Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Trying to use My WiFi Desktop to create personal hotspot

DDary
Novice

dI am connected to a wireless network (at a hotel) and I would like to use my laptop as a hotspot for my phone. I can connect to the wifi network using the laptop and phone directly, although only one connection at a time is possible.

My laptop has an Ultimate-N 6300 card. I have Wireless_15.6.1_s64 drivers installed. I installed Intel My WiFi Dashboard_15.6.0_64. I enabled the hotspot feature and I am able to connect my phone to the hotspot. However, it does not work.

When I look at network and sharing center, there is an adapter for the personal hotspot. It shows "no internet access". When I look at the properties, under sharing, it says internet connection sharing has been disabled by the network administrator. I'm assuming that is why it's not working, but I'm not logged on to the corporate network so I don't think group policy should be being enforced.

I tried looking at the policies using gpedit.msc. The policy to prohibit the use of ics on the dns is disabled. Also, the ics service is set to automatic. If I try to start it, it shuts down, saying it will start when it's required.

Anyone know of a way around this? Is it possible the problem is because the versions don't match on the driver and the dashboard?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello darylm,

I understand you are not getting internet access on the phone when using Intel® My WiFi Dashboard as a hotspot.

If Intel® My WiFi Dashboard allows you to enable WiFi Direct and Hotspot I believe it is working properly; or at least it is not installed as Lite version but as Full version. The software versions should work together.

I was able to confirm that by stopping the ICS service the internet connection stops to my phone; but it was still connected locally, no visible changes from Intel® My WiFi Dashboard as the options remain on. As soon as I restart the service the internet connection resumes.

Please check the following in Intel® My WiFi Dashboard: You may open the Help window by clicking on the "?" button. Go to the search tab, type "ICS" and open the only result you will find, which shows some information for "Unable to Activate Internet Connection Sharing".

I also wonder what would happen if you try connecting to a different network. It is possible the issue is coming from the hotel connection somehow since only one device connects at a given time or from Windows* (services), not necessarily a group policy.

It is an issue difficult to troubleshoot; however I hope these findings will give you an idea or a possible solution.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

I gave up trying to get the software to work. I asked the IT department and they said ICS is blocked, even though the service is running. I cannot find anything that might be preventing it from working other than group policy, but even that I'm not sure about. I can connect to my laptop, but I cannot get a connection through it, which leads me to suspect ICS, even though the service is running.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are currently investigating about this issue. We will let you know as soon as we get an update on this case.

Thank you for your patience.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please try using the latest Intel® Proset Software version for your wireless adapter and operating system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

0 Kudos