Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
JCole5
Beginner

@ dracore

No it's not. I had to change my card to fix, ' Mateusz' below had the same done. The amount of complaints point's toward a card issue. Changing it is the only real fix.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John Coleman wrote:

@ dracore

No it's not. I had to change my card to fix, ' Mateusz' below had the same done. The amount of complaints point's toward a card issue. Changing it is the only real fix.

The only reason why I think it was Windows 8 (at least for me) is because I went through 4 different Asus UX31A laptops and all 4 had similar wifi dropouts. You'd think that after changing 4 times that I should at least score 1 good one. Each of the laptops came from different batches and from different stores.

On the other hand, maybe there are 2 issues going on here. One of them is a defective card, another is a driver issue.

On a side note, I had a Thinkpad X1C prior to the UX31A and I also came across the Wifi "Limited connection" issue. And I believe that one was using a Centrino 6205 adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My driver is latest , 15.6.1.20 .

How can I downgrade to 15.4.1.1 ? A friend told that it works by this driver

thanks, regards

0 Kudos
MJ5
Beginner

My Samsung NP900X4C-AO2 is back from service and the problem has gone. They replaced Wifi Centrino Advanced-N 6235 card with a new one.

Samsung regained my confidence. NP900X4C has become as impressive as it should be.

Ultrabook has been tested by my fiance for 2 days and she hasn't notice even one dropout, streaming also fine. (Power saving by wifi card was off ). Later on I'll check transfer rates, and if there are no dropouts when transferring huge files.

Just don't waste your time. There are no wonder drivers that will fix the problem. Replace Centrino with a new one!

It must have been a defective production series by Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don't be so sure. I got mine back from Samsung feeling all happy when they did the same. Problem returned in about 10 days and persisted. Go back and read my posts for FULL details of the process.

0 Kudos
MJ5
Beginner

I guess you were right. My problems with NP900X4C are not over. After Samsung service replaced the dreadful Centrino Advanced-N 6235, there ware no problems simple surfing Internet (using 802.11n). Streaming (for example youtube) was much better than before. I was so sure the problem has gone.

But yesterday It disconnected twice. Today I used the ultrabook with router which caused the least trouble before, but there was again a single connection dropout (with wi-fi icon with * as usually). I managed to test large file transfer. It causes the wi-fi to disconnect (yellow exclamation mark). Then again I had to manually turn the wi-fi off and on.

I'll give it chance tomorrow again. If it persists I'll give it back for service again. But then what? I see that Samsung keeps selling NP900X4C-AO2PL and newer NP900X4C-A03PL, but both have the same Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235. Don't they know the problem or is it solved?

An option would be replace Centrino and lose guarantee - risky. Is the wi-fi card removable or soldered in ultrabooks?

My opinion is manufacturers should let customers chose: money back or replacing wi-fi card with something else than this rubbish.

Do you know any other good ultrabook suitable for working (which means - with at least 15 inches screen) without hopeless Centrino Advanced-N 6235?

0 Kudos
MJ5
Beginner

Replaying my own post. After months of trying the replaced card: No it is not stable. After replacing Centrino I really noticed improvement, but then it started again. Maybe little less frequent? Also it seems to work better with "n" connectivity. But for example when I close NP900X4C-AO2 cover and open it again it is usually disconnected and I have to manually turn Wi-Fi of and on what usually doesn't work for the first time... Once connected works usually fine. It really looks like drivers problem.

Did anybody replaced the Centrino with some other Wi-Fi card in a Samsung Ultrabook like mine?

0 Kudos
SKall5
Beginner

@Mateusz,

I bought a np900x4d-a02 a few weeks ago. Had a lopt of connection problems in the beginning. Now I have a stable connection when i'm downstairs, so relatively close to my router. Speeds are also good: 120-180 Mbps, can watch movies streaming from my nas via wifi without hickups, slowdows etc. However, when moving upstairs trouble starts. Where my other devices still have a good connection (phone, tablets, other laptop), i get a slow unstable connection on the np900. So i'm also thinking about replacing the card: for me two options:

- Killer 1202: reported in this thread as a super stable solution, but expensive (€60) and only n speeds

- Intel ac7902: ac speeds possible, way cheaper (€21), but intel...(http://www.anandtech.com/show/7127/the-joys-of-80211ac-wifi/2 AnandTech | The Joys of 802.11ac WiFi)

I only found an instruction on how to replace the ssd:

http://uselesspuzzles.blogspot.nl/2012/07/how-to-upgrade-ssd-in-your-samsung.html http://uselesspuzzles.blogspot.nl/2012/07/how-to-upgrade-ssd-in-your-samsung.html

I think replacing the wifi card should be even easier, except maybe for (dis)connecting the antennas. Also my worry is that replacing the card will not solve the problem: it also could be an antenna problem, or maybe the location of the antennas is a problem (these laptops are made of aluminium). But you have to start somewhere right. Hope you go first though , so i can learn...

grtz, skally

0 Kudos
EKong
Beginner

I have ASUS zenbook ux31a, I had the 6235 issues, and I replaced it with a killer1202. First of all the antenas dont plug in. You with have to solder it or do it ghetto way, I put double sided tape on the ends to have some surface level and electric taped them down the end of the wires to the antennas. I dont see a huge difference. My range in my college library has not improved, the disconnections still happen. Sigh....$50....

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

INTEL,

Recall this shitty card already, or at least give credit for something else.

It is already concluded that there is no fix for this stupid issue.

So just recall it, opt to fix it or give your customers credit.

Things are only going to get worse from here, customers will start getting under your nails and disrepute the Intel brand name to their peers..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I'm ordering a 6300 Ultimate N card, this one is just not going to get fixed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Kevin wrote:

Yeah, I'm ordering a 6300 Ultimate N card, this one is just not going to get fixed.

There's no bluetooth on that. Is that ok for you?

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

If it will help to sort out this lame card, Intel:

I own a Samsung 700T tablet Windows 8 64 bit machine (model - XE700T1C-A02AU). It shipped with a Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 integrated wireless card. On first use the wireless seemed stable although I did not really drive it hard enough to be sure. 6 weeks ago Microsoft released a driver update for the wireless card. The latest driver for the card from Intel. Straight away I saw dropouts and if moving files greater than 5MB it would drop every time on my home Cisco Wireless Access Point (this is an AP only - not a DSL Router). Reading one of the threads on this site it was recognised by users as a common problem i.e. the new drivers. First I turned off 'N' and saw no change. Reading further the best way to work around was to go back to driver 15.5.6.48 which I did. This has helped insomuch my wireless access at home on a Cisco WAP seems pretty good, although I am on G speeds as N still seems to cause a problem. In work I access a wireless network on a PT Link WA901ND. On this network I see dropouts most of the time and it won't download large files.

Symptoms are connection, then a few seconds later a usable network link. then within a minute it stops me browsing, then drops and cycles through again. At some point it settles down and stays connected for an hour or so if I'm lucky. Nobody else on the AP is affected.

My settings for the card are:

•  

802 11N Channel Width for band 2.4 = auto

802 11N Channel Width for band 5.2 = auto

Ad hoc channel; 802 11b/g = 11

Ad hoc QoS Mode = WMM Disabled

Bluetooth(R) AMP = enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant = disabled

Mixed mode Protection = CTS-to-self Enabled

Preferred band: 5.2Ghz band

Roaming Aggressiveness = 2. medium-low

Transmit Power = highest

Wake on Magic Packet = Enabled

Wake on Pattern Match = Enabled

Wireless Mode = 5. 802 11 a/b/g
  • Power management set to off.

My work-arounds for partial stability seem to centre on:

keeping on the old driver : 15.5.6.48

Turn off N and have it prefer 5.2Ghz band

Turn of Microsoft update service to stop it downloading big files in the background

I bought a USB3 Network adaptor (wired Ethernet) for 50 bucks (not Intel) for wired connectivity (and it works sweet, Intel!)

I hold a Telecom cellular card and that works sweet.

My Android HTC phone is a wireless-to-GSM bridge (This seems to be quite stable although not used in anger)

Apart from this there is little else I can do but wait for Intel to get their A into G and release a firmware or driver update. This is so annoying. Wireless is bread and butter stuff, how could you struggle to do this stuff, Intel? I paid 2 grand for a Samsung tablet that struggles to get on the Internet. My iPad 1 performs better than this. This is not a good story for Samsung and a really bad story for Intel.

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's funny how people still complain and say they have read the thread carefully where they didn't. There was no valid post about that going "back" to 15.5.6.48 would take care of the problems, because 15.5.6.48 is still an Intel driver, and they are all faulty. The only working driver, including n mode and 40Mhz HT mode, except WiDi, is still the Microsoft one version 14.8.8.75. But maybe it's just too difficult for most people to set it up right.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks Klumsch.

I understood that the 14.8.8.75 drivers don't support Windows 8-64 bit. If there is one for the W8-64 can you point me to them on the Intel site because I can't find it.

On the recommendation, there was a thread that suggested this and it did help partially - but you're right it's still has problems. Can you point me to the 14.8.8.75 drivers - I don't mind what driver I use I just want the wireless to work as it's supposed to?

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And here we go again (about never reading the thread carefully). The 14.8.8.75 are Windows 8's own drivers by Microsoft. And so... of course they are also 64bit. The moment you install the Intel ProSet drivers, you will have a 15.x version, which is by Intel, and they all don't work properly. Mostly every Ultrabook will come already with an Intel driver, so people think it's the hardware which is faulty, which is wrong. It is the Intel driver, regardless which version. You have to deinstall the Intel ProSet Wireless Tools including the driver. And then you have to change the driver to the Microsoft one over the Device Manager. If you, for example, have updated the Intel drivers several times, from 15.x.y.z over 15.x.y2.z2 to 15.x2.y3.z3, you have to remove the drivers (roll back) 3 times, until it says version 14.8.8.75 by Microsoft, not Intel. And with those drivers, you won't have any problems anymore.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks bud,

I can't roll back to those drivers period. That's why I asked 1. Are they Windows 8 64bit cause I did not know they were, and where can I find them. If you don't know where they are downloadable then just tell us that, if you do just tell us that instead. All of us on this forum simply want to know what drivers work? so thanks for your clarity in the Windows version of them. Where can we get them? And request Intel to give us a fix - even if its the old drivers - on its website given Microsoft points us to the maker of the drivers so don't offer a download...

I don't enjoy, and I doubt others don't too, trawling through hundreds of comments on this problem so yes I may be reaching for answers but that's the best we can all do.

Intel, please point us to a driver that has proven to work in the past even if that's the one released by Microsoft on your behalf!

Thanks

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Like I said, they are included with Windows 8, you can't download them "somewhere". You don't need to downlod them "somewhere"... Just hit the remove driver button several times, not the roll back one. At some point, every Intel driver will the removed and the last one available would be the Microsoft one...

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks Klumsch.

I have uninstalled and ticked remove drivers a few times and yes I am on the 14.8.8.75. I'll see how I get on. Hopefully this will do until Intel releases a real fix.

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why? A fix for what? If you don't need/use WiDi, you don't need any "fixed" Intel drivers.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Wow that's interesting! The Windows driver 14.8.8.75 will not run 'N' - it tries, connects and then drops - and returns the same system error as the old driver (Windows Event Vwr)

>>>>>:

The description for Event ID 5060 from source NETwNe64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP6

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

>>>>

When I turn off 'N' in advanced driver setting the problem goes away. The old drivers too I had to turn off 'N'. It looks like the file - NETwNe64 - is missing or corrupted???

C-

0 Kudos