Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

bump... someone comment. there has got to be something we can do to stop the interruption of lag spikes, what a joke spend all that money for junk.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have also had the same problems with a samsung 5 series running preinstalled win8.

intel have releasewd new drivers dated the 21.1.13

i installed these last night and the problem does seem to have gone away at the moment

BUT..... due to the sporadic nature of this fault i havent had enough time to test it fully yet to determine if it is a real fix or just a slight improvement.

i shall report back after a proper testing over the weekend.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For what it's worth my adapter seems to be performing much better ever since I switched the Wireless Mode to 802.11g

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same sporadic WiFi issue with:

- PC brand/model/OS: Asus Ultrabook / Windows8 (purchased just before Christmas in Paris)

- Wireless network adapter: Intel(R) Centrinol(R) Advanced-N 6235

802.11n channel width for band 2.4

Type of security: WPA2 - Personal

Cyphering : AES

Intel driver version: 15.5.0.43 (16/08/2012)

Used at home behind a wireless DSL router

Another PC running fine at home (Wireless network adpater: Atheros AR5B97)

Wireless network adapter defect? a virus ? a problem with the security association ? power saving mechanism ?...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same for me too on a ASUS zenbook ux32VD/windows8

and a Motorala router: SBG6580 SURFBOARD with 802.11n wireless technology

Wifi is slower than my 8 years old computer on xp and I have huge lag during games and some applications.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with my new Samsung Series 5. After trying all the above solutions, it appears that uninstalling the device drivers may have worked for the moment. I obviously hope the problem doesn't return as it is incredibly annoying - my phone can find WiFi networks and connect when my laptop cannot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well many many months off and i still have a piece of crap laptop, with no problems according to Samsung and no response from Intel. Just disgusting! the laptop is so sporadic it took 3 re -loads of the laptop to read over everyones comments, my son cant do homework on this laptop and connection suddenly drops and he loses work and just basically the laptop is pure and simply a waste of time, and how the hell it hasnt been smashed up the wall i do not know!! i really like samsung, but this intel problem as put me off completly, no care for anything and i wouldn't mind but the cost of these things is well above some other laptops available on the market.

INTEL PLEASE READ THIS FORUM DONT IGNORE LIKE YOU HAVE FOR OVER 5 MONTHS. THIS IS NOT GOOD PUBLICITY!!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

just chiming in to add another faulty wireless adapter to the list...

ASUS UX32A, upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium to Windows 8 64 bit Ultimate and wireless connectivity saw a sudden drop. ASUS doesn't seem to acknowledge that there is a problem and believes that doing a factory reset will magically make it work again.

Surely Intel must realize that there's an issue with this line of wireless adapters.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My next laptop definitely won't have an Intel Wifi NIC unless I only want 54mb or lower connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For those who are still having trouble in windows 8, try this:

1. Open your available wireless network connections (list of wifi networks)
  2. Connect to your router
  3. right click the network once you have connected to it
  4. select "view connection properties"
  5. under the "security" tab, click on "advanced settings"
  6. Select "enable FIPS"

It seemed to have fixed the problem with some devices, and my connection has been working ever since. Until we get word from Intel or from our PC manufacturers, there's not much else we can do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Andy,

on my win8 I cannot find the Advanced Settings with FIPS.. I only see security type, encryption and security key...

Where did you found that?

HI INTEL!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!! WE BOUGHT NEW NOTEBOOK AND IT IS USELESS BECAUSE OF THE PROBLEM OF YOUR WIFI CARD!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Created a profile just to add my voice to this list - same problem, brand new Samsung Series 5 550P5C, but getting the same sort of bizarre behaviour with the wifi connection as everyone else here - dropped connection, slow loading speeds on internet browsing etc.

The internet connection is slower and less reliable on this shiny new machine than it was on my four year old Dell Vostro, which cost half the price back then.

Reading through all these posts, with only one generic answer provided by Intel, it seems we need to put them under more pressure before they'll do anything about it.

Can anyone suggest any computer magazines or websites where we could publicise the problem we're all having? If there is a design fault in the adaptor or the drivers that must surely be a story in the tech world?

If we can make it news, you can bet they'll do something about it...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI andy.. Where is the FIPS? I cannot find it.. Hey intel!!! We all hav problems here please fix it! bought a new asus ux32dv and it has a wifi prob! Find a way!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It doesn't look like enabling FIPS is a long term solution. I still have a really slow connection when I enable it, and some networks are not compatible with it. Not all networks may support it, so if you don't see it, you probably don't have that option.

On Windows 8:

(From the desktop)

1. Left click the wifi icon in your taskbar (bottom right of screen)
  2. click on your wifi network to connect to it
  3. After you have connected to it, right click it and select "view connection properties
  4. under security, click on "advanced settings"
  5. under 802.11, click on "enable FIPS"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi Andy, I don't have the "Advanced Settings" on my Windows 8... my windows 8 is preinstalled on my laptop.

Intel is IGNORING US.... if you searched it on internet all don't have the correct answer to this Centrino Wireless problem... and they are not doing anything...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

weeks later im still having issues, intel please fix this problem. im going to post this to a pc news website soon... ill spend hours typing up a paper about how bad this problem is.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried the FIPS suggestion with no luck. It only remained stable for a few minutes.

William, please do write something to PC news websites.....maybe then Intel may grace us with a response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

PLease do so Bro.. so that all the people will know that this is a piece if junk.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello everyone,

+1 suffering from this problem on my Samsung 530U4C laptop with Intel 6235 Network Card.

Can you please let me know whether this problem is related to Windows 8? Or do users of Windows 7 also have this problem? I got my laptop about 1 month ago and it had windows 8 preinstalled. I was thinking of downgrading to Windows 7 in order to get rid of this issue, but I guess that would not help, would it?

Thank you for your info in advance!

... and yeah, INTEL, PLEASE get this to work!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

SOrry I've had this laptop since July/aug 2012 on windows 7, and still have the problem, despite the laptop going back to Samsung my problem still persists! Sorry not the answer you wanted!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi everyone, I just registered to add my bad experience with this "wifi card", I bought the last Dell XPS 13 (Jan 2013) and the connection is so unstable (Downloads, streams, online games...) that I'll have to buy an USB/RJ45 adapter to use the laptop. I still have my 5yo Macbook and an old XPS on the same Wifi without any problems...Can't believe that this issue isn't solved since 08/12 ...

0 Kudos