Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7726 Discussions

Two devices missing drivers after reinstall of Win 10 on Dell Inspiron

hajo70
Novice

Hi there,

I am currently helping a friend with an old Dell Inspiron 15 3558. Made a clean, new installation of Win 10 on a fresh partitioned and formatted hard drive. We had four Unknown devices in Device Manager and solved two of them by installing related old Dell drivers. Two to go....

Dell's SupportAssist or Dell Update can't solve it, nor Intel or Windows update. Dell's support  community didn't give me enough help either.

1st devide is an Unknown device
Device type: Other
Manufacturer: Unknown
Driver not installed (code 28)

Information
Path to device: USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC\5&705CAFC&0&6
Hardware ID: USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC&REV_0001 and USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC
Compatible ID: USB\Class_E0&SubClass_01&Prot_01, USB\Class_E0&SubClass_01 and USB\Class_E0
Name on physical device: \Device\USBPDO-4

2nd device is a SM buss controller
Driver not installed (code 28)

Information
Path to device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FB
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&SUBSYS_06B01028, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&CC_0C0500 and PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&CC_0C05
Compatible ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2&REV_03, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CA2, PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C0500, PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C05, PCI\VEN_8086, PCI\CC_0C0500 and PCI\CC_0C05
BIOS device name: \_SB.PCI0.SBUS

The 1st is obviously related to Intel's Wireless Bluetooth. Tried with Dell's:

• Intel Wireless 3160 Bluetooth Driver, Network_Driver_TNG4K_WN32_18.12.0.3_A01.ESE
  • Wireless 1801 Wifi and BT Driver

The 2nd is a System Mngmt bus controller, e.g. some sort of chipset. Tried with Dell's:

• Intel Chipset Device Software, Intel-Chipset-Device-Software_5MPRF_WIN_10.1.18121.8164_A09.EXE
  • Intel Management Engine Interface Driver, Chipset_Driver_KR93T_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

Now I don't want to continue with trial-and-error since I will damage my new install with a bunch of really old drivers. Any idea, how shouls I attack this situation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Feel free to do so...

...S

View solution in original post

9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The SMBus entry is resolved by installing the Intel Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package. The other entry is specific to the Intel Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages. You will find all of these packages on this Dell Support page: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3558-laptop/drivers.

Hope this helps,

...S

hajo70
Novice

Hi Scott and many thanks for your response!

As you could see at the end of my post I've installed, from Dells driver download area and with "Success", both "Intel Wireless and Bluetooth driver" and the "Intel Chipset Device Software". The problems do, however, not go away.

So still need some help with this... There seems to be a generic Chipset INF utility on Intel Download center. Could that be used to try to resolve at least the chipset drivers for me? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you should always use the Chipset Device Software package provided by the motherboard vendor. This will be the package specific to the chipset used on this motherboard.

Now, if things are done in the wrong order (i.e. package not installed before connecting to Windows Update), you may need to do a replacement install of the Chipset Device Software package. To do this, do the following:

1. Right-click on the .EXE file provided by Dell and open it using a tool like 7-Zip.
  2. Extract all of the files and directories inside the .EXE file into a temporary directory.
  3. Open a Command or PowerShell Window As Administrator.
  4. Change the current directory to be this temporary directory.
  5. Execute command: ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall".
  6. Reboot.
  7. Delete the temporary directory.

Now, to that other device, my question is: do you see an Intel Wireless device appearing in the Network Devices section? If so, what is it? Do you see an Intel Wireless Bluetooth device appearing in the Bluetooth section.

...S

hajo70
Novice

Many, many thanks Scott!

Regarding the Intel Wireless device, I installed another package for the PC than support had directed me towards. Now that exclamation mark disappeared, and I can see it in Network as Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) as well as in Bluetooth as Intel Wireless Bluetooth.

The other device, the SM Bus, failed. Yes, the package was installed after the fresh Win 10 install (of course) and the first batch of updates that comes automatically.

Installed 7-ZIP, extracted the files as you told me, ran the command in a Command window from that folder as Admin and got a message, and log files, which says that the install was successful. The exclamation mark is however still there after reboot.

If you have the time to respond again, I may not be able to answer directly since it's late here and I really need to hit the bed...

0 Kudos
hajo70
Novice

Also tried to make a manual install via the Device Manager from that unpacked folder and it didn't work either, "couldn't find drivers for the device" or likewise...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You'll have to tell me what the error message it that is displayed for it.

...S

0 Kudos
hajo70
Novice

Hm, under Optional updates in Windows update, where I've never looked there before...., I found "Intel - Other hardware - Mobile 5th Gen Intel Core SMBus Controller - 9CA2". I guess that could be something to try?! 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Feel free to do so...

...S

hajo70
Novice

That solved it. Well, now I feel embarassed. You've given me good support that obviously wasn't really necessary since I hadn't looked everywhere I should. But at least communicating with you got me looking around more than I had so it has been really valuable. So thank you Scott!

FYI, Device Manager said, among other things:
SM buss controller
No compatible device driver found. Driver not installed (code 28)

Then, why didn't Windows installed the driver it already had...?!

Again, thanks Scott!

0 Kudos