment if I am safe to continue normal driver updates and if perhaps what I stated could be true regarding the adapters so others can perhaps be more inclined to take it up with their respective manufacturers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Airbuz, There is an old saying...

If it ain't broke....don't try to fix it!

JB26
New Contributor I

I will report I am still having issues with the replacement Samsung NP700Z5C-UB02 and the Intel Centrino 6235 WiFi card in regards to stuttering when downloading, streaming or using SaaS services over the network. My cellphone can perform these actions flawlessly, why can't my Intel Centrino 6235 WiFi card accomplish the same with a much faster processor?

After installing Intel driver update software it left the Intel Centrino 6235 driver as: 15.6.1.20

Joe_Intel..... where did you vanish to?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Apparently Intel doesn't care about delivering inferior products.... My account was disabled. Joe_Intel care to comment?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wow! Intel is really crossing all the lines. Do you really think just but disabling a single account the issue with your broken product will stop? Seriously, you guys really messed up this time. There will be more people reporting the same issue since there is no indefinite fix for it.

0 Kudos